Advice for a College Student Who's Changing Plans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SockRabbit

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

In high school, I often thought about medicine. But I decided it was not for me. I was pretty bored with math and science classes and was much more of a "humanities guy".

I took a gap year after I graduated, and I taught in an underperforming middle school. The work was incredibly demanding, physically, mentally, and emotionally. I absolutely dreaded going to work every morning, but I did anyways. And it was weird because I hated it, and I struggled so hard. But there was something about working in education that drew me in.

Following that year, I did more work in education, and I've put quite a bit of time and effort into exploring a future in teaching. I realized that I was fooling myself this entire time, and that teaching is not for me. I feel a potent sense of dread every single time I walk into class. I struggle to teach effectively, and I've finally come to terms with the fact that teaching is probably not the career for me.

As a psych major, I took the opportunity to take various science classes, like a molecular cell biology class about immunology, physiology...etc... And I've found that I'm really interested in the human body, especially the brain. This made me reconsider medicine. If I want, I can keep my psychology major and take the necessary pre-requisite pre-med classes to be able to apply to medical school after I graduate. However, this would be a pretty big decision, as I would have to fill up every slot not devoted to a psych class to a pre-med class.

Medicine is something I've thought about on and off my entire life. However, I'm not like any of the pre-med students at my school. I go to a very competitive university, and all the pre-meds are kids who've known they wanted to go into medicine for years. They're intense and completely devoted. I guess I'm not at that level yet. Not to say that I wouldn't be able to compete though. I just want to spend my life helping people. I don't care about making a ton of money. And if it's work that I believe in, I am ready to work as hard as I must.

Do you guys have any advice for me? I guess I'm taking steps in the medical path pretty late. And I'm not 100% sure that this is the right path for me. I want to explore it though, just like I did with education. I could really use any insights you guys can provide. Was anyone else in a similar situation? Am I walking to my own demise?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It sounds like the best start would be volunteering and/or clinical experience. If you're looking to help people, medicine is a great route to go. Unfortunately, you may find it as hopeless as education. Many of the social issues plaguing education, plague medicine as well.

If it is not to late to make the switch, then you may want to tip toe into it. I would focus more on getting exposure to medicine (shadowing or volunteering in a clinical setting), then taking a full course load of pre-reqs. You are going to need the shadowing and volunteering for your app process just as much as you are going to need the grades. After you made your mind up, then add more pre-reqs. It would suck to load up on pre-reqs without the volunteer stuff and not get in, or load up on science classes, start volunteering and find out you weren't as interested in medicine as you thought.

Don't compare yourself to the other pre-meds. If medicine is something you want to do, then go get it done. After you commit, you will probably find that all the other pre-meds aren't freaks and you may find some more your speed. You will need to become completely devoted, but you don't have to match them in intensity as long as you do well.

Do not rush! Do not rush your decision. Make sure you know what you are getting into and what you have to do to get there. If you decide on medicine do not rush to catch up on the course load and do poorly, and do not skip on your volunteer hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
Shadow some docs and maybe a PA also. PA is a shorter and quicker route and you might find you like what they do more than a physician. Just a thought. The first step though is to see if a job in healthcare is right for you.