Advice for high school student going to college who plans to apply into pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axeon123

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys - was hoping I can get some advice and feedback here. I have a cousin who is in his senior year and about to apply for college. He's pretty set on pharmacy school after college as his future. We were talking about what majors he will apply to the California UC schools (we are living in California). Each school lets you choose two majors. And high school GPA is excellent; science 4.00, overall weighted 4.5+. SAT around 2150, subject tests still ongoing. He's concerned if he applies to a competitive major he won't get in and won't get into the school (eg bioengineering or physiological science at UCLA, biomedical engineering at UCI or UCSD).

So basically he wants a major easy to get into and help him get into pharmacy school. He's thinking biology or chemistry instead. Any advice you can give that I can pass along? Everyone here is probably in college or applying to pharmacy school so they'd know the system. I know it's easy to say apply to the major you want, and you can always switch later, or apply to a major you like because you might be disinterested in pharmacy in the future, but we'll assume he's set on pharmacy. Thanks everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys - was hoping I can get some advice and feedback here. I have a cousin who is in his senior year and about to apply for college. He's pretty set on pharmacy school after college as his future. We were talking about what majors he will apply to the California UC schools (we are living in California). Each school lets you choose two majors. And high school GPA is excellent; science 4.00, overall weighted 4.5+. SAT around 2150, subject tests still ongoing. He's concerned if he applies to a competitive major he won't get in and won't get into the school (eg bioengineering or physiological science at UCLA, biomedical engineering at UCI or UCSD).

So basically he wants a major easy to get into and help him get into pharmacy school. He's thinking biology or chemistry instead. Any advice you can give that I can pass along? Everyone here is probably in college or applying to pharmacy school so they'd know the system. I know it's easy to say apply to the major you want, and you can always switch later, or apply to a major you like because you might be disinterested in pharmacy in the future, but we'll assume he's set on pharmacy. Thanks everyone.

1. UCSD doesn't have Biomedical Engeering ... they have Biomedical Sciences and Bioengineering in two completely different departments with completely different curriculum/focuses.

2. UCSD has an un-accredited Bioengineering program (which is mostly comprised of pre-meds) and an accredited Bioengineering program

3. If he wants it easy, just go to USC and go through the TAP program ...

look into 0-6 programs. UOP has one. My friend got accepted into UOP's 2+3 (2 years undergrad, 3 years pharm.d) program from high school and will soon be graduating at 22.

Members don't see this ad :)

St. Johns University in New York. Honestly its a 6 year program, no re-applying for the professional phase (So no PCATs). When you are in you are in, keep up the grades and you will earn your PharmD. You will still be like 23 or 24 when you graduate, and living the good life. Next thing you know if you want to go back to school for a Masters on the side, or another Doctorate, or Med School, or whatever, you will still be young while you are doing it.

Point being... Your cousin is going to need to work a lot harder keeping a very solid GPA in college, if you don't just go right in for a pharmacy program like this from the get go.

Selecting a particular Letter & Science major has no relevance in the UC admissions process. The college/school is what's important. No difference selecting between sociology, German, or biochemistry. On the other hand, choosing any engineering or design media is going to make a difference because they have their own thing going on and is often more competitive.

I'm going for a Chemistry major but if I get accepted with my pre-reqs then it's all good from there.

Standard requirements in UK were Higher level (A level) in Chemistry, Biology and Physics. The latter was dropped owing to profound shortage of physics teachers.
Now Chemistry and Biology plus another eg maths.
johnep

St. Johns University in New York. Honestly its a 6 year program, no re-applying for the professional phase (So no PCATs). When you are in you are in, keep up the grades and you will earn your PharmD. You will still be like 23 or 24 when you graduate, and living the good life. Next thing you know if you want to go back to school for a Masters on the side, or another Doctorate, or Med School, or whatever, you will still be young while you are doing it.

Point being... Your cousin is going to need to work a lot harder keeping a very solid GPA in college, if you don't just go right in for a pharmacy program like this from the get go.

AGREED! The scholarship they will offer him will last for 4 years out of 6 years!!! He will only be paying for 2 years of pharmacy school. I know this because a floater pharmacist that I work with did this. Not to mention, he will probably get a full tuition scholarship there. If I was positive about going into pharmacy coming out of high school, I would've done this, as St. John's offered me approximately a half scholarship. :mad: