Advice for moving through content review faster

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ch91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for some advice as far as content review speed goes. I feel like I'm not moving through it at the speed that I should be. I'm taking the test January 28th, 2017. In a week I have only gotten through 2 biology chapters and 1 psych/soc chapter in the Kaplan bookset. I read through the chapter and take notes on things I feel I need to retain more, and then make Anki cards for pretty much all of the key terms/concepts. Then the next day I take the end of chapter quizzes after reviewing my notes/Anki. I'm a visual learner and through undergrad I would always rewrite things while studying because it's almost as if I can see my written notes in my head while testing. I'm trying to retain as much of the content as possible because I worry about breezing over something that will be tested...but I realize doing my old method of studying won't work with the amount of information on the MCAT, especially given my timeline. I also study in 3-4 hour segments because I have trouble focusing during 6+ hour straight study days.

Does anyone have any advice/tips on how to move through the chapters faster while still maximizing the content?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't take notes, just put stuff into your anki deck directly and review the cards later. Also, avoid minutiae / details and focus on getting the most important concepts down. You can fine-tune when you do more practice problems and practice exams. Until you do practice exams and passages, you won't know if you're covering too much detail or missing big concepts so just try to get through content review in a timely manner without worrying too much about missing stuff- you'll fill in any gaps later on.

Don't take notes, just put stuff into your anki deck directly and review the cards later. Also, avoid minutiae / details and focus on getting the most important concepts down. You can fine-tune when you do more practice problems and practice exams. Until you do practice exams and passages, you won't know if you're covering too much detail or missing big concepts so just try to get through content review in a timely manner without worrying too much about missing stuff- you'll fill in any gaps later on.

How can you know what to put in your anki deck though? Do you just put the things that show up on the MCAT content outline?

How can you know what to put in your anki deck though? Do you just put the things that show up on the MCAT content outline?

Yeah and try to condense stuff as much as possible. Or maybe put a problem or a bigger concept that covers multiple items from the outline.

Good idea, I'll start condensing stuff more using mostly Anki. I still find myself writing little side notes on the pages which is probably more useful than just straight up notetaking. I guess I just get overwhelmed while looking at the books and realizing it's all stuff I need to know