Advice for May 19th MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedSS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I need some advice. This isn't a troll thread in any way I assure you. So here goes...

As you can tell from the thread title, I've registered for the May 19th MCAT. I've been doing content review since around...February with TPR and their in class review course. I took the first 2 TPR practice tests and got a 14 (its so low that I dont think the score distribution matters) and then I took AAMC #3 and got an 18.

I'm roughly a month away from the test and what really bothers me is that I'm doing well on the passages in the Hyperlearning textbook, probably getting like 1-2 wrong every so often, and the verbal I get around 1 wrong every passage, 2 on the harder ones.

I don't understand how I'm able to do "well" on these practice passages and still not break a 20 on the AAMC #3...from what I hear, its an easier/outdated one.

What can I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I need some advice. This isn't a troll thread in any way I assure you. So here goes...

As you can tell from the thread title, I've registered for the May 19th MCAT. I've been doing content review since around...February with TPR and their in class review course. I took the first 2 TPR practice tests and got a 14 (its so low that I dont think the score distribution matters) and then I took AAMC #3 and got an 18.

I'm roughly a month away from the test and what really bothers me is that I'm doing well on the passages in the Hyperlearning textbook, probably getting like 1-2 wrong every so often, and the verbal I get around 1 wrong every passage, 2 on the harder ones.

I don't understand how I'm able to do "well" on these practice passages and still not break a 20 on the AAMC #3...from what I hear, its an easier/outdated one.

What can I do?
You score shows that you are lacking alot of content knowledge. If i was you I would start from zero, open your TPRH book and learn everything from the beginning. You will see a big increase in score after about a month. a 20 is achievable without even the verbal score . getting a 10 on PS and BS is not hard. So go back and study the material, if you are not ready for the exam by May 19 you can always postpone, Don't expect to go and get a 30 on your mcat if your score in practice is like that.
After you get the solid knowledge you come back and practice with FL , donnot waste these FL now especially the AAMC since their isn't alot of good FL resources available.

You score shows that you are lacking alot of content knowledge. If i was you I would start from zero, open your TPRH book and learn everything from the beginning. You will see a big increase in score after about a month. a 20 is achievable without even the verbal score . getting a 10 on PS and BS is not hard. So go back and study the material, if you are not ready for the exam by May 19 you can always postpone, Don't expect to go and get a 30 on your mcat if your score in practice is like that.
After you get the solid knowledge you come back and practice with FL , donnot waste these FL now especially the AAMC since their isn't alot of good FL resources available.

I can see what you mean, but I was really under the impression that doing well in these practice passages would be indicitive of me knowing the content, no?

How did you do it? Like...Did you make notes? How many times did you read the chapter? How much things did you actually memorize vs "learn"?

What can I do?

You may need to postpone. I am in the same boat as you (2 posts on MCAT Discussion). I reviewed with TPRH but I didn't take a class. I keep getting 22s on AAMC 4 and 8. My test date was for May 12th but I am deciding b/t June or July test date. Someone suggested to me to take AAMC 7, 8, or 9 after doing post-analysis for AAMC 4 to see where I was. You can choose to do that to confirm you weren't havind a bad test day or just postpone and do more practice passages. What was you breakdown? I got (9/5/8) on AAMC 8 and (8/5/9) on AAMC 4. I know my problem is more test taking and understanding the passages.

I know the feellig and I'm sure we will both get through it. I'm gonna try to purchase TBR FLs and get TBR Gen Chem and Physics.

I can see what you mean, but I was really under the impression that doing well in these practice passages would be indicitive of me knowing the content, no?

How did you do it? Like...Did you make notes? How many times did you read the chapter? How much things did you actually memorize vs "learn"?
If you are looking for a good score you need to learn first then memorize some stuff that will get you to the answer faster, however learning is better.
If you are studying with TPRH with each chapter read and write notes, even if you find yourself writing the same thing in the book , this will make you learn the material better. However don't just copy from the book make sure you understand everything you are writing while doing the notes. If you don't understand something and it is not mentioned in the book, google it , the internet has alot of resources to help you, and you can always come here To SDN and ask questions. It doesn't matter how many times you read the chapter , it matters if you understood everything conceptually and can apply it to questions and real life situations. Most of the mcat passages will give you real life machines or situations where the science is applied.
It needs alot of dedication and work, Start from zero and do not miss anything in the book even if it is in great detail unless you understand it. All these details will help you in the hard questions that will differentiate your grade from other grades.
I know that what iam saying takes alot of time and effort however that is the key for the exam