Advice-Fourth year electives in psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SXMMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm a Caribbean med student entering fourth year, still oscillating between doing a med or psych residency, but really excited to pursue some psych electives this upcoming year to help make the decision. Thus far I've had 3 weeks experience of adult inpatient psych and 3 weeks of inpatient child psych in NY (Long Island) through my core rotation. I haven't had a lot of exposure to and am interested in learning more about psychotherapy, CBT etc and seeing those modalities in action. I would also like more exposure to outpatient psychiatry. Could anyone drop recommendations for particular programs that would give me good exposure in these areas?

Also, I may not be able to secure a rotation in neurology, is that going to be a problem come application season? I've been told by some it's important to have that rotation under my belt and others say it's not super important.

Your advice is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

If you like both, you can match into a med/psyc residency. I'll leave it to others to answer your questions.