Advice Friends Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wintergirl05

Junior Ninja
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the MCAT, I am signed up to take it in January. I am focusing on it but for now I don't feel very strong in any of the sections yet..hopefully that will change as I prep more in the next 2.5 months.

Is it a good idea to go ahead and apply for post-bac or take extra science courses or should I just focus on scoring really well on the MCAT? I know gpa is important but between now and June, I wouldn't even be able to take that many science courses to make a difference in my gpa. Should I hold off on applying in June and do post-bac, actually taking enough science classes to raise my gpa higher, and raising my MCAT? If I score 30+ on my MCAT before June cycle, should I just go ahead and apply to med school any way instead of doing post-bac for a year then applying again next year. I know I would have to work really hard to get above a 30 but I'm just leaving that thought open for now. I'm bringing up post-bac because apps are going to open soon for some schools.

Any advice from my SDN friends would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to share your experiences because I'm sure a lot of people go through with these questions in their head every day or week. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do NOT go Caribbean.

I think your best bet is to do a Post-bac.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply for the postbac and plan to get a 3.7+ GPA to make the expense worthwhile.

Or do an informal postbac, which is cheaper.

Or apply to DO schools and save the money.

What is an informal post bac? I'm not very familiar with the types of post bac there are.

Also, will med schools make a huge deal if I take classes at a cc? I'm talking about classes like Spanish or Chinese.

1) What is an informal post bac? I'm not very familiar with the types of post bac there are.

2) Also, will med schools make a huge deal if I take classes at a cc? I'm talking about classes like Spanish or Chinese.
1) See SDN's Postbaccalaureate Programs Forum and you can explore your options. Read the stickies.

2) Some med schools will care and some won't, but for the most part classes like those won't be a problem.