Advice for a Pre-Med English major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jordan Ashley

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read the other posts about this subject but I'm really looking for some information specific to me... so any help would be appreciated!

I am about to transfer out of community college and I have completed all of my core curriculum. When I get to the university I want to go Pre-Med, but I am an English major. I love English, but Medicine is what I have always wanted to do.

In all honestly, do I have a chance to get into medical school, and from this point on what do I need to do to give myself the best chance possible?

I'm about to turn 21 in June, and I had to take a year off of school when I had my daughter because I was very ill during my pregnancy. She's one now, and everyone keeps telling me to just become a teacher and start making money, but my passion has always been medicine, and I want to give my daughter the best life possible even if it means I have to work extremely hard for the next 10 years. I am absolutely willing to do whatever it takes to get into medical school, but changing my major will set me back about a year, and I really do enjoy English. Advice?

Also, my father-in-law is a top Anesthesiologst at the hospital in our city; he's been there about 30 years. We have never had much to talk about which is why I didn't ask him about this, but would it be a good idea to ask to shadow him if he's willing? He also offered to get me a job at the hospital as a surgical tech if I wanted, would that be beneficial?

Thank you all for your time and help!

Members don't see this ad.

I've read the other posts about this subject but I'm really looking for some information specific to me... so any help would be appreciated!

I am about to transfer out of community college and I have completed all of my core curriculum. When I get to the university I want to go Pre-Med, but I am an English major. I love English, but Medicine is what I have always wanted to do.

In all honestly, do I have a chance to get into medical school, and from this point on what do I need to do to give myself the best chance possible?

I'm about to turn 21 in June, and I had to take a year off of school when I had my daughter because I was very ill during my pregnancy. She's one now, and everyone keeps telling me to just become a teacher and start making money, but my passion has always been medicine, and I want to give my daughter the best life possible even if it means I have to work extremely hard for the next 10 years. I am absolutely willing to do whatever it takes to get into medical school, but changing my major will set me back about a year, and I really do enjoy English. Advice?

Also, my father-in-law is a top Anesthesiologst at the hospital in our city; he's been there about 30 years. We have never had much to talk about which is why I didn't ask him about this, but would it be a good idea to ask to shadow him if he's willing? He also offered to get me a job at the hospital as a surgical tech if I wanted, would that be beneficial?

Thank you all for your time and help!

Shadow/job: yes/yes
English major: I'm pretty biased and I think englishdegrees are complete trash, but it won't harm your chances at getting into medical school. Just do well on your prereqs and the MCAT.

Also, you don't seem non-traditional at all, unless having a kid makes one non-trad... You're only 20 and you have like two years left right? Sounds completely normal....

If you enjoy English, then stick with it. Not only will you enjoy the rest of your college career, but you will be different than the 10000000 biology majors, and you'll probably have an advantage when it comes to writing your personal statement and the verbal reasoning (VR) portion of the MCAT.

Shadow, work and spread your time out accordingly since you have out-of-school priorities. Good luck!