Advice for where to start? (I am a college sophomore)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

christyshim

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just finishing my sophomore year of college, and looking into the vet field. I'm worried because I feel like it's a little late to start volunteering for animal shelters and shadowing... what do you think? I have a 3.6 GPA (hopefully I will bring it to a 3.7 this semester), and lots of other non-animal volunteering experience. Is it possible for me to get enough hours for vet school this late in the game? If it's not to late, where should I start (volunteering at a shelter, shadowing, ect.)?

I'm also worried about paying for school. The only way I am going to a 4 year college now is because I'm basically on a full ride scholarship. Are there scholarship opportunities for vet schools and how hard is it to get them? Do you have to be a really exceptional person?
Side note: I have really bad allergies to cats, some dogs, and small, furry animals in general, has anyone had experience with allergy shots (how well did they work)?

I really appreciate any advice!!!

Members don't see this ad.

It's not too late, but I would start finding places to shadow and volunteer like, yesterday! You need VET specific hours, so finding a place to shadow will be a good start. As far as scholarships, most people don't get them their first year and they are usually only very small amounts. The majority of people in vet school use loans to pay for everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not too late, but I would start finding places to shadow and volunteer like, yesterday! You need VET specific hours, so finding a place to shadow will be a good start. As far as scholarships, most people don't get them their first year and they are usually only very small amounts. The majority of people in vet school use loans to pay for everything.
This. You need vet hours and clinical experience for vet school. You also need animal experience hours (handling, interacting, etc.). Its not too late, but you are really going to have to build up some hours. Since you have a full-ride to your undergrad, you should be fine if you go to your IS school (cheaper). Most students come into vet school with undergrad debt so your sitting good right now. The majority of students pay for vet school with loans since scholarships are limited. Realistically, you will have debt to pay back after vet school.

I am just finishing my sophomore year of college, and looking into the vet field. I'm worried because I feel like it's a little late to start volunteering for animal shelters and shadowing... what do you think? I have a 3.6 GPA (hopefully I will bring it to a 3.7 this semester), and lots of other non-animal volunteering experience. Is it possible for me to get enough hours for vet school this late in the game? If it's not to late, where should I start (volunteering at a shelter, shadowing, ect.)?

I'm also worried about paying for school. The only way I am going to a 4 year college now is because I'm basically on a full ride scholarship. Are there scholarship opportunities for vet schools and how hard is it to get them? Do you have to be a really exceptional person?
Side note: I have really bad allergies to cats, some dogs, and small, furry animals in general, has anyone had experience with allergy shots (how well did they work)?

I really appreciate any advice!!!
You are definitely not too late. I didn't know I wanted to go to vet school until after I graduated undergrad! You've got plenty of time to research schools and get lots of veterinary experience hours plus all your prerequisites done!

Reactions: 1 user
I started getting clinical experience the summer after my sophomore year. But definitely start getting it in.

Hey, I didn't really get vet experience until after Sophomore year, and I got accepted into school on the first try. There is definitely hope! I would start looking for opportunities in your home town (or wherever you will live during the summer) as the semester is almost over. I emailed just about every vet clinic that existed at home, and started volunteering at a newly opened clinic, where I now work. Do you have any volunteer experience with animals? That would be helpful to mention. I attached a resume for good measure. Sometimes vet clinics only had a "contact us" form, so in that case I mentioned that I could send my resume for them to see.

There are also many places that are already quite friendly to volunteers - for example, in my college town, there is an animal rescue and low cost spay/neuter clinic that has over 150 volunteers. You can work in animal care, as a vet tech assistant, medical ward assistant, etc. So look around for stuff like that.

My email to veterinary clinics was something like this:

"Dear staff of [Specific Animal Clinic Name],

I am emailing you to inquire about your policies regarding volunteering at your clinic. I am currently a [major - etc "Biology"] and pre-vet undergraduate at [university], and will be coming back home to [town] over my summer vacation. I would love to get some experience in different animal medical facilities over the summer, both to help increase the knowledge of the different fields I could go into, and make connections with individuals already in the discipline.

[Talk about any experience with animals/medicine here: 'I already have experience in the clinical setting - I volunteer 4-5 hours of my time each week to the [Animal Shelted and Spay/Neuter Clinic]. Much of this time is spent under the supervision of Dr. [Doctor Name]. My duties in the clinic include assisting in recovery, administering vaccinations, and filling prescriptions and local blocks (as well as other activities).] I can send my resume to you if you would like, and I urge you to please let me know about any opportunities you may have.

Thank you very much for your time,
Name
Phone #
Email"
As for scholarships, I have not seen many specifically for 1st years. However, your school may still provide them! I just received a grant for a few thousand for my first year, as well as a special loan that my school gives out to those with financial need (doesn't accrue interest during school, low rate). I'm not exceptional, but I do have financial need. Obviously, loans will make up a large part of the payment, but it does help. And, there are some online if you search. One of the biggest helps is to go to an in-state school, if possible, or a low cost out of state school. This is a helpful resource for getting an idea of the cheapest school for you to attend: http://www.vinfoundation.org/apputil/project/defaultadv1.aspx?id=5327182&said=-1

As for the allergy shot... I don't have experience with that. :c But I know a family who has a cat, and the dad is severely allergic to their cat. He takes pills and is completely fine! I would talk to a doctor about your options - they will have more knowledge than us.