Advice for the Summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

testanxiety

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have another question. I go to medical school far away from my home state, and have been doing research in my home dermatology department throughout MS1 and probably continuing throughout my tenure in medical school. However, I will be going back home soon before MS2 begins, and am wondering if you guys think it would be wise to contact a derm program in my home state to see if I can shadow or attend grand rounds or something worthwhile, for the purpose of gaining more experience and making connections. Do you guys think this is a good idea, and if so, how should I go about emailing my home program? There is one attending who graduated from my medical school there, should I email him specifically since we would have something in common?

Also, I've been a little reserved in explaining to my current PI [who's a derm attending also] the extent to which I want to pursue derm and my interests. Is there such thing as being "too interested" or "too pushy" when it comes to discussing your goals/ambitions? I want him to remain receptive to me, but don't want to overwhelm him at the same time...Maybe I'm overthinking this...

Thanks for your help. I know I shouldn't put all my eggs in the derm basket as I haven't even taken step 1 yet, but the more I explore other medical specialties (via shadowing and speaking to other doctors), the more my interest in dermatology grows. I appreciate any advice you have.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I have another question. I go to medical school far away from my home state, and have been doing research in my home dermatology department throughout MS1 and probably continuing throughout my tenure in medical school. However, I will be going back home soon before MS2 begins, and am wondering if you guys think it would be wise to contact a derm program in my home state to see if I can shadow or attend grand rounds or something worthwhile, for the purpose of gaining more experience and making connections. Do you guys think this is a good idea, and if so, how should I go about emailing my home program? There is one attending who graduated from my medical school there, should I email him specifically since we would have something in common?

Also, I've been a little reserved in explaining to my current PI [who's a derm attending also] the extent to which I want to pursue derm and my interests. Is there such thing as being "too interested" or "too pushy" when it comes to discussing your goals/ambitions? I want him to remain receptive to me, but don't want to overwhelm him at the same time...Maybe I'm overthinking this...

Thanks for your help. I know I shouldn't put all my eggs in the derm basket as I haven't even taken step 1 yet, but the more I explore other medical specialties (via shadowing and speaking to other doctors), the more my interest in dermatology grows. I appreciate any advice you have.

It wouldn't hurt to shadow one day or attend grand rounds just to get some exposure within the department. I think reaching out to the attending who graduated from your medical school would be a good start. I don't think you need to go overboard in expressing your interest. You are doing research as an MS1 in dermatology, I'm pretty sure the PI knows where your interests lie. If he/she asks, be honest. If he/she doesn't ask, just let it be.

Reactions: 2 users