Advice for Pediatrics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

p0o9i8u7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am very interested in going into Pediatrics and an eventual subspecialty. I was wondering if anyone has advice on how to approach 3rd year electives in Pediatrics. Everywhere I have looked so far only takes 4th year students. How did you guys get around that or what did you do instead?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am very interested in going into Pediatrics and an eventual subspecialty. I was wondering if anyone has advice on how to approach 3rd year electives in Pediatrics. Everywhere I have looked so far only takes 4th year students. How did you guys get around that or what did you do instead?

Thanks!

Are you in medical school yet? Your status says Pre-med.

You would need to do your basic ped clinic rotation first then organize your 4th year electives after that: peds cards, peds ER, peds IP, peds GI, peds Ortho, etc.

Are you in medical school yet? Your status says Pre-med.

You would need to do your basic ped clinic rotation first then organize your 4th year electives after that: peds cards, peds ER, peds IP, peds GI, peds Ortho, etc.

Yep I'm in med school. Just forgot to change that. Will do that now.
I have my basic peds rotation early on and then I have an elective scheduled right after that. My school is pretty strict on scheduling so I can't really move it around.

So should I just use my electives for adult subspecialties? Or should I push to try and find some sort of 3rd year peds?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep I'm in med school. Just forgot to change that. Will do that now.
I have my basic peds rotation early on and then I have an elective scheduled right after that. My school is pretty strict on scheduling so I can't really move it around.

So should I just use my electives for adult subspecialties? Or should I push to try and find some sort of 3rd year peds?

Thanks!

Looks like you are at LECOM. They are not that strict with rotations if you do it right. But your are correct in that you can't change the order of rotations. Use your third year electives to do other rotations that you may not get otherwise. There are plenty of options at St. Vincent and Hamot. Ask some of the profs in OMM class if they know of anyone who would take you as a third year. All of the Espers are pretty well connected in town. Dr. Ortoski and Balmer are too.

I had a great underserved peds rotation downtown with Dr. Stella Dugan. Might want to see if she is still around.

Last edited:
On a different note, you might want to wait until you do your first peds rotation. You might get stuck with peds electives you no longer want to pursue if you ever change your mind.

Plenty of time to do peds specialties at the beginning of fourth year but you should find out if you actually want to do peds first

On a different note, you might want to wait until you do your first peds rotation. You might get stuck with peds electives you no longer want to pursue if you ever change your mind.
True, other peoples dirty germy bratty kids with parents who want all OTC meds as an Rx for free. No thanks.

Last edited:
True, other people dirty germy bratty kids with parent who want all OTC meds as an Rx for free. No thanks.

Peds was the only clerkship where I would actually try to get away and hide as often as I could. World's longest bathroom breaks. I'm sure the attendings/residents all thought I had ulcerative colitis or something.

Reactions: 1 user
Peds was the only clerkship where I would actually try to get away and hide as often as I could. World's longest bathroom breaks. I'm sure the attendings/residents all thought I had ulcerative colitis or something.

^ Me on surgery.

Peds was the only rotation where I didn't mind if I had to stay after sign-out or long call. Pulled a few 16 hour days and felt like no big deal. But "getting to" scrub in on a 9 hour surgery? Dying inside. I liked closing at the end though.