Advice for progression

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NavySheets89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all.

Current info:

I'm currently at a 3.41, had a 4.0 the last 2 semesters. 4.0 in all psych coursework (including stats and research methods). Before joining the Navy, I tried out college and literally dropped out. Those F's from 10 years ago still haunt me today. I still have 3 full semesters and another summer term of courses.

I've found a passion in psychology and enjoy the coursework. My first passion when starting at my current university was public health. I've been fortunate enough to get 2 research posters and a publication through my public health major. All three were related to health behaviors. I've also been awarded a research grant for this summer. I've been set up to attend the MPH program at my school, but I'm looking at the MSW program also. I've been told I could attend both if I wanted to, but I'm not sure if that would be a good idea with my future goals.

My ultimate goal is to pursue counseling psychology, preferably a Ph.D. program. I'd like to work with other veterans and address the issues that are specific to our population. I would also like to work in poor communities, which unfortunately tend to also include veterans.

I'm reaching out to a psych lab that works in family research to get some experience with psychology methods. I also volunteer with Big Brother Big Sisters.

I'm expecting to graduate in Fall 2017 with a BS in public health and a BA in psychology.

My questions:

Should I even be looking at an MPH if a Ph.D. in counseling psychology is my goal? I love public health and if I could bridge the two that would be my main interest.

I don't expect to be competitive enough for a Ph.D. program after undergrad due to my GPA. If I sought an MPH/MSW would I be wasting time? Should I go for an M.A. in psych? Would there be any point to doing an MPH / MA instead?

I'm really divided on how to proceed based on my interests.

Thank you, I can answer more questions if need be to give people a better idea.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Navy - Short answer, I don't think you need to do an MPH or MSW. If your GPA has been good for the last year, then I would just explain it in your statement. I graduated with a 3.4 (I think... somewhere around there) and that's what I did. It sounds like you've got some good research experience already, and that will be looked at more heavily than your GPA. I would also buckle down and study hard for the GRE, it can help to offset a lower GPA. If I had an applicant with good research experience, a publication, good letters of rec, some life experience, a high GRE, good fit with my lab, and a low GPA, I'd still consider them. Good luck!

Thank you! That is very reassuring.

I guess I'm trying to establish plan B, plan C, etc.

If I didn't get accepted to a Ph.D. program, should I then revisit the MPH/MSW?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you really want to go into counseling psych, then I would be looking at M.A. Counseling programs. In fact, if you know that you only want to do clinical work, then I would discourage you from going the PhD (or PsyD) route. You can be an exceptional therapist without spending 5+ years in graduate school.

Thank you for your service! If you are interested in bridging an MPH and PhD, there are a few programs that allow you to work on both concurrently. Although not a counseling program, I know the University of Alabama has an option to do a PhD in Clinical Psychology and do an MPH program through UAB starting your third year. If you go this route, you definitely need to do the program in 5 (maybe 6?) years instead of 4 years. I know a few people who did this and found it to be very doable, especially if you hold off on starting the MPH program until your third year after you are done with the majority of your coursework. Good luck!

I disagree with the advice about looking into MA counseling programs for several reasons. First, it doesn't help much if you are looking at becoming a psychologist down the road and second psychology has a solid connection with the VA and this can provide good training and career opportunities (and decent salary and benefits) that might not be as available to an MA counselor and for someone who wants to work with vets in some capacity the VA is likely to be part of that. I also believe that an APA doctoral psychology program whether clinical or counseling is better preparation to provide clinical services, including community-based interventions, than the midlevel degrees anyway. Even if you don't go the MPH route, psychologists can very much be involved in program development and program outcome research and I actually believe our skill-set gives us an edge in this area that we don't use often enough. Although I have seen the VA psychologists do this more than in many community mental health settings where the midlevels tend to rule the roost.

Last edited:
If your current GPA is a 3.4 and you still have 3 semesters to go, I wouldn't count yourself out based on GPA alone. Assuming that the rest of your application is strong, you also have military experience that will work in your favor. My final GPA was lower than yours, and I got into several funded PhD programs. I knew going in that I was going to have a tougher time getting admitted than most, so it was helpful for me to realistic about my options. Some programs may use a firm 3.5 cutoff as part of their admissions process, but many do not.

I'm currently at a 3.41, had a 4.0 the last 2 semesters. 4.0 in all psych coursework (including stats and research methods). Before joining the Navy, I tried out college and literally dropped out. Those F's from 10 years ago still haunt me today. I still have 3 full semesters and another summer term of courses.

I agree with psychRA. Apply directly to Ph.D. programs. No one wants to see an F, but most people won't give it a second thought if your application is strong in all other respects. Get into a psych research lab as soon as you can and keep up the good work. It sounds like you could be quite competitive given your achievements so far.

My GPA when I was graduated was 3.5 so I wasn't too far ahead of you. Most of that was a result of an absolutely disastrous freshman year when I had a sub 2.0. I separately calculated my GPA for all of my psychology courses, which was 3.9, and included that on my applications as well. I can't say if that specifically helped, but I got in to a doctoral program I was happy with!

Thank you all for the good information!

Some follow up questions:

1) If I don't get into a Ph.D. program, would it be okay to then pursue the MSW/MPH? I would still want to work with disadvantaged populations and accomplish research. I would figure if I want to still do psychotherapy and work at a population level this would be a good route. If I got an MSW/MPH would that effectively close a future for a counseling Ph.D.?

2) I'm looking at a lab to start working in for my 1.5 years of undergrad left. I have a huge interest in the social development lab and the family research/services lab at my university. I'm not sure if they are accepting undergrads or not, but I figure it won't hurt to apply. If I am interested in counseling should I try hard for the family lab? I'm assuming it matters slightly since not every university is going to have the exact lab one wants and then it is possible they are full on undergraduates. The social development lab has a more experimental approach, but is looking into racial stereotypes and gender issues which was a focal point of my public health interest. TL;DR does it matter really what lab I get experience in as long as I get some psych lab experience.

Any other info you want to throw out it is appreciated.

I would think the lab with the more experimental approach that also matches some of your interests would be great, but either one is going to be fine I would imagine as long as they are doing research. Ultimately, you go with whichever one you can get into. It's the same way for the choice between the PhD or the MPh route, whichever doors open, that tells you what you can do.