Advice for an internal medical student is much appreicated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbhdddf

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think trying to slide into pgy2 spot out of the match might be your best bet. Many do open up each year

Thank you, medgator. I however have one more question: say if I get into a prelim/transitional in 2015-2016, but not match to a RadOnc position, can I apply to a PGY2 RadOnc position through 2016-2017 match and start the PGY2 position in 2017, instead of staring in 2018 as a US seniors? Or I can only go to a PGY2 opening outside match?

Thank you, medgator. I however have one more question: say if I get into a prelim/transitional in 2015-2016, but not match to a RadOnc position, can I apply to a PGY2 RadOnc position through 2016-2017 match and start the PGY2 position in 2017, instead of staring in 2018 as a US seniors? Or I can only go to a PGY2 opening outside match?

Unsure. The process has changed I believe. Previously, spots to start before the following year were done outside of the match since rad onc matches 2 years in advance.

Now I think some of those spots have a separate match? You'll need to speak with someone from the last few years who's successfully done it

If you match in a one year position, you can apply for PGY-2 radiation oncology positions starting directly after your one year position finishes or one year after through the match. If you match for a position that doesn't start immediately after your one year internship, what you would do in that interim year is up to you. I've been told that you cannot do a second preliminary or transitional medicine year.

Programs are not allowed to offer first year positions PGY-1 categorical spots or PGY-2 advanced program spots) spots outside the match, even if newly created, if they are participating in the match that year. Since I believe every Rad Onc program uses the match, then every PGY-2 position must be filled through the match. This is what the all-in policy states. Exceptions are positions that become available after Rank Lists are due (February) because of unforeseen circumstances that arise, such as someone dropping out/being fired/transferring, or if the ACGME approves, a new position may be created post-rank list submission. A program cannot create a new position in September and offer it outside the match if they are matching any other positions that year. These positions are sometimes advertised on this forum on the stickied thread for residency openings or on the ASTRO job offerings board, and some are not advertised at all and are only through word of mouth.

I thought that positions that do not fill in the match have to be filled in SOAP, but I feel like there is a way to get around that and conduct interview season round 2. How that works, I cannot say for sure.

Unsure. The process has changed I believe. Previously, spots to start before the following year were done outside of the match since rad onc matches 2 years in advance.

Now I think some of those spots have a separate match? You'll need to speak with someone from the last few years who's successfully done it

Thanks again!

If you match in a one year position, you can apply for PGY-2 radiation oncology positions starting directly after your one year position finishes or one year after through the match. If you match for a position that doesn't start immediately after your one year internship, what you would do in that interim year is up to you. I've been told that you cannot do a second preliminary or transitional medicine year.

Programs are not allowed to offer first year positions PGY-1 categorical spots or PGY-2 advanced program spots) spots outside the match, even if newly created, if they are participating in the match that year. Since I believe every Rad Onc program uses the match, then every PGY-2 position must be filled through the match. This is what the all-in policy states. Exceptions are positions that become available after Rank Lists are due (February) because of unforeseen circumstances that arise, such as someone dropping out/being fired/transferring, or if the ACGME approves, a new position may be created post-rank list submission. A program cannot create a new position in September and offer it outside the match if they are matching any other positions that year. These positions are sometimes advertised on this forum on the stickied thread for residency openings or on the ASTRO job offerings board, and some are not advertised at all and are only through word of mouth.

I thought that positions that do not fill in the match have to be filled in SOAP, but I feel like there is a way to get around that and conduct interview season round 2. How that works, I cannot say for sure.

Very much appreciate your detailed explanation, which is very helpful!