Advice for a non-passing transman who wants to go to medical school (for a student of mine)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gauss44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm tutoring a student who wanted me to post this question: Do you have any advice (of any kind) for a pre-med who is transgender and cannot yet transition?

He is a junior in college and worried about silent prejudice working it's way into letters of recommendation, about finding places to volunteer that are trans-friendly, etc.

(He already plans to contact Fenway Community Health Center and JRI in Boston, but is open to additional recommendations about this and anything else relevant to being openly transgender and "non-passing" in medicine.)

PM's are welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

There was a girl in the class after me who was transgender and pre-transition. No one batted an eyelash (at least as far as she told me). I wish I had more info - I never really saw her after disappearing into rotations in 3rd year - but I hope this helps a little :)

Reactions: 1 user