Advice for a recent grad please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wiscyon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope I am not repeating a thread. I didn't see something particularly similar to my question. Anyway...

I recently graduated, literally 2 days ago. My grades have come in and they are looking mediocre as usual. I had a VERY bad start to undergrad, 2.8. I had somewhat of an upward trend going and managed to get to 3.2 but with my senior year again I managed to sink back down to a 3.1. I have a pattern of doing well once then doing poorly the next. My science GPA should be about the same because I've only taken science courses basically.

I don't want to make excuses or explain why I did bad. In the end, my grades lie mostly on my mistakes and inability to handle things correctly. I had a lot of things going on with my family which I'm hoping I can finally get away from now that I'm graduated, and just have a somewhat of a fresh start.

I was wondering what your advice would be for the next step. I delayed my MCAT to this summer. I took a practice exam and got a 32 w/o much practice. Knowing myself I could probably bring that up to a 34/35 with some more practice and covering the topics I'm weak at.

I know it is pretty late for a lot of things but the reason I haven't applied to an SMP is bc I wasn't sure if mentally, the current me could handle it.

Other info that might help:

Volunteered at hospitals
Shadowed at different hospitals, in nice and not so nice areas
Learned a new language and went to that country for a year, a lot of English teaching experiences on the side
Worked, not much, but it ties back to the language thing
While abroad (I went to Korea) I spent maybe 600 hours in a cancer research lab
Technically, for my physiology class, our final paper is published... but it is the professor's journal so I don't really see how it matters
Not a URM

tl;dr My GPA sucks, my MCAT is potentially decent, my ECs are average, what should I do for this coming year to become better??

(btw my parents are requesting I apply this year even tho I told them there's no use, I'm hoping to bank my chances more on applying in summer 2015, so have only 2 years in between, if possible, please let me know if it's still reasonable for me to think like that >_<)

Edit: I thought letters of rec was something I'm lacking but turns out not to be the case. But still.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1) Don't listed to mom and pops. Applying this year wouldn't do you much good. You don't even have your MCAT scheduled yet, and you should devote at least a couple of months to studying for that.
2) Ideally, you'd attend some kind of post-bacc to raise your GPA, but I doubt that you'd score well anyhow. People don't usually change their GPA that much. It'd be sad if you wasted your time and money to get a more firm mediocre GPA. Instead, I suggest finding some work in the medical field (scribe is good), studying for your MCAT to take in a year from now, and apply next year to DO schools only. You'll be screened out of almost any MD program.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope. Says so in my other info. If there was an opposite of URM that would be me.

It sounds like you're saying that your GPA problem is really "self-management" -- right? If so, that's the skill you need to learn. (You will need that skill to succeed in medical school, MD or DO) Figure out a plan for that, and execute that plan so you know it works before applying.

If I were interviewing you for a spot, I'd ask about your low GPA/high MCAT, and an insightful explanation of the problem and how you fixed it (with proof) would make the difference.

oops I did something wrong don't know how to delete T_T

It sounds like you're saying that your GPA problem is really "self-management" -- right? If so, that's the skill you need to learn. (You will need that skill to succeed in medical school, MD or DO) Figure out a plan for that, and execute that plan so you know it works before applying.

If I were interviewing you for a spot, I'd ask about your low GPA/high MCAT, and an insightful explanation of the problem and how you fixed it (with proof) would make the difference.

So you think I should apply this year still?
I have a friend who has a similar track record as me, stellar high school performance at test-in/magnet schools, poor performance in undergrad. She and her mom keep saying it is due to depression.

Maybe sadness is part of it but I think it is better for me to take responsibility for my actions. I feel like so many people have way sadder stories than me so it just feels stupid to complain about what has happened to me. A lot of things did happen, I just think it would give off a bad image to focus on that rather than try to fix what's been done.

That's why I'll be moving away from the source of the issue next month. I think the distance will help a lot. It did when I was abroad. I did so many more things right when I had that space. Considering that I was hoping I could figure out what the best things to do would be.

But I heard that GPA stays pretty static so I'm pretty confused how one can move forward.

Nope. Says so in my other info. If there was an opposite of URM that would be me.

Sorry, I missed that. If you are shooting for MD, you have no shot without a post bac program. Interested in DO?

So you think I should apply this year still?
I have a friend who has a similar track record as me, stellar high school performance at test-in/magnet schools, poor performance in undergrad. She and her mom keep saying it is due to depression.

Maybe sadness is part of it but I think it is better for me to take responsibility for my actions. I feel like so many people have way sadder stories than me so it just feels stupid to complain about what has happened to me. A lot of things did happen, I just think it would give off a bad image to focus on that rather than try to fix what's been done.

That's why I'll be moving away from the source of the issue next month. I think the distance will help a lot. It did when I was abroad. I did so many more things right when I had that space. Considering that I was hoping I could figure out what the best things to do would be.

But I heard that GPA stays pretty static so I'm pretty confused how one can move forward.

So you're saying your lower GPA was due to external influences? (family problems, etc.?) And that moving away would fix everything? Possible, but that would leave the impression that if bad things happened in your life in medical school, that you are likely to still struggle with the resilience to overcome them. Moving away may very well be a good step to take, but I would still want to see some demonstrated improvement before I'd advocate for you as an applicant.

How about you rock that MCAT, then move away, then take a few upper-level science courses in your new location with solid A's to demonstrate that you're capable?

And no, don't apply this year.

Sorry, I missed that. If you are shooting for MD, you have no shot without a post bac program. Interested in DO?

I don't know much about DO but get told that a lot. I'm willing to do post-bacc too but I've heard so many things about how someone with a poor GPA probably wouldn't do well in it so I'm kind of scared of that. And even so isn't it late to apply to those? If I did apply to something maybe I would consider the 2 year one at NYMC because it's close to my mom and as a reach maybe Tufts (their deadline is later).

I'm ok with enrolling in one after a year as well... idk what is better to do...

So you're saying your lower GPA was due to external influences? (family problems, etc.?) And that moving away would fix everything? Possible, but that would leave the impression that if bad things happened in your life in medical school, that you are likely to still struggle with the resilience to overcome them. Moving away may very well be a good step to take, but I would still want to see some demonstrated improvement before I'd advocate for you as an applicant.

How about you rock that MCAT, then move away, then take a few upper-level science courses in your new location with solid A's to demonstrate that you're capable?

Major family problems + I came in with 72 credits and got suggested into really difficult classes that were above my level. In the end I only had more hard classes to take when I could barely figure out what was needed of me in college at the time. And then I stupidly was consistent in taking on way too much at a time.

That's kind of what my current plan was but I am not sure if it is enough?

It's awkward to go into details but I'm moving away because I need to get away from my dad who long story short has a lot of issues and after waiting for a long time, hasn't changed.

Tell your parents that it would be faster for them to waste their money in application fees by flushing it down the toilet. Your GPA is not competitive for any MD school and marginally for DO schools. Even then, the academic pattern you have shown implies you'd be a poor risk for a medical student.

What you should do is FIX your problem. I have a suspicion that it's your parent who want you to be a doctor, not you. Am I right?

Talk to a counselor about your habits...I don't think it's how you learn that's the problem.

My GPA sucks, my MCAT is potentially decent, my ECs are average, what should I do for this coming year to become better??

(btw my parents are requesting I apply this year even tho I told them there's no use, I'm hoping to bank my chances more on applying in summer 2015, so have only 2 years in between, if possible, please let me know if it's still reasonable for me to think like that >_<)

OP, if you want to own up to your own issues like you say you do, you'll need to take the time to demonstrate your capability and dedication in another, longer term avenue. Move away from the complicated Dad, get a research or clinical job and try taking some mid-level classes part-time. If you can, add a volunteer gig too. Your job for the next two to three years it to prove that you can handle the stress of severing yourself from a maladaptive family member, multiple professional and academic responsibilities and still find time for service; in short, prove you'll be able to handle medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Tell your parents that it would be faster for them to waste their money in application fees by flushing it down the toilet. Your GPA is not competitive for any MD school and marginally for DO schools. Even then, the academic pattern you have shown implies you'd be a poor risk for a medical student.

What you should do is FIX your problem. I have a suspicion that it's your parent who want you to be a doctor, not you. Am I right?

Talk to a counselor about your habits...I don't think it's how you learn that's the problem.

My GPA sucks, my MCAT is potentially decent, my ECs are average, what should I do for this coming year to become better??

I thought that might have been the case when I was a sophomore but since then I shadowed in different areas to see if this was what I really wanted and it is. I don't think shadowing encompasses the whole experience but I've been in the hospital a lot and I know I love it. My undergrad major has a lot to do with research and I know I don't want to that for a career.

My parents are just heavily involved because 1) their culture 2) my mom supports me financially so I owe it to her to tell her what's up.

So you are saying I should talk to my advisor first, self-reflect, etc. but then execute this how?

I don't know much about DO but get told that a lot. I'm willing to do post-bacc too but I've heard so many things about how someone with a poor GPA probably wouldn't do well in it so I'm kind of scared of that. And even so isn't it late to apply to those? If I did apply to something maybe I would consider the 2 year one at NYMC because it's close to my mom and as a reach maybe Tufts (their deadline is later).

I'm ok with enrolling in one after a year as well... idk what is better to do...

Yeah it's probably too late this year, but it is your only shot at an MD school. So wait a year. Goro is right, applying this year is flushing money down the toilet. Complete waste

OP, if you want to own up to your own issues like you say you do, you'll need to take the time to demonstrate your capability and dedication in another, longer term avenue. Move away from the complicated Dad, get a research or clinical job and try taking some mid-level classes part-time. If you can, add a volunteer gig too. Your job for the next two to three years it to prove that you can handle the stress of severing yourself from a maladaptive family member, multiple professional and academic responsibilities and still find time for service; in short, prove you'll be able to handle medical school.

Thanks for the advice. I guess I should slow down a bit. Do you think, given my poor ug performance, I would be able to get a research/clinical job in the first place? Would it be better to work under a professor w/o pay instead?

Not just adviser, I sense a motivation problem. Your school should have a counselling center, so seek them out for help. Or talk not just to your adviser, but to a very trusted professor.

Then talk to your school's learning or education center. if the problem isn't motivation, maybe it's time mgt.

So you are saying I should talk to my advisor first, self-reflect, etc. but then execute this how?[/QUOTE]

Yeah it's probably too late this year, but it is your only shot at an MD school. So wait a year. Goro is right, applying this year is flushing money down the toilet. Complete waste

Ok I will keep it as an option for next year. Thank you for being so helpful.

I'm not sure if you know much about post-baccs but are they very competitive too? Any suggestions on what to do this year so that I might get into one next year?

Thanks for the advice. I guess I should slow down a bit. Do you think, given my poor ug performance, I would be able to get a research/clinical job in the first place? Would it be better to work under a professor w/o pay instead?

I can't speak to the ease or difficulty of securing a job in your area. I know for my research jobs, most of my employers were impressed by my school and GPA but I trained people with a variety of academic pedigrees. I have no idea if clinically oriented jobs, such as scribing, give *two poops about GPA. Your school likely has some sort of career advisement, check with them to see if there's any alumni network you can pull on.

Not just adviser, I sense a motivation problem. Your school should have a counselling center, so seek them out for help. Or talk not just to your adviser, but to a very trusted professor.

Then talk to your school's learning or education center. if the problem isn't motivation, maybe it's time mgt.

So you are saying I should talk to my advisor first, self-reflect, etc. but then execute this how?
[/QUOTE]

I've talked to my advisor once and she's been somewhat of a counselor type of person but I think she's just being too nice to me and always saying "You can do it." Idk if that's part of her job or what... maybe she's scared to hurt my feelings.

I'll try talking to the university health counselor people soon. I'm skeptical about it but it's been a long time coming I think. You're definitely right. Thank for for being blunt with me ><

Reactions: 1 user
You can do well in a post-bacc if you put in the effort to change your habits. You can test the waters slowly by taking 1-2 classes at first while working a part-time job. Study hard and see how you do. This should build up your confidence and then you can go from there.

I'm not sure if you know much about post-baccs but are they very competitive too? Any suggestions on what to do this year so that I might get into one next year?

You don't need to do an official post-bacc program either. You can simply take classes at some colleges/Universities as an unofficial or extended learning post-bacc.

Reactions: 1 user
I can't speak to the ease or difficulty of securing a job in your area. I know for my research jobs, most of my employers were impressed by my school and GPA but I trained people with a variety of academic pedigrees. I have no idea if clinically oriented jobs, such as scribing, give *two poops about GPA. Your school likely has some sort of career advisement, check with them to see if there's any alumni network you can pull on.

Ok I will schedule an appointment with my dept asap! Thank you!

You can do well in a post-bacc if you put in the effort to change your habits. You can test the waters slowly by taking 1-2 classes at first while working a part-time job. Study hard and see how you do. This should build up your confidence and then you can go from there.

You don't need to do an official post-bacc program either. You can simply take classes at some colleges/Universities as an unofficial or extended learning post-bacc.

That sounds pretty manageable. I'll have to look into unoffiical post-baccs for next year then :O Thank you!

I really don't have any experience with those programs. From what I've heard from friends in them, they are not that competitive, but i really don't know. All my friends went to the same program (TCOM's med sci) so I dont know about any others. Sorry!