About the ads

1. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

Advice for Stanford Medical School Admission?

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by Arian0Anderson, May 2, 2012.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. Arian0Anderson

Arian0Anderson

Pre-Medical

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I have a fairly competitive application with a 35Q, 3.6cGPA, 3.75sGPA, extracurricular activities, volunteering, job shadowing, done immunology research, leadership, and a job with the Americorps. I have strong LOR and am half Mexican-American. Is there anything I am missing that a school like Stanford is looking for? Any advice about how to frame my application? Any advice at all?

Stanford has been my primary pick for a few years now and I want to be as close to perfect as I can be. All ideas are encouraged and welcome.
  2. NickNaylor

NickNaylor Daisy the Dog

Medical Student
    SDN Published Author SDN 5+ Year Member
    No, and this should be in the WAMC forum.
  3. TheMightySmiter

TheMightySmiter

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    With your stats, ECs, and URM status, it looks like you have a shot at Stanford or similar schools. But with top schools you really can't know what precisely they're looking for. I can't give any advice to better your chances at Stanford specifically. Just apply to a wide variety of schools, including top-tier, mid-tier, and state schools. What state are you from? This will make a difference in whether you should apply to some lower-tier private schools as well.
  4. Nymphicus

Nymphicus kane o ke kai Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor

Medical Student
    SDN Published Author SDN 2+ Year Member
    Stanford likes research.
  5. NinersFan0

NinersFan0

If I had to be critical I would point to your 3.6 and say you should work to improve that. You better have a lot of research experience with at least a few posters/talks/conferences under your belt. Stanford has a small class size, and this year it looks like the yield will be high. Which means you better have a compelling reason to be selected over 98% of other Stanford applicants.
  6. Knocked Up

Knocked Up Sexy and I know it

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Looks good to me, I say give it a shot.
  7. Narmerguy

Narmerguy SDN Senior Moderator

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Moving to WAMC.