Advice for COMLEX III

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO_Surgeon

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just registered for COMLEX III next month. I am a general surgery intern, and have had the majority of my non-surgical rotations. I just bought crush step 3 and the NMS q book. Anyone have any advice for studying (length of time, books, important topics, etc) What about the new computer format and how many questions do you need to pass?

Members don't see this ad.

;)OK everbody though the front page of the NBOME web site hadn't officially been updated when I checked, as I have done everyday for the last week, The scores through 31 March 2008 should be in your account.
I passed, not fantastically, but I'm done.:luck:

sia simba, the 350 or 400, from what I've been told does not have to correlate with half the questions... it all depends on the stats. For step III passinf is 350 and 75 (2-digit). There is information on the NBOME site that explains the scoring if you have more q's about it. I posted earlier on this thread and wrote what I used. Someone else may be able to help you with the Kaplan question.
I had facilitations and treatment OMT q's but mostly diagnosis...total OMT q's approx. 20ish. Approx 60ish peds, 30-40 ob and the rest was medicine,surg, ACLS...etc in descending order...off to grab a Cuban coffee and get a really good buzz b/f heading back to the Peds ER...later, peace..Good luck everybody.

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of Peds and OMM in my opinion. Facilitations were more involving the cervical region. Chapman as well. Also had health maintenance questions, such as screening exam.

I feel very BLAH over all about the exam after stepping out of it. How did everyone else feel? There were also a few repeated questions... but as always... comlex.

I will update on what I used to study, how I did on practice exams, and how I did on actual exam when I get my scores.

You know those people who tell you to study Savarese or Simmons the night before and you will do fine on the OMM questions? They were wrong.

I did pretty well overall, with a 626 (88) but should have done much better than that, because on the subject breakdown, it was really just the OMM that got me. I just didn't study the stupid stuff like pump and bucket handle, muscle attachments, etc. And there were some theory type questions that I had forgotten, but would have aced had I spent more than 2 hours reviewing OMM before the test.

I did USMLEWorld, about 30% of the questions, had about a 55% average on them.

So looking at these two contradictory quotes, it appears that you are describing your own advice regarding a quick review of Simmons or Savarese as wrong. Then again, I think most people would be happy with an above-average 626 on COMLEX 3.

I did last-minute studying of the free pages you download from Simmons and got a 600. I was happy with that. Granted, you're going to need more OMM study if you want to ace the thing, but for those not planning to use much (if any) OMM in their practice, more extensive study of the subject during busy internship and residency is unwarranted in order to pass the test and get on with what they really want to do.

I took it yesterday as well and agree with you completely. The WTF factor was way down. I felt like if you read the q's carefully and had studied the basics (all the things that pop up on I and II) you'd do fine. Most of the time, you could rule out the wrong answers with the information in the stem. I actually used almost the whole allotted time for the first time ever. I went at a comfortable pace, and re-read only my marked q's.

I will say there was a lot more OMM and osteopathic principles on this exam than I expected. But the questions were not crazy and off the wall, they were very reasonable. Just zip through the high points in Savarese or Simmons reviews and you should do great on those q's.

I agree there was not an over-representation of any one field.

You know those people who tell you to study Savarese or Simmons the night before and you will do fine on the OMM questions? They were wrong.

I did pretty well overall, with a 626 (88) but should have done much better than that, because on the subject breakdown, it was really just the OMM that got me. I just didn't study the stupid stuff like pump and bucket handle, muscle attachments, etc. And there were some theory type questions that I had forgotten, but would have aced had I spent more than 2 hours reviewing OMM before the test.

I did USMLEWorld, about 30% of the questions, had about a 55% average on them.

I have a question about taking comlexIII early (the month before residency). Ive heard different answers whether its a good idea or even possible. I would like to just get it out of the way so I dont have to worry about it during my first year. Plus, I think I will have more time to study the end of 4th year than I will as an intern.

Anyone do this? Good idea?:thumbup::thumbdown:

To the above poster, I would honestly wait and take it during residency. It is NOT much of a burden, plus you will learn a lot more than if you were a 4th year medical student. By the end of the 4th year, most people could care less to study, let alone take a board exam.

Your knowledge in medicine grows exponentially in my opinion during residency as compared to being a medical student. That is just my 2 cents.

I took my comlex3 on 4-28 and saw my grade on the nbome website. I was doing about 45% on usmleworld and scored 84/540. That is good enough for me.

Goodluck to the rest of everyone!

Took it on 4/28 too and found out I passed! Just relieved to be done with it. Though I would agee w/ above poster about waiting until residency to take it. A burden but not that bad and you will be surprised about how much you learn in that one year of residency!

Took it today. My goodness that is a horrible exam. Might have been just my exam or the fact that I didn't overkill study like I did for Steps I and II but I thought it was the hardest.

-as usual, lots of vague, poorly written questions.
-many questions that expect you to diagnose after about one sentence of history.
-strange ethics questions that probably had 2 correct answers
-a few stats questions, study design questions
-no cranial
-3 sacrum questions
-a couple of viscerosomatic questions, seemed like everything was T12-L2.
-one question about staining patterns of certain helminthic oocysts (!!!!!!) - I almost choked
-not only did you have to know screening timetables for cancer but you also had to know medicare pay guidelines for such screening timetables (!!!!!!!)
-a lot of EKGs
-as usual, all the radiographs were of such poor quality they were useless in helping you with the question, one was so dark if you didn't know better you would have picked PTX even though that clearly wasn't the answer
-non straight-forward peds immunization questions.

-a couple of topics that were so far out there that if I failed this exam, I wouldn't even know where to begin to study. At least on previous exams, if I didn't know the answer, I was at least familiar with the topic and knew exactly where I would go to review or look it up. Many of my topics today were so out there I still don't know where to look to see if I got the right answer. Pure guesswork.

Hopefully scores will come in 4 instead of 6 weeks.

Took it today. My goodness that is a horrible exam. Might have been just my exam or the fact that I didn't overkill study like I did for Steps I and II but I thought it was the hardest.

-as usual, lots of vague, poorly written questions.
-many questions that expect you to diagnose after about one sentence of history.
-strange ethics questions that probably had 2 correct answers
-a few stats questions, study design questions
-no cranial
-3 sacrum questions
-a couple of viscerosomatic questions, seemed like everything was T12-L2.
-one question about staining patterns of certain helminthic oocysts (!!!!!!) - I almost choked
-not only did you have to know screening timetables for cancer but you also had to know medicare pay guidelines for such screening timetables (!!!!!!!)
-a lot of EKGs
-as usual, all the radiographs were of such poor quality they were useless in helping you with the question, one was so dark if you didn't know better you would have picked PTX even though that clearly wasn't the answer
-non straight-forward peds immunization questions.

-a couple of topics that were so far out there that if I failed this exam, I wouldn't even know where to begin to study. At least on previous exams, if I didn't know the answer, I was at least familiar with the topic and knew exactly where I would go to review or look it up. Many of my topics today were so out there I still don't know where to look to see if I got the right answer. Pure guesswork.

Hopefully scores will come in 4 instead of 6 weeks.

I also took the comlex today and felt pretty much the same. I definitely think this was the most vague of all three. Felt like you could get a question wrong just based on the language they used. I used Crush Step 3, Boards and Wards, NMS questions and the Combank to study. I definitely felt like the previous poster that USMLEWorld was overkill for COMLEX 2 and was better for the USMLE.

-lots of EKGs
-screening questions according to Medicare...
-had a question where you had to calculate the serum osmolality!! (which I obviously didn't remember)
-lots of viscerosomatic levels, ilial, sacral, chapman tender points and no cranium questions...most of the OMM questions were how would you set up the patient for treatment
-radiographs sucked as usual
-a lot of ob and peds, but some random ones too, don't remember any developmental milestones
and the rest of it was just random medicine, surgery, some psych...lots of depression

Just hoping I answered enough right to pass...

Last edited:
I just got my Step 3 score today. I passed and actually scored 35pts higher than Step 2 and 64pts higher than Step 1.
How I did it.
I waited until after my internal medicine internship year was over, walked into the Prometric testing center and sat for the exam. Didn't study one minute. Didn't even look at one OMM review problem. Didn't do a single practice test question.
It worked for me. Now I am enjoying my PM&R residency with no stress whatsoever.

Slacker for life.

I think that internship is all you need if you see a lot and work hard.

Isn't 350 a passing score? Seems doable with some last minute cramming...

I take it on Monday! :eek: Did the old Comlex step 3 q's, about 300 of them, Crush Step 3 and B/W...will look at more EKGs probably from my ACLS CD just to nail them down.

Still need to thumb through Savarese and Simmons, will do this Sunday night.

That should be enough, no? Anybody approach this exam laxidasicly and get bit in the rear?

Completed one month of medicine and 2 months of neuro in my psych internship so far....unlike the above poster who completed an entire internship w/o studying and showed up and passed - congrats by the way.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Passed comfortably. Did exactly as you did. Lots of peds, ob, and GI. Scarily similar to step II. Walk in, take one break for an early lunch, and you'll stroll out by 1-2 pm tops.

Can anybody give some correlation to combank percentage. I currently am scoring 70% with test on 9/29. Almost done with all the questions in combank. I need a high score for fellowship apps. Any info would help!:D

When is a good time to take this test? I'm going to be having my first baby about 3 weeks before starting residency, although I'm hoping that I can get a month off somehow. I'm wondering if I should just try to get this out of the way at the end of 4th year. I just don't see myself having much time to study during internship with a newborn at home. Also, I'm going into psychiatry, so I'm not sure how helpful much of my internship will be for the exam. Any thoughts?

Just to share my experience. I did very little studying for it. No USMLE world, etc. I took the COMSAE practice test cold and passed so didn't worry too much. Did about 50 USMLE questions out of a book in the library. Other than that, I flipped through Savarse in a couple of hours and memorized the autonomic rules before I walked in for the test. Seriously, nothing else. Felt that the test was fine and no real surprises. Shooting for a pass and feel very comfortable that I did. If you feel the urge to study, I would use your step 2 books and save your money. As a caveat, I passed level 1 and 2 comfortably, have rotated on ortho, medicine, ER, and anesthesia prior to taking the exam.

Marie337, level 3 is similar to level 2, only difference I can remember is somewhat more patient management. If you did fine on Level 2 and have a well rounded 4th year, I think you could take it before you have a munchkin taking up your time. Only problem may be in scheduling it. I found the dates available restrictive and if your trying to fit it in a tight time frame it may not work. I pretty sure you have to graduate before your able to schedule it. Maybe you could work with your dean's office and NBOME for an exception to at least get it scheduled in that 3 weeks between graduation and delivery? All this being said, you may just want to wait until later in your intern year to take it. I could imagine you will not be very comfortable sitting there for hours and remember the COMLEX limits those bathroom breaks. Good luck.

For others toying with the notion of taking COMLEX 3 cold:

I studied ten minutes for COMLEX 3, with a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale in hand (seriously). I just looked at the autonomic chapter of Savarese. No other directed study at all. I got 700+ on the test, quite a bit higher than I got on COMLEX 1 or 2, both of which I spent a considerable amount of studying for. I'm sure the broad training I got in my first year of emergency medicine was more helpful than some other residency programs' intern years would be.

I don't want to rehash an old thread but I didn't see an answer as I browsed through the thread.

Does anyone know where I can get some practice questions other than familypractice.com. It looks like you need a AAFP ID# to login for free questions and I don't have one. I also hear that the questions on FP.com are pretty close to what you might see.

I really don't want to overkill the board prep materials if possible, but I'm using USMLE world which I found worked great for me prepping for part II.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

I am using Combank for my Qbank and they say a 62.8% is the overall percentage needed to pass the COMLEX with a >90% probability. I was wondering what others who used the combank experienced. Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
Hey, I was wondering why you picked Combank over Kaplan or USMLE World?

I used Combank for Step II and thought it was pretty much on. From reading the feedback, it appeared that USMLEWorld was way overboard for the COMLEX. I just used Boards & Wards, Savarese, and Combank with some Swanson's. Good luck!

How's residency going for you? Where are you at?

Just released from the NBOME on 01/29/09:

Beginning February 26, 2009 a small number of test questions on the COMLEX-USA Level 3 Exam will include audio and/or video clips as exhibits. The number of items associated with audio and/or video materials will be no more than six per examination...

http://www.nbome.org/news-single.asp?blogid=41

I studied for a day and used some combank. the combank qs are spot on.
Except Combank gives a little more information so you can actually make an educated response. Stuff like age, sex, and maybe a clinical presentation.

It was a little different than COMLEX's "this pt is sick. What's the cause?:laugh:

Except Combank gives a little more information so you can actually make an educated response. Stuff like age, sex, and maybe a clinical presentation.

It was a little different than COMLEX's "this pt is sick. What's the cause?:laugh:

How are you doing JRF? Glad to see you thought highly of COMLEX 3 like I did. I don't remember receiving more than 5 sets of labs in the 400 questions. I did however receive at least 5 cranial/chapman's questions. :thumbup:

thought I would give un update on scores. So like i said i studied for a day, used Combank and averaged 80% on combank. Scores out to day and I got a 787.
:thumbup:

How are you doing JRF? Glad to see you thought highly of COMLEX 3 like I did. I don't remember receiving more than 5 sets of labs in the 400 questions. I did however receive at least 5 cranial/chapman's questions. :thumbup:

Doing well can't wait until hell year is over.

thought I would give un update on scores. So like i said i studied for a day, used Combank and averaged 80% on combank. Scores out to day and I got a 787.
:thumbup:

With ONE day of studying you landed a 787? :eek:

I take mine in 4 days. Been studying for a week now with my FA for Step 2 (have notes in it from my Step 2 days) and COMBANK. The latter has really helped me focus my studying. So worth the money so far!

Shooting for > 650.

Doing well can't wait until hell year is over.

I can't complain about my year - hasn't been too rough though not something id ever want to repeat. I miss basketball mornings at DMU that's for sure.

Not sure if you need an 800 for a 99 two digit or what! Oh well who really cares about these scores anyway?! Last general med exam ever. I couldn't be more glad.

so took the "new version" of the exam with the "audio and video" cases. I believe I had 2 heart sounds and 2 videos...both pretty straight forward...to be quite honest with you, you didn't even have to really look at them because the question stem itself kind of gave the answer away...like for example SEM that radiates to the carotids....you know what that is right ;) and then patient who pushes hard on the wall and the scapula "pops out" you know what that nerve that is right ;)

fair amount of Ob/Gyn and Peds...but more ob/gyn...of course plenty of medicine....hardly any surgery, derm, or neuro...

I used crush step 3...read it plenty of times...did all of Kaplan Q BOOK and Savarese for OMM....felt like it was a bit too much for the exam...but I really wanted to do well on this thing because I'll be applying for fellowships after residency. I'll update with my score in 4-6 weeks, good luck everyone!

Oh BTW I'm a medicine intern so probably felt more comfortable with the medicine than other residents in other fields (except family med of course who gets a little bit of everything :)

so took the "new version" of the exam with the "audio and video" cases. I believe I had 2 heart sounds and 2 videos...both pretty straight forward...to be quite honest with you, you didn't even have to really look at them because the question stem itself kind of gave the answer away...like for example SEM that radiates to the carotids....you know what that is right ;) and then patient who pushes hard on the wall and the scapula "pops out" you know what that nerve that is right ;)

fair amount of Ob/Gyn and Peds...but more ob/gyn...of course plenty of medicine....hardly any surgery, derm, or neuro...

I used crush step 3...read it plenty of times...did all of Kaplan Q BOOK and Savarese for OMM....felt like it was a bit too much for the exam...but I really wanted to do well on this thing because I'll be applying for fellowships after residency. I'll update with my score in 4-6 weeks, good luck everyone!

Oh BTW I'm a medicine intern so probably felt more comfortable with the medicine than other residents in other fields (except family med of course who gets a little bit of everything :)

I took mine on the 26th and the above description sounds very similar to my exam.

I used COMBANK and felt like it was EXCELLENT prep for COMLEX-III! Yes, there are only ~900 or so questions but they are very high yield. It really helped to focus my studying on the "must knows." There were a few verbatim questions on my exam and SEVERAL concepts repeated. I will let you guys know just how good it was once I get my score in ~ 6 weeks or so..:D

Again, COMBANK is amazing and so worth the $85. G'luck guys!

Last edited:
First of all thank you everyone for posting your level 3 experiences. I just took my exam last week and I think I did well. I have yet to break the 600 mark in my previous exams so I was hoping just to beat my previous scores. I probably prepared for 4 weeks during a light rotation but I did most of my studying over 4 weekends.

For the prep I used Step 2 secrets ( I used it for level 2 and had lots of good notes in it), Strong Medicine, Combank, Comsae, High Yield OB/GYN and Savares.
1) Personally Step 2 secrets(same as Crush 2) was very comprehensive and contained all the information I needed to do well on the level 3. The only difference was that since Level 3 has a little more focus on management so I went through Strong Medicine and just added that information into my secrets.
2) Strong medicine - Went through the whole thing in 2 days. Its very a very easy read and personally I like the way the information was presented. There were some mistakes in the book especially the ID chapter but over all I think the book was worth going over.
3) Combank - Excellent choice for Level 3. As someone mentioned earlier even though there are only 850 or so questions in the combank they are all high yield. I think 5-10 questions were very very similar to the combank on the real exam. The question format was also very similar and there is heavy emphasis on OB/GYN and peds on both the combank and comlex. I finished the combank once and got 70%. I had some extra time so went through the high yield points and answers a few days before the exam. The writer are pretty spot on as far as there advice after each question is concerned.
4) OB/GYN high yield - I am really glad I went though the book. I swear it seemed like I had 80+ OB/GYN questions on the exam. Know this book and you will breeze through most of the exam. Its a very easy read and should not take more than 2 days.
5) Savares - its a given that this book is extremely high yield and the best way to get free points. I had notes from level 2 so didnt really use the book this time. Even if you did go over the book it should not take more than 5 hours. Surprisingly a broad range of OMM knowledge was tested on the exam which I will talk about later but its worth it to go over the book/notes. I used the comlex cram sheet as well(http://pages.prodigy.net/stn1/Downloads.htm). It was good to look at the night before.
5) Comase - kinda pricey. But I guess worth it for some people. Honestly I am not sure if it helped me. I mean you go through the exam (its not timed) at your own pace and get a score in the end. You dont get the correct answers and all you get is a break down of what sections you did well on etc. I think the format was simlar to the real thing but the questions were not. I scored a 550 on the exam.
6) I bought swanson family practive review. What a waste of money. The book is for someone who has a month off and wants to prep for the exam during it. I am sure if you go through it you will do well because it is very comprehensive and comlex is all about primary care.

Overall I think the exam was fair. I felt like it was better than level 1 but about the same as level 2. If you did well on level 2 you should be fine on level 3. There was just a tad bit more emphasis on management.

In order of importance

OB/GYN (80+ q's) My God does comlex love babies and vaginas. Tons of bleeds, discharges, PROM, cervix dilations, abnormal ultra sound, GBS, uterine atony,PID, fibroids, endometriosis, molar pregnancies, gestational DM, preeclampsia, ammenorrhae, urinary incontenece, I could go on and on. Pretty much EVERYTHING was tested. I think if there is one book you need to know inside out is HY OB/GYN. I am glad I did a month of OB/GYN before the exam. And don't forget the breasts. Just a couple of questions on breast masses and management ( biopsy vs aspiration vs f/u)

Visuals - There were tons (alteast 30+) visuals on the exam from obscure skin lesions, tons of EKGS (for some reason I had alteast 4 third degree blocks ekg questions), heart sounds(the answer is in the question, really no need to hear the sound), winged scapula(again visual aid not necessary), CXR (wide mediastinum, penumothorax, sarcoidosis, CHF, pneumonia), a dead featus (hydrops fetalis), a couple of OB ultrasounds(one visual of I think the broad ligament with endometriosis), head CTs (know all the bleeds, diagnosis, treatment, radiology). The quality of pictures was improved over the previous exams but I was still unhappy with some of them.

Peds - The milestones are annoying to learn and I am glad I had none on my exam. I had a few questions on otitis media and complications (Mastoiditis). Just a couple of congential heart defect questions ( Tetraolgy of Fellot, VSD). Obvious high yield questions like pyloric stenosis (I think I had 3-4 questions on it) symptoms, diagnosis and treatment. CF is high yield. I think I had 4-5 questions on CF symptoms and diagnosis.

OMM (20+) classic sympathetic innervation/referral questions, several
name-that-nerve/organ based on presumed viscerosomatic lesion, lots of chapman's points (appendix, kidneys, adrenal glads, colon)KNOW THE POSITINING FOR CERVICAL MUSCLE ENERGY and COUNTERSTRAIN(anterior and posterior points). I had 2-3 cranial questions, 2-3 rib dysfunction question (which rib to work on -upper or lower). Maybe 2-3 sacral dysfunction questions.

Preventative med -Lots of questions on immunization(vaccines for HIV, nursing home, immigrant, egg allergy), CA screening (colon, prostate, breast, cervical). Surprsingly I had 5-7 questions on medicaid/Medicare (how qualifies for which). Maybe 5 ethical questions. I think most of the questions are common sense but this is a high yield topic so I would suggest spending a few hours on this.

EM - Quite a few questions start of with XYZ presents to the ER with XYZ. I had a few trauma questions but just remeber your ABCD's and the answers are pretty easy. I had a few ACLS questions (V tach, asystole) but relatively easy management questions.

Cardio - As I mentioed before quite a few EKGs. KNOW YOUR MURMURS. I had 5-10 murmur questions I think. Pretty straight forward as always with buzz words (holosystolic, radiation to carotids, midsystolic click etc). Very easy points so just know them well.

GI - Not a lot of diarrhea. Just a few simple SBO, rectal bleed (Colitis, Cancer, anal fissure), lower abdominal pain (PID, hernia). Mostly straight forward. I think I had a question on Giardia dx and treatment. Hep B, celaic disease, IBS and ascending cholangitis had a few questions

Psych - The psych meds are definetly high yield. TCA, SSRI, MAOI, anti psychotics side effects are a must to know and alteast 5-10 questions. Not much depression, bipolar stuff but a few bulemia and anorexia questions.

Ortho/Neuro - My favorite subject. Alteast 5 questions on lumbar stenois, ridiculopathy and sciatica. 5-10 questions on Bleeds, Parkinsons diagnosis and treatment, dementia cerebral palsy, neuropathy and dermatomes. Some questions on neuropathies, ALS, MS, Guillan Barree.

Renal - management of hematuria in various age groups but not many electrolyte imbalance or acid/base questions. I don't get the comlex. The vast majority of us are in Medicine heavy internships while they test us on OB/GYN and not CRF, HF, MI, COPD. Oh well.

Rheumatology - some questions on MS, RA, OA, lupus and dermatomytosis. Most straighforward with buzz words.

Immunology - Some level 1 questions about immunological reactions. I didnt even bother trying too hard cause I honestly dont remember that stuff.

Epidemiology - Worst section of the comlex for me. I must have had 4-5 WTF questions. Questions that usually belong in the USMLE are creaping over to the COMLEX side. I had a few questions about cohort studies, P values etc. I totally bombed those questions cause I had no idea they would test them. Oh well. I really dont know how anyone would study for those questions.

Optho - Not much. I think a question on "cotton wool spots", "curtain falling over eyes" - amaurosis fugax - get carotid ultra sound etc.

Resp - ASTHMA is very HY. I had 10 questions on various presentations of Asthma with diagnosis and treatment. Short term and long term treatment etc. Some questions on CF, COPD, sarcoidosis.

Well I wrote down everything I could remember. Sorry if I wasnt too specific. Over all the exam seemed fair but there were 20 questions that were honestly not answerable (alteast with the amount of prep I did). Best of luck!!!:thumbup:

Good stuff.

What exactly is Strong Medicine....Don't think I have seen it mentioned anywhere else?

As for those doing the COMSAE, PMR's concerns are valid however you can do what I did for Step 2 which is do the entire test w/ a friend, discuss/research the answers & for those that you cannot decide on, have one pick one answer & the other the 2nd choice, keeping all 2nd choice answers on one person's exam. We ended up having approx 20 Qs out of 200 for which we put 2 separate answers & our scores were far enough apart to give us confidence in choosing our 1st choice answers if a similar Q popped up on the actual Step 2.

Was the extra info you got from "Strong Medicine" was in FA for step 3?
The books I have right now are
1. FA step 3
2. Savarese
3. OB-GYN & Peds High yield
4. B&W (liked the OB/Peds/trauma sections)

I can add another but if people think it truly has info not found in other books or that the format is better.

I heard bad things about FA step 3 from friends and here on SDN. I personally really liked the strong medicine format because of it's format and emphasis on management. I would add combank in your list of resources.

Is it likely that I could do well on Step 3 prior to doing a residency or internship year? I didn't match this year and I'll have plenty of time to take this test before the match next year. Is this exam doable with the resources listed in this thread without additional clinical experience?

Is it likely that I could do well on Step 3 prior to doing a residency or internship year? I didn't match this year and I'll have plenty of time to take this test before the match next year. Is this exam doable with the resources listed in this thread without additional clinical experience?

Yes. I didn't find it too different from COMLEX-II. In fact I used my Step 2 FA. My intern year experience did help with the medicine questions but I wouldn't say it was necessary...

Sorry to hear the match didn't go as expected. I'm sure you'll make it happen next year. G'luck. :thumbup:

Level 3 is just like Level 2. An internship helps but its certainly not necessary to do well on the exam. I suggest you try to scramble into a osteopathic transitional program and try to prematch into a program with open PGY2 spots.

Thanks for the information, Dr.Saib and PMR. My situation is pretty unique and trying to find a program with a PGY2 spot with my geographic limitations next year would be next to impossible, so I've opted to forgo a traditional intern year.

626 (88) would have done better if it wasn't for that "business medicine" section...anyways, I felt I did strong enough to at least get looked at by the GI fellowship programs I'll be applying to and showed improvement on my step II scores. Best of luck everyone!

With ONE day of studying you landed a 787? :eek:

I take mine in 4 days. Been studying for a week now with my FA for Step 2 (have notes in it from my Step 2 days) and COMBANK. The latter has really helped me focus my studying. So worth the money so far!

Shooting for > 650.

Got my score a bit over a week ago: 716. :D

No more COMLEX exams. Ever.

It's all eyes from here on out. Can't wait!

Hello all,
For those who have taken comlex 3...which questions seemed to better prepare you for the comlex 3 - usmleworld or kaplan qbank? Thanks

new to SDN. scored 718 on comlex III - what does this mean? i'm a family med resident, but have been considering doing another residency afterwards. would this help to make me a somewhat competitive candidate? thanks.