Advice for Biochem and Microbio Please...First aid enough for these?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jay426k

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking my boards in a little over 2 weeks and i'm pretty much done with my organ system review and heading into Micro and biochemistry. I was wondering whether or not it is worth reading MMRS and HY biochem or instead just review First aid for those subjects. I remember a post a while back stating that those two subjects in First Aid would be enough and I was curious whether or not it would be better to master what First aid presents instead of spending time on reading those books and spend the extra time on other areas.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think this depends on ur background. I think FA biochem is sufficient for most biochem qs, but only if you learned them well before.

FA Micro seems fine too, MMRS is good if u have trouble remembering certain things. It's a fast read though, you can def finish it in 2 days or less. And another day for pharm.

Since ur done with organ systems and have 2 weeks it would make sense to spend some extra time on these - HY biochem is a bit overkill IMO, but useful to fill in holes - since FA doesn't really explain any pathways. It's a short book.

b

Biochem -- FA should have been enough for me. I regret wasting time trying to learn more from HY and Lippincott. That's not to say that there weren't some tough biochem questions on the exam (there were some biochem and molecular/cell bio questions that I couldn't answer), but the extra books took longer than they should have.

Microbio -- Don't know. I liked using BRS, but FA probably IS enough.