Advice for a new NS resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bnein

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

I have received plenty of good information from this forum so hopefully for my first post it will not be different.

I matched into an academic NS residency program in Europe, starting in less than a month. Ideally some attendings/residents would share their infinite wisdom and previous experience with me on how to get a great start and avoid making a fool of myself. If you only have a spare moment, then perhaps answer a few questions such as:

- What do "they" expect you to know at the beginning? The amount of information and the depth of it can be staggering. The more I read the more obvious it becomes how little I know, it can be frustrating at times.
E.g. how detailed does your anatomy knowledge need to be? If you had 14 days to prepare what area / book / skillset would you focus on?

- Generally good advice on do's and don's in the beginning? Specifics would be most welcome since I already intend on spending all my time at work, reading and research while being positive and friendly.

How did you survive the shifts? The rounds? The outpatient clinic? Being the good OR assistent? Any library that has video clips explaining in detail the entry level surgeries (cranies, VP shunts, cranial and spine entry ports)?

As you can see the questions are numerous. Any information would be much appreciated, even stories about your own time as resident. The good, the bad and the ugly!

Regards
B9

Members don't see this ad.