advice for dealing with psych on the wards.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vistaril

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
No, I dont mean psych patients.....I mean the psych service. As a chief resident(well at least in 2 days) in psychiatry, I see the crap you guys have to deal with from us on a regular basis. Psych pts can clog up your service, and there is nothing more frustrating than a medicine intern being "stuck" with a psych pt who is stuck on a medicine service for various reasons....A few tips on how to deal with your hospitals psych consult service(the goal is to help both of us out):

1) Delirium consults are almost never needed. As much as psych wants to believe that medicine residents don't know delirium, you *do* know delirium for the most part. And delirium recs are *not* that complicated. Hell we make the same basic recs each time. Many psych residents(and some attendings) carry around a little delirium card and just use the same med recs again and again. Hell I know 2 residents who have pre-made delirium notes!! They've used it 20 times at least by now....they'll change the pt's age and race and maybe a clinical detail or two...same med recs always.

2) Just because we say the pt is not safe for discharge as he represents an acute danger to himself doesn't mean you can't discharge them. The classic example is the borderline who swallows 20 Seroquel and goes to medicine for "24 hrs obs". Well of course they are cleared medically, and a psych consult is done, and the psych recs are to admit. But alas, there are no inpt beds available. And unfortunately, as crappy as it is, we are perfectly happy to let the pt sit on your service for a week waiting for a bed to open. We'll even copy and paste a note every other day to "reassess" the pt as we wait for a bed at our institution to open. But if you're confident the pt does not need admission(as many dont), just discharge them and document the protective factors. Or light a fire under the ass of the medical SW to transfer the pt to another psych hospital.

3) What your team was told by a psych ER resident or attending doesn't have any weight once you accept the pt on your medicine service. I can't tell you how many times the medicine resident says "so we got this psychotic women who had a uti or whatever and is now ready for transfer to inpatient psych"......whoa.....I agree it *should* be that easy. but it's not. In many cases the ER psych resident will dump an obvious psych presentation on medicine for ridiculously trivial medical reasons, saying it needs to be "monitored" for 12-24 hrs or whatever.....psych ER tells the medical ER this, and often forces the medicine dump. To get the ER to dump it on medicine, sometimes the psych er person "promises" they will take the pt on psych after 24 hrs of monitoring or whatever......the thing is, that is a promise they are not authorized to make. Medicine reisdents and attendings fly off the handle(and justifiably so) when I tell them that we'll have to do a formal psych consult and there arent any beds anyways.....so what is one to do? Well, I would again try a transfer to another psych hospital......if the pt is uninsured though, might be stuck.

Members don't see this ad.

Who the hell consults psych for delirium?

Where are you guys training at?!

There are even some medicine residents that will consult psych for ETOH withdrawal...:scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
There are even some medicine residents that will consult psych for ETOH withdrawal...:scared:

As I understand it, there are parts of the country where psych holds onto EtOH w/d with an iron fist, you'd think most of them would be happy to just let us have it.

What's funny is when you run into one of these IM guys who trained in that kind of environment and then consults psych for EtOH w/d and everyone around him at his new shop is like, "lolwuts?!?!?"

I know right......it doesnt make any sense to me either. But I've been at three different university academic hospitals in total, and probably a full 25% of our consults are for delirium recs. I try to curbside them, or just forward them a list of reasonable regimens they can copy and post somewhere at the nursing desks or whatever......

I have never personally consulted psych for delirium or EtOH w/d as a resident or fellow. In fact, I can count on one finger the number of times I've consulted psych for anything in the past 6 years.

But when I was in med school, on my psych rotation (which was all consult, no inpatient), easily 75% of the consults I got were for those two things.

I have never personally consulted psych for delirium or EtOH w/d as a resident or fellow. In fact, I can count on one finger the number of times I've consulted psych for anything in the past 6 years.

But when I was in med school, on my psych rotation (which was all consult, no inpatient), easily 75% of the consults I got were for those two things.

I consult psych after saving lives :smuggrin:

Once the overdose is off my vent and able to talk, the call is going out to psych . . . dispo, Dipos, DISPO!!

One humorous story. Kid takes cyanide, tells all his idiot buddies on facebook, so the ED know when he rolls in, antidote given. They tube him anyway, maybe to teach him a lesson?? But anyway . . . after I untube him, the first thing out of his mouth??

"I didn't know they had an antidote!!"

Haha.

Pwned.

Better luck next time.

There was this other time that the cops brought this guy in that they and the paramedics had darted with ketamine in the field - apparently he was found finger painting . . . nude . . . in the park . . . they tube him, because, you know, the ED just can't help themselves. So once their intubation drugs wear off, he's wide awake and making interesting gestures at anyone who looks at him. He obvious doesn't need a tube, so I pull it out. He goes on this long rant about praising Jesus, though it's weird, and then asks me if I'd like to have sex with his girlfriend, followed by a request that, oh, well, since he's here, he might as well have a neurologist see him and give an opinion about the implant that been giving him headaches . . . yeah . . . psych consult . . . ran into the consultant a few hours later, she'd been in with him for like an hour, she thought he was a hoot - she'd written down some of her favorite parts and quotes

I consult psych after saving lives :smuggrin:

Once the overdose is off my vent and able to talk, the call is going out to psych . . . dispo, Dipos, DISPO!!

The one case I can recall was an APAP overdose. She was never really in that much trouble but it was her 4th admit in 2 months for wimpy APAP overdose so we felt it might be time to get psych involved. Interestingly, at the same time we were dealing with her the rooms on either side of her were occupied by patients who got the APAP overdose thing "right." One added a handle of vodka and a bottle of bleach for good measure.

I think one of the biggest piece of advice that any IM doctor should know about psych consult is that the psych consult has very little sway over dispo. So paging us 30 times about getting a patient off the service to be admitted to inpatient psych is not going to make the system move any faster. Believe me whenever I tell you there's no bed I can't make a bed magically appear and as frustrating as it is, there are just not enough inpatient psych beds. This becomes a very frustrating exercise because pushing us accomplishes nothing except annoying us. Which is why half of the time I don't even bother calling you back.

re: delirium and etoh w/d, psych is actually usually substantially better than most services other than medicine in the hospital about these things, so there is some reason for these other services to consult. For the medicine service, complicated polysubstance w/d with concomittant personality disorder is often a legit reason to consult psych. Same for confusing delirium with a potential underlying psych cause.

I think one of the biggest piece of advice that any IM doctor should know about psych consult is that the psych consult has very little sway over dispo. So paging us 30 times about getting a patient off the service to be admitted to inpatient psych is not going to make the system move any faster. Believe me whenever I tell you there's no bed I can't make a bed magically appear and as frustrating as it is, there are just not enough inpatient psych beds. This becomes a very frustrating exercise because pushing us accomplishes nothing except annoying us. Which is why half of the time I don't even bother calling you back.

That may all be true but paging you 30 times to take your patient off of our service feels so darn good. And when you don't call back, its an excuse to start paging your attending (and they seem to have often have those magic powers you mentioned above). If my intern pages 29 times and the intern one team over pages 30 times...I bet they get the bed. So you can bet we're gonna be team 30.

As for the OP who wants me to just discharge a patient that the psych note says needs admission, what kinda crack is that? Your borderline patient goes and offs herself and you'll hang me out to dry. The moment you write "no need for psych hospitalization" the patient will be OTD. Until then, you can expect your 30 pages a day.

This is the wards. This is Sparta.

That may all be true but paging you 30 times to take your patient off of our service feels so darn good. And when you don't call back, its an excuse to start paging your attending (and they seem to have often have those magic powers you mentioned above). If my intern pages 29 times and the intern one team over pages 30 times...I bet they get the bed. So you can bet we're gonna be team 30.

As for the OP who wants me to just discharge a patient that the psych note says needs admission, what kinda crack is that? Your borderline patient goes and offs herself and you'll hang me out to dry. The moment you write "no need for psych hospitalization" the patient will be OTD. Until then, you can expect your 30 pages a day.

This is the wards. This is Sparta.

QFT

:laugh: :thumbup: