Advice for a group interview

Kurk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interviewing next week for a summer hospital volunteering program I signed up for.

My friend who applied last year said that you kinda have to "fight" to get your word in—he didn't really elaborate.

I've never done a group interview before so I'm not how this works.

I don't want to cut people off like Trump or anything but I will if I have to.

Can anyone tell me what to expect?

Also, are khakis and a button down shirt without a tie alright? Business casual?

I dressed in a suit last year for another interview and looked like a complete idiot when everyone else was wearing a polo.

Members don't see this ad.

Group interview as in, you're being interviewed with other applicants?

Sit to the right, as in, the interviewer's left. People look left-to-right. It makes you more noticeable

At the high school level, you can never go wrong with business casual. Go with the tie, if you feel out of place with one on, you can take it off in the bathroom.

Do NOT interrupt others, it gives a really bad impression. You will be given time to speak. If not, start talking as soon as someone else finishes.

I conduct group interviews for my uni's student leader recruitment and sometimes we plant our current scholars as undercover interviewees to see how students interact with their peers. Nothing makes me cross off a candidate's name as fast as when they interrupt or disrespect their peers. We've cut out many 4.0+ GPA/35-36 ACT's for failing to conduct themselves respectfully with their peers.

Be humble and show that you can get along with others. Never interrupt others and respectfully wait for your turn. If you think someone else is hogging speaking time time, the interviewer probably thinks the same thing. If you interrupt them, now both of you have checkmarks on your interviewer's evaluation.

Depending on if this is a cocktail party style setup for group interview, limit your food consumption and just hold a glass of water or juice if you're actually speaking to someone. Make sure you only hold the drink in your left hand so you can give a firm, dry handshake with your right hand.

Always wear business professional if you're worried about being under-dressed. You can always dress it down in the lavatory by taking off the suit jacket and/or tie and/or rolling up sleeves. A nice vest usually comes off as a nice in-between for B-Cas and B-Prof attire. That said, a slightly overdressed candidate always stands out :)

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, would it be appropriate to wear a leather phone case on my belt?

Also, would it be appropriate to wear a leather phone case on my belt?
It may come across as being a try-hard for someone your age. I'd avoid it if you can.

It may come across as being a try-hard for someone your age. I'd avoid it if you can.
But I already wear it everyday to school along with a pocket protector :confused:

If I have a cold, should I shake the interviewer's hand or should I let them know I'm sick?

If I have a cold, should I shake the interviewer's hand or should I let them know I'm sick?
Never shake anyone's hand if you're sick.

They will appreciate it if you don't and just say something like, "I'm sorry, I'd shake your hand but I'm a bit sick and don't want to pass it on to anyone."

I'm interviewing next week for a summer hospital volunteering program I signed up for.

My friend who applied last year said that you kinda have to "fight" to get your word in—he didn't really elaborate.

I've never done a group interview before so I'm not how this works.

I don't want to cut people off like Trump or anything but I will if I have to.

Can anyone tell me what to expect?

Also, are khakis and a button down shirt without a tie alright? Business casual?

I dressed in a suit last year for another interview and looked like a complete idiot when everyone else was wearing a polo.

You want to stand out and not blend in. Therefore, if everyone was wearing a polo, the decision to wear a suit was superb. Make sure you look sharp and on point during the group interview. They are accessing which students are more assertive and confident, and weeding out those that are timid. Have a smile on, be courteous, but at the same time when there's a question you have an answer to bring out the Donald Trump within you. Pucker in those lips, squint those eyes, stand tall with your chest out, swing your hair to the left, lift your left finger up in the air and preach your answers loud and clear, enunciating every letter as if the interviewers didn't know any English. Don't worry, if you follow my advice your end results with be HUGE. Good luck. Cheers.