Advice for my friend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Loyoladentalman15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy,

Again, I would like to thank y'all for helping me with my concerns last time and I feel confident that I may get some interviews!
I do have a friend who would like some advice.
He doesn't have his laptop at the moment and I thought it would be quicker to ask his question on my account.

So. I'm not sure if he is considered a nontraditional student or not. He is 25 years old and has been doing a post bac for quite some time. His GPA was really low. He said the last time he applied, TMDSAS verified his GPA at 2.69 with a science gpa a bit lower (doesnt remember). He has raked over 60 credits of post bac classes taking biology classes (esp ones like immuno, cell, biochem, etc) some sociology class, and about 9 hrs of research credits. He has not calculated his new GPA yet but he was able to maintain a 3.7GPA as a post bac student (NO C's!) and scored a 21AA and 20PAT on his DAT retake (original 15AA, 14 PAT).

Regarding shadowing hrs, he has over 180 as well as 30 hrs with a dental clinic.
He has over 250 volunteering hrs.

I didn't want to give him advice since our situations were a little different ( i didnt have research and his research was credit based). Do y'all think he has a shot this time?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Killer upward trend. I think hes got a great shot assuming he writes a meaningful personal statement and applies the second the AADSAS opens up.

I think your friend has a good chance of getting multiple interviews if he applies early. Schools like to see upward trends that resemble a student's perseverance and maturity

I would advise him to apply to broadly and early.

Members don't see this ad :)
Killer upward trend. I think hes got a great shot assuming he writes a meaningful personal statement and applies the second the AADSAS opens up.

Lol that is what I told him! He didn't believe lol
But yes. He made drastic improvements in all parts of his application. In fact, we both swore to each other to do the best we can to get into dental school. I would love to see that come to fruition. :)

He thanked you.

I think your friend has a good chance of getting multiple interviews if he applies early. Schools like to see upward trends that resemble a student's perseverance and maturity

I would advise him to apply to broadly and early.

Yes, he def will. He really hopes the adcoms see this. He hasn't had a job since he graduated (2 and a half years ago) and has been taking loans out to fund his education. He said thank you.

Your friend has a great chance imo. Superb determination upward trend!

Reactions: 1 users
Your friend should get interviews, as long as your friend applies early with great LoRs. I'd advice your friend to apply to wide range of schools across the country and to prepare for interviews(do practice interviews, learn about what kind of questions they ask..etc).

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks again for the replies y'all.
He was wondering if retaking the DAT to get a 23 was good if he does not get in again? I'm not sure if it's the wisest thing to do...

are the scores old....? like 2012 some schools wont take scores that are 3 years old(from the date of matriculation)

are the scores old....? like 2012 some schools wont take scores that are 3 years old(from the date of matriculation)

He retook the DAT like a few months ago so his scores are relatively new. Do you think it is wise to retake it if he doesnt get in the 2nd time?

if he KNOWS that he can do significantly better ... but other wise I wouldnt risk it, because these scores are good enough.

if he KNOWS that he can do significantly better ... but other wise I wouldnt risk it, because these scores are good enough.

I agree. Don't retake it. It's a pretty good score and his upward trend is pretty BA.