Advice for studying path during the school year AND crushing step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ej37

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, after reading through the Step Experiences thread, I know I learned a lot and definitely guided my studying based on advice I found there. Although, the best piece of advice I found anywhere RE step was studying was to do good in second year courses: mainly PATH!

That being said, here is how I studies for path during the year. I'm hoping that we can get a reasonable list of experiences here to help M2s.

I'll start:

First, I would skim Big Robbins.
Second, I would listen to Goljan Audio while reading the book
Third, I would go through Medium Robbins in a fair amount of detail.
4th, I would go back to Big Robbins. After having skimmed through it a first time, and having just read medium robbins, the text would now be readable. For me, this was the only way I could get through Big Robbins. It is just a beast.
Finally, I would do question from Robbins review, qbank, lippincotts, wherever.

For me, this worked out well during the year. I did well in path, and met my goal for USML of getting 240+.

The bottom line was for me I tried to do various lighter readings to prepare for my epic read of Big Robbins. Otherwise, I just couldn't get through it. Yes, this took a lot of time, but I think for me it was worth it. I am really glad I used Big Robbins, as I think overall it left me better prepared for Step 1 and my path class in general. What did you guys do?

Members don't see this ad.

Big Robbins is probably a bit much for most people to read.

Most people would be surprised by how manageable Robbins can be if you are persistent.

Members don't see this ad :)
Done in order during the pre-clinical years:

1) Read big robbins
2) Reviewed highlighted text, pics, tables in big robbins
3) Read goljan
4) Listened to goljan audio while making a second pass on goljan
5) Robbins question book

This method prepared me well for school exams + step 1. It will also help you shine during "pimping" sessions in 3rd year.

The op mentioned the step 1 experience thread. Here's my post from weeks ago.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=9953852&postcount=1505

Didn't figure this out till later in the year but it worked - 99th percentile on shelf and 250+

1. Read Rapid Review
2. Listen to Goljan with Rapid Review or Audio transcript on hand to follow along
3. Read relevant FA section
4. Go over class lectures
5. Do old exam questions
6. Do Robbins Review questions

I incorporated relevant UW questions as well

I think the use of Big Robbins is school dependent. I personally felt it was unnecessary but a lot that is due to the fact my Path professor included a lot of details in her lectures. I rarely touched Big Robbins but it did come in handy when I didn't understand something

Robbins Review was money for in class exams - a decent amount of detail and solid explanations. Much more efficient for those who learn from questions rather than reading

Although people say you shouldn't read review books before learning the material I felt that if I read RR beforehand I was able to understand the lectures quicker

So, far my strategy has worked well I think, although I still haven't gotten my exam grade back. Keep in mind, it was immunology and then finished up with the path stuff, but I truly thought every path question was almost too easy relative to the others. I suspect that was a direct result of how I prepared for it.

-Print off class notes and skim through just to get the idea of the skeleton of the lecture.
-Repeat in Big Robbins (I agree it probably isn't needed for most people, but I just enjoy books much more and find it a fairly easy read relative to say, Faust in German like I had to do in undergrad)
-Check out FA to see their major points
-Go fairly detailed into rapid review and annotate in my notes with little factoids that weren't there or cleared things up.
-In depth reading of the topic from big Robbins.
-Questions from every source I could get my hands on, i.e. webpath, Uworld, robbins question book.
-refresh on details that weren't clear or summarize for classmates

It looks like a lot, but realistically the first 3 points are less than the amount of time it takes to sit in the lecture and I usually come out with a stronger grasp of the material.

In depth reading does take a little longer, but I also skip over some of the more extraneous details

During my 1st and 2nd year, I never touched Robbins. I have no idea what the book even looks like.

I was in the Top 5 in my class in our Pathology course. And I got 250+ on Step 1.

My key, and what I recommend to others, is Goljan, both the Path book and the Audio. The only other thing I did was study class notes like crazy as well. And FA.

I'm sure Robbins is great, I just decided to trust in Golj. And it worked for me. Just do whatever works best for you. But I personally do not recommend too many resources. I would rather read Goljan's book 2x (which I did), than read Robbins 1x and Goljan 1x.

I didn't figure it out until about halfway through second year, but it worked great for me. On the one of the first days of the block I would go through the relevant chapter of Robbins and RR Path at the same time, using RR Path as an outline and annotating pearls from Robbins into it. Gave me a great base for the rest of the block (subsequent lectures would be largely review) and allowed me to put RR Path into context. Also, it allowed me to get a lot more out of Goljan the next time I read it.

Also used Webpath, Robbins Review and Goljan audio throughout the year. Worked out very well for me both during the school year and on Step 1.

I think BRS path is a totally underutilzed resource. IMO, the general path chapters are better than Goljan. I would even go so far as to say that the first 5 or so chapters in Robbins is HY for the boards. Also, for heme/onc, it seems Goljans book is waaay too beefy, I think BRS is a better choice for those blocks. For the systems, however, Goljan >> BRS. Just my 2 cents.

what I did for path and my results:

We began each week in path with a new topic (e.g., Cellular path, cardio, GI, etc.) so...

1. Over the weekend I listened to Goljan audio for what was coming up that week. I often had little idea what he was talking about, especially with little Micro at the time but it helped to hear the words, etc. I only listened to the lecture once and never revisited them. I am not a huge fan of the audio and definitely not his RR Book but it was kind of like "pre-reading" for the whole week in a way, minus the reading.

2. Studied CLASS NOTES over and over

2. Class notes

2. Class notes

3. For Path Shelf exam did UWorld Path questions (maybe 3/4 of them, timed)

4. Read 1/2-3/4 of BRS Pathology *great book IMO. Re-read the entire book for Step-1.

Results:

750 or 755/800 on Path shelf--can't remember, 1st in my class in pathology, and 250/99 on Step 1 with my most narrow score range (i.e., best subject) being pathology.

No Robbins, No "baby" Robbins...

Just what worked for me and hope it's helpful in some way

Well it took me a while to figure out how to study path. We don't get great lecture notes on pathology- in fact our path notes are missing half the important **** we need to know. So what worked for me was this:-

I tried summarizing every major topic like this in a note book which I revised over and over and over and over and over again:- Definition, aetiology, pathogenesis, morphology (gross and microscopic) and besides our point clinical stuff related to it (involving signs symptoms how to treat it etc etc)

So esp for pathology this is what I did
1) Skim through class notes (which are ****)
2) Read up on mama robbins (basic pathology) - which isn't a review book but isn't as scary or sleep inducing as papa robins (the biggest one)
3) Read baby robbins (which is really quick to get through and summarizes main points)

Then basically write out the -> Definition, aetiology, pathogenesis, morphology (gross and microscopic) in my note book.

I studied disease wise...for example..I'd take lung cancer....

and write down what it is (the types, where they are situated, bla bla), aetiology (smoking, asbestos exposure), pathogenesis, morphology (according to different subtypes such as large cell, small cell)....

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Just starting path at my school this week. Any updates on strategies/how they've worked out?

I'm planning on hitting class notes, FA, and Goljan for path for sure but am still unsure of whether to get a Robbins at all, and if so, which one...

Just starting path at my school this week. Any updates on strategies/how they've worked out?

I'm planning on hitting class notes, FA, and Goljan for path for sure but am still unsure of whether to get a Robbins at all, and if so, which one...

I wouldn't recommend Robbins to you if you don't learn well from textbooks.

I prefer medium robbins because it contains just about the right amount of information to get a solid, comprehensive grasp on topics. I looked through Big Robbins and it just has too much technical pathology for somebody like me.

I would definitely recommend you get Robbins review book...even if you don't end up buying any robbins textbook. The way the review book ties all the little details and presents it in a big picture is simply amazing.

I wouldn't recommend Robbins to you if you don't learn well from textbooks.

I prefer medium robbins because it contains just about the right amount of information to get a solid, comprehensive grasp on topics. I looked through Big Robbins and it just has too much technical pathology for somebody like me.

I would definitely recommend you get Robbins review book...even if you don't end up buying any robbins textbook. The way the review book ties all the little details and presents it in a big picture is simply amazing.

Thanks for the opinion. I do have the review book as I've heard good things about it. :thumbup:

I'm thinking of changing my path studying strategy for our next block (heme/onc) since I notice it takes me way too long to get the concepts down. I thought I'd do this:

1) Read path lecture notes
2) Read Goljan Rapid Review & annotate from path lecture notes
3) Reread annotated Goljan Rapid Review and do practice questions

Our pathology classes for each system so far have been very thorough, so I don't see a need for Big Robbins. Thoughts?

What have you been doing right now? I am also thinking about switching up my methods. I don't understand how some of the people have amazing amounts of time to cover the plans above! and no, I don't go to class, but still don't have time, maybe I am just slow :laugh:

What have you been doing right now? I am also thinking about switching up my methods. I don't understand how some of the people have amazing amounts of time to cover the plans above! and no, I don't go to class, but still don't have time, maybe I am just slow :laugh:

I've just been going through lecture notes over and over with some supplemental image identification from random pathology websites.

I think there are a lot of different ways to successfully approach path. From what I saw second year, there were some major similarities between myself and others that did well both in path (upper 700s into low 900s on the path shelf) and Step 1.

For general path and a few sections of systemic, I memorized class notes that were basically Big Robbins put together into amazing notes. For systemic I basically memorized big Robbins for each test, and was also studying for Step 1 throughout the semester, including using FA and RR Pathology. I tried to study each RR Path chapter for systemic after the test, which was a joke after memorizing Big Robbins for the most part. I also went over the general path chapters in RR Path throughout the second semester multiple times to keep it fresh. I used BRS path intermittently in there as well mostly for board studying, but it was good to keep things fresh. I definitely learned a whole lot more detail than needed for the shelf, Step 1, or even our exams, but it paid off in the end (800 on shelf, 267 on Step 1).

Most people I know that did well in path/Step 1 used big Robbins in some manner, although some only sparingly. They almost all used RR during the class. They all invested a lot of time, too.

Hey guys!!!! First of all, CONGRATULATIONS to all of u for doing such a great job in your USMLE!!! I wanted to ask for advice about my particular situation, since many of you seem to be very organized and have such great results. I finished my first year of med school, and did not start second year because I am pregnant and am due before I can take my finals in December, so I decided to take this year off. I am an average student, but I feel that I have forgotten a lot of the info that I learned during my first year. I just started reviewing pathology from the big Robbins, and is taking me a freaking long time because I am also taking notes. I feel that I am re-writing the book b/c I am afraid to leave out details that might be important later.

My question is: What can I be doing now to prepare myself for the 2nd year, and most importantly, to smoke the USMLE? Should I buy the review books are read them/take notes? Should I read/take notes directly from my textbooks?
Sooooo..... What should I do in these months that I have off to better prepare myself for 2nd year and the boards?

I really appreciate all of your inputs!!!! Feel free to PM me if u need to!!!!:)

Path was definitely my strong suit on Step I.

My advice would be to start early and master your med school coursework, that will be a huge advantage.

Resources:

-Big Robbins is overkill and it will eat too much of your time if you actually try to read it cover to cover, treat it as a reference text. Medium Robbins is perfect and can be read along with the material you're covering in class. Doing the Robbins Question book is good test prep during the year.

-Rapid Review Path. This is a great review text. I used it both during the year after I'd seen everything once and then did a full read-through while studying for step I.

-USMLEWorld. Best question source by far. I did some during the year and then reset and redid everything while prepping for Step I. In hindsight, I probably would have done more during the year. I really think the more comfortable you are with UWorld, the better you will do on Step I. (same for Step II, btw)

Do you recommend starting UW during the year or only in the last few months leading up to Step 1?

Do you recommend starting UW during the year or only in the last few months leading up to Step 1?

I used it periodically throughout the year in tutor mode, covering whatever we were doing in class. I didn't get through everything.

f you have a 6+ month subscription, you can reset it once. I reset it for the last month and then did it in random blocks.

I definitely found it helpful and probably would have done more of it if I were doing this again.

Ok, I was planning to go with Kaplan or Rx to use during the school year and then get UW about 3 months or so out. But now, I wonder if I should just start UW now and be able to get like a 2nd or 3rd pass by the end.

I've heard some people say not to start UW so early because it is the best bank and you want to save it until the end. Thoughts?

Path was definitely my strong suit on Step I.

My advice would be to start early and master your med school coursework, that will be a huge advantage.

Resources:

-Big Robbins is overkill and it will eat too much of your time if you actually try to read it cover to cover, treat it as a reference text. Medium Robbins is perfect and can be read along with the material you're covering in class. Doing the Robbins Question book is good test prep during the year.

-Rapid Review Path. This is a great review text. I used it both during the year after I'd seen everything once and then did a full read-through while studying for step I.

-USMLEWorld. Best question source by far. I did some during the year and then reset and redid everything while prepping for Step I. In hindsight, I probably would have done more during the year. I really think the more comfortable you are with UWorld, the better you will do on Step I. (same for Step II, btw)

THANKS so much for your advice!!! What do u think about the other subjects: physio, anatomy, pharm, biochem, micro??? Should I review all of them in a similar way I would for path??

Ok, I was planning to go with Kaplan or Rx to use during the school year and then get UW about 3 months or so out. But now, I wonder if I should just start UW now and be able to get like a 2nd or 3rd pass by the end.

I've heard some people say not to start UW so early because it is the best bank and you want to save it until the end. Thoughts?

I did UWorld for Step II twice. Once during the year and once while prepping for Step II. This plan worked great for me and I don't regret it one bit.

Yes, I did get some questions correct the second time through because I recognized them... but that doesn't mean that I hadn't learned the concepts. Personally, I think that more repetition and familiarity with UWorld concepts = better => higher scores. I can't comment about Rx but I did have access to kaplan and I didn't like it as much.

I was in the same dilemma as you few weeks ago and I decided to go with Rx for couple of reasons.

One was money. Rx is cheaper than Uworld (like by $60 for 6-month subscription). Two, Rx is an amazing way to cover FA. I figure if I do entire Rx, then I've covered FA once. This is huge because if I manage to cover FA 2x in my dedicated study, then I've really covered it 3x. I don't know about you, but FA is pretty much THE resource for Step 1 and to go through it multiple times can do nothing but help.

i got 99s on both steps

protip: do a ton of questions. i've prob done close to 25000 questions (world, kaplan, usmlerx, mksap) throughout med school

Rollo, are you going with a 9mth Rx and then overlapping near the end with a few months of UW?

I think I would go with UW for 9mths except that's not an option...it's either 6 or 12, and I am 9 months out from Step I. Ideas? 6mo Rx + 6mo UW? Some other combo?

Rollo, are you going with a 9mth Rx and then overlapping near the end with a few months of UW?

I think I would go with UW for 9mths except that's not an option...it's either 6 or 12, and I am 9 months out from Step I. Ideas? 6mo Rx + 6mo UW? Some other combo?

Yea, I just did 6 months Rx and as soon as that ends (end of March), I'll get 2 months of UW because I'm taking my boards at end of May. I don't see the point in overlap honestly. Probably because I plan to finish entire Rx by March.

Cool, how are you liking Rx so far? Have you tried out Kaplan?

quick questions: how often are the these qbanks updated? are most of the questions in uw the same as 2-3 years back?

I like Rx. It is actually an interesting way to learn/re-learn the material because you see how it ALL fits together. I would say it helps solidify information that we learn in class. Starting soon, I want to start doing more and more questions from last year's material though.

I haven't tried Kaplan, don't think I'm going to because I feel that Rx is sufficient until I get UW then of course I'll strictly focus on UW.

Rx claims that they are constantly updating their questions. Plus, you got to take into account that there are 2000+ questions with all of these qbanks. Majority of them are well-written questions so I can't imagine them recycling the entire qbank every year or so. They might update questions that were poorly-written or people did really bad on.