Advice from AMGs Wanted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

res-2007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a US-IMG.
Most of the sites where I interview primarily have IMG residents and usually IMG Program directors.
I do not like these programs, but I have no choice since the likelihood of my being accepted at a program that is not an Img-factory is limited.

At almost every site, the applicants are connected.
There are relatives, family friends or classmates of current residents who try to get them placed.
Many programs have almost all their residents from one country.
This has resulted in some bizarre behavior on interview day.
Example, in group settings where current residents are supposed to tell us about the program and answer question, and they do it, in their language so that only their country men and women can understand.
Last week in NYC, a portion of morning rounds was held in a language that several of the applicants didn't know.
This has happened several times, always where there is a large concentration of residents from one particular country and the PD is also IMG.

This is just wrong.
God forbid you match into such a program. If they are that inconsiderate at interviews, what will happen during residency?

What can be done to stop this practice and prevent it from happening in the future?
Who do I complain to, other than the PDs, cause I'm pretty sure they are part of the problem?

Members don't see this ad.

What you are describing sounds completely and totally unprofessional and unacceptable. It is unacceptable for PDs to be discussing residency issues with applicants in a "foreign tongue". I would complain to the Chair of Medicine at those programs where you interviewed where this occured. If I was a chair I would be absolutely furious if my PD was doing this. You should not even consider ranking these types of programs.

What you are describing sounds completely and totally unprofessional and unacceptable. It is unacceptable for PDs to be discussing residency issues with applicants in a "foreign tongue". I would complain to the Chair of Medicine at those programs where you interviewed where this occured. If I was a chair I would be absolutely furious if my PD was doing this. You should not even consider ranking these types of programs.

U know...one of my friends who interviewed at a medical school (allopathic) in Minnesota told me.....

He had on his application....Spanish as a foreign language he knew.....to his surprise the entire MEDICAL SCHOOL interview was in SPANISH!!!!

He did eventually go to medical school there.

But things like this happen even before residency...I dont think it's fair either.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that is somewhat different in they may have been testing if he is truly bilingual. This also happened to me at a medical school interview in PA. This is different than having rounds/or a large group of folks and *then* talk in X or Y language that is not English.

I am a US-IMG.
Most of the sites where I interview primarily have IMG residents and usually IMG Program directors.
I do not like these programs, but I have no choice since the likelihood of my being accepted at a program that is not an Img-factory is limited.

At almost every site, the applicants are connected.
There are relatives, family friends or classmates of current residents who try to get them placed.
Many programs have almost all their residents from one country.
This has resulted in some bizarre behavior on interview day.
Example, in group settings where current residents are supposed to tell us about the program and answer question, and they do it, in their language so that only their country men and women can understand.
Last week in NYC, a portion of morning rounds was held in a language that several of the applicants didn't know.
This has happened several times, always where there is a large concentration of residents from one particular country and the PD is also IMG.

This is just wrong.
God forbid you match into such a program. If they are that inconsiderate at interviews, what will happen during residency?

What can be done to stop this practice and prevent it from happening in the future?
Who do I complain to, other than the PDs, cause I'm pretty sure they are part of the problem?

What program are you talking about? This is very surprising.

If this really happened, then this program can potentially go on probation and the PD can get fired. All you have to do is to inform the ACGME.

If I were you I would send a letter to the ACGME explaining the situation, especially about the language thing, because the topic about connections etc thats seems to happen everywhere!!!

Thanks for your suggestions.
Brookdale (IM) had part of morning conference and most of the tour in a foreign language.
Also at Lincoln (IM) and Delaware (psych) parts of the tour were not in English.
Delaware was the worse. Lunch was provided for all the residents. They popped in as time allowed, talked among themselves and with some of the candidates, but never in English.
There was not a single word spoken in English at lunch except between myself and another candidate.

if you are AMG, why did you apply to brookdale (IM)? I did a rotation there during my 3rd year and I do not think they have any AMG's in their program. It was my worest rotation ever.

if you are AMG, why did you apply to brookdale (IM)? I did a rotation there during my 3rd year and I do not think they have any AMG's in their program. It was my worest rotation ever.

If you read my original post, you would have seen that I clearly said I was a US-IMG!!!! and gave my reason for applying to programs like Brookdale.

I am a US-IMG.