Advice for DO interested in SoCal Urology Residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GDubDO

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm an MSII really interested in going the Uro route, and am curious about experiences other DO students have had applying for Southern California Uro residencies.
FYI: I'm in the top third of my class, have a MPH, and 2 years of post grad research experience.

Any info would help, thanks.
Greg

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't know there were osteopathic urology residencies. SoCal is a pretty tough place to match even for allopathic applicants, and from interviewing at the programs there, they tend to be very academic.

Actually, I was talking about applying to allopathic uro residencies in SoCal...sorry for the confusion...

Members don't see this ad :)
unfortunately, i think your chances are slim. as far as i know, ucla, uci, usc, ucsd, and loma linda have never taken a DO for their urology programs.

Kaiser LA didn't have any DOs in their program either. Actually none of the programs I interviewed at had any DOs at any level, nor were they interviewing any when I was there. I wouldn't want to discourage anyone, but I would agree that the competition is intense and chances are probably remote of even getting an interview. But I guess there's a first time for everything.