Advice for Beginner Researcher Person Thing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LACMA

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just started doing research at my college. I've been in the lab for hours this past week and I've redone a single simple experiment like 4 times. I've been measuring everything correctly but for some reason every time I use the machines and computers we have in the lab, the numbers and graphs that come out don't make sense. I've been so careful and precise with my measurements, but I'm still not seeing what I want. I guess I just wanted to ask how your experiences are/were with research and get some reassurance that this is normal. I'm probably worrying for nothing, but I feel like such a failure (dramatic, I know.) Does this stuff happen to you guys?

Members don't see this ad.

It happens and usually there is a simple solution- ask someone else in the lab what you're doing wrong. Depending on what you're doing, the cause of the weird numbers may be inherent in your samples. Are there no techs to ask for help?

Uh, what are we supposed to say? Nobody has any idea what goes on in your lab, or what you're doing. If any experiment goes wrong 4 times in a row, then the fault lies in either your materials, your protocol, or you. Ask someone more experienced for help and do it soon.

Also, I am not sure I understand your thought process. "Well this didn't work 3 times in a row, but I'm sure fourth time is the charm!"? You should have asked for advice or insight from your labmates or PI when it went wrong the first time. Get used to asking for help, you'll have to do it all your life.

Edit: What I said came off a bit harsh. You're not a failure, you're a beginner. The learning curve in research can be steep, but you'll get the hang of it as long as you remain motivated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ask someone more senior in the lab for advice.

It could be something as stupid as a reagent is too old, something doesn't hold temperature right, or you were given incorrect info. I've repeated things before to have it be something like someone gave me the wrong tube or the antibodies were dated. GL

Actually got an email a few minutes ago, there were impurities in the substances we were using. I redid it because my supervisor said she knew the ball park numbers she was looking for and another team was working on the same project, with the same measurements with correct graphs. She's the one who told me to redo it all those times. But yes, looking back I should have stopped the first time and maybe asked someone else. I appreciate your advice though. Thank you.

Oh and not that I don't appreciate this, but maybe I should have been a little clearer. Of course you don't know what my lab is about. That's not really what I was asking about. I just wanted to know about other people's experiments and if they've ever felt defeated in the lab.

Oh and not that I don't appreciate this, but maybe I should have been a little clearer. Of course you don't know what my lab is about. That's not really what I was asking about. I just wanted to know about other people's experiments and if they've ever felt defeated in the lab.

My first two quarters of research were the most miserable, frustrating 15 hours/week I can think of. It gets better and don't be afraid to ask questions, even if you sometimes feel both annoying and pretty derp! Helps to ask grad students/post-docs working on the same project, and if you feel like you are wearing on their patience, maybe a more experienced undergrad.

I'm just stopping by to say I love the thread title :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user

Pretty much everyone who's ever spent longer than 10 minutes working in a lab has hated it and wanted to quit at some point. It sucks quite frequently.

Actually got an email a few minutes ago, there were impurities in the substances we were using. I redid it because my supervisor said she knew the ball park numbers she was looking for and another team was working on the same project, with the same measurements with correct graphs. She's the one who told me to redo it all those times. But yes, looking back I should have stopped the first time and maybe asked someone else. I appreciate your advice though. Thank you.
Stop being so nice, you're making me feel terrible!
I joke, but good luck. It sounds like the problem was out of your hands, so no worries. Things like this happen to everyone. In fact, you might want to remember this incident. In interviews, professors often ask about times when things went wrong because they want to know how you handle situations like this.

Reactions: 1 user