Advice for pre-PT student struggling with grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Matt D

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

So I'm currently in a DPT program, and my friend is currently an undergrad pursuing physical therapy. I've kind of been mentoring them for a couple years. Recently they told me that they don't think there grades will be good enough for PT school since they've gotten a couple C's in pre-req courses (Physics and Physio). They still have about a year and a half to two years before they graduate from undergrad.

Has anyone been in this situation or know of any situations like this? I know my friend is really passionate about physical therapy and I hate to see them get discouraged about getting in. Any advice that I can give to them?

Members don't see this ad.

Have them retake them over the summer. It's not a deal breaker, just get an A on the retake.

Reactions: 1 user
A C in physics isn't all that unusual, but a C in Anatomy and/or Physiology is a concern. If you want to be PT, you gotta get a homerun for that class, no excuses. Make A's on the easier courses, and get a few points above 300 for GRE. Same formula for everyone else, check out the averages for the programs you are interested in, and aim to get higher. Everyone is passionate, but you gotta prove it damnit!

Advice? If the competiveness and high number of applicants isn't enough motivation, I'm not sure what is. Look at the averages, and look where you are. Crunch numbers and figure out what you gotta do to beat the average (or match it). That's the game.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They have plenty of time to retake during the summers.

However, they need to ask themselves this question: Why am not doing as well as I want to?

Identify the problem and make a change. Can they improve their study skills? Is time management an issue? Are they taking it as seriously as they should?

They also need to remember that GPA is just one part of the admissions formula. Remind them that they could possibly make up for a lower GPA by rocking the GRE, having an awesome variety of observation hours, getting crazy good letters of recommendation, and writing a sick essay.

It would also be helpful for them to identify which schools they may want to attend. By tailoring their application to meet these schools' requirements, they have a much better chance. Like Archline said, you've got to learn how to play the game.

There are like 1.5e6 threads on what to do about bad grades/GPAs available for your reading enjoyment throughout the annals of the pre-PT forum.

They may have to do some retakes if they have more than one C. The replies from the posters above me are accurate.

Thanks everyone for your answers, they're really helpful! :D