Advice for those of us starting in the fall?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopingtobePT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone on here has any advice for those of us starting this fall.

For example,

-computer suggestions/tips?
-things people wear to class (athletic clothes or just like jeans/tees?)
-things to brush up on before we go (or should we just relax?)
-things you wish YOU knew going into school?
-any useful websites/resources that helped you through the first year, aside from your required class materials?

Those are just some kinds of things I had been thinking about and wondering. But I'd be really appreciative if any current (or past) students would like to throw out their 2 cents and give advice to those of us getting ready to start? :)

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Almost through my fourth week of my program. My advice........enjoy your time off! There's a lot of work involved, but you can easily live a balanced life if you manage your time right. Dress code wise, I guess it all depends on where you go. For me (U of Wisconsin), I show up to class everyday in a t-shirt and shorts. I heard a few programs actually have some sort of 'business casual' type dress code.

The only thing that I really wish I had done prior to matriculating into the program was actually visiting the school and meeting faculty and students........can only blame myself for this one. I do like it here, but I have the feeling that I would be in NY in the fall.

Do balanced your time always, must have a good time management in your daily life. Enjoy your work and enjoy your day. You don't have to worry about on the way you will dresses as long as you are comfortable on it. But prefer to look good and neat.

You can search for nursing sites that often visit and preferred by seniors you ca talk with seniors anyway, in this way you can have that good advice from them.

Members don't see this ad :)
-computer suggestions/tips?
-things people wear to class (athletic clothes or just like jeans/tees?)
-things to brush up on before we go (or should we just relax?)
-things you wish YOU knew going into school?
-any useful websites/resources that helped you through the first year, aside from your required class materials?

For a computer, any laptop will do. Most of my classmates and I use a MacBook, but that's just preference. No reason but it being an awesome computer.

We have a dress code in our classes - shorts, t-shirts and sports bras. If we are taking a practical or visiting a clinic we are in business casual. But for labs and practicing we typically have our tops off - girls included.

Enjoy the summer off. You could try to brush up on muscle origins, insertions, actions, innervations, but your anatomy teachers may have specific pieces to know that differ than a text book.

For websites, it really depends on your classes first year. Believe it or not, it's not the same at all schools. i used google a lot for my biomechanics class to watch videos and see other descriptions of motion, however nothing specific to note.

Just remember, when classes start you'll be super busy - so enjoy your summer, organize your home since you won't have much time to do it when school starts, and enjoy the outdoors. Spending nights and weekends in lab will make you miss it quickly - but it's totally worth it. I just finished my first year last week and it's been an awesome experience.

If you aren't already consistently working out properly begin to now- I'm not saying you need to be a body builder but you will be a better PT and PT student if you are taking care of your body like you should. Good body self maintenance is a life long practice that you will preach to your patients... don't be one of those do as i say and not as i do people. Other than that just relax your mind and get ready to study a lot.

thanks for the post and the responses..keep 'em coming!

Finished my first year of PT school in March, so maybe I can throw some things out there...

Things I wished I knew before going to school? I do wish I had visited the school after I had gotten accepted, though unfortunately I was living in Seattle at the time (I go to school in NY), so no dice! But I wish I could have, to meet my professors, possibly my classmates, and to take another look at the school (found out my first day of class that there was practically NO college town, and it was a challenge getting around without a car, which unfortunately I did not have).

As far as clothing, people wore whatever they wanted, though when it came time for lab we all had to change into sports bras/tank tops/shorts. Working out helps too, I started working out shortly before PT school (though I am still not entirely in shape, haha)...because you will be practically half-naked in front of your entire class a lot, and also, as someone mentioned above, I wanted to be an example for my patients in the future (the "do as I say, but don't do what I do" thing).

I recently bought a book to start studying for the licensing exam, and found it to be a great tool for reviewing everything that we had learned through the first year. It's by Scott M. Giles and titled NPTE...something, I don't have the full name of the book with me. But you should be able to find it on Amazon easily.

You can review your muscle origins/insertions, but I would highly suggest taking the summer off to enjoy your free time! You will have little of it in PT school (I didn't believe this myself, until I found myself studying 5-6 hours a day outside of classes, which comprised an entire 8 hour day, save for maybe 1 day out of the week). And practice good time management...also another good life skill to have, and especially important in PT school.

this is a great thread. thank you everyone for your answers. i'm starting in september and am starting to get a little nervous. ive got the whole summer off from school and am nervous about jumping back into it. i'm toying around with the anatomy flash cards but im having trouble really focusing because there isnt really any immediate pressure to relearn anything. hopefully i'm not gonna be screwed going into school.

this is a great thread. thank you everyone for your answers..

I totally agree. Reading this thread gives me a little peace of mind.

I've been coloring in an anatomy coloring book I picked up at Barnes and Noble the other day. Its pretty simple, but its getting my mind back thinking about school and human bodies. It even gives me something to do on my lunch breaks :)

Also, i'm not sure about everyone's programs... but we just got our booklist and all i can say is wow, that's going to be a LOT of $$.
Anyone in school want to shed light on this? Did you use all the books you bought? Did you resell them when you were done, or keep them?

PTStudent11, definitely look online for books, and check Facebook for 2nd year students looking to sell. I'll also be looking to see if I can find international editions for them (although I doubt there are many floating around out there...I used IEs for almost all my undergrad science courses tho cuz it saves a lot of $$)

I would definitely contact some 2nd years and ask what books you actually need. If I add together all required books during my first year it probably adds up to 12-15, but I actually just got 2 for anatomy, 1 for patho, and another for neuro that were actually used. I also got 1 for musculoskeletal for reference (since this is the field I am mostly interested) but never actually used in class. Do not go spending money on books before you know which ones you actually need!!!

I totally agree. Reading this thread gives me a little peace of mind.

I've been coloring in an anatomy coloring book I picked up at Barnes and Noble the other day. Its pretty simple, but its getting my mind back thinking about school and human bodies. It even gives me something to do on my lunch breaks :)

Also, i'm not sure about everyone's programs... but we just got our booklist and all i can say is wow, that's going to be a LOT of $$.
Anyone in school want to shed light on this? Did you use all the books you bought? Did you resell them when you were done, or keep them?

thanks for all the responses! Keep them coming if you have them!

For those of us about to start, what are YOU doing to prepare? Studying? Relaxing? Spending as much time as possible not thinking about school? :)

If you aren't already consistently working out properly begin to now- I'm not saying you need to be a body builder but you will be a better PT and PT student if you are taking care of your body like you should. Good body self maintenance is a life long practice that you will preach to your patients... don't be one of those do as i say and not as i do people. Other than that just relax your mind and get ready to study a lot.

100% Agreed. This should actually be a pre-requisite in my opinion. I don't understand how a student can be accepted into a PT program if he or she is obviously out of shape and shows no desire or motivation to improve their lifestyle.

Well apparently the only thing I have been doing to prepare for school is working out like a crazy person, so I have that part down!!! I had some grand ideas about starting to study anatomy and such this summer, but somehow other things have been stealing my attention. I am definitely operating in the "enjoying my summer" category. I am nervous about starting, but I think that studying now isn't really going to make a huge difference. I am just a million percent excited about starting, and am totally counting down the weeks until August 30th!

I'm on the working out binge as well, while also trying to rehab some past injuries I have (broken hip causing SIJD). Sitting in class always pops me out so trying to get that in check haha. Other than that I've been studying muscles origins insertion and innervation. Not killing myself just trying to keep my mind fresh. It's so hard to just jump right back into school so I recommend just doing some studying a month out atleast. I did meet a lot of 1st and 2nd years at the gym and that calmed my nerves a lot haha. Not to mention they gave me their gross anatomy notes.I love how it's not a competition in PT school and everyone is willing to help. Best of luck to all

agreed. that's one thing i've noticed at my school among PT and OT students as well. EVERYONE is willing to help you out and be encouraging, whether with notes, old exams or even textbooks. makes me excited about being able to eventually work with such a great group of people!

i'm enjoying my time off. i studied my BUTT OFF in undergrad and am definately enjoying the last bit of time we have left without having to memorize OINAs (origin, insertion, nerve & action-ugh!). i'm also working a lot to save up some $$ as i won't be able to work as much during the program. once we start school, we won't have much time off and then after that it's time for the real world working 5 days 40 hours/wk. it's our last summer of freeom :cool:

good luck & congrats to everyone!