Advice from current ODs or OD students

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mtran22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been admitted into the Salus University traditional program and the Nova Southeastern University extended program and wanted some advice/insight.

Salus University in Philadelphia, PA:
Admitted into the traditional program: 4 year program
2.5 years of didactic work and 1.5 externships
Rotations in their clinic starting the first semester
1 onsite clinic
Ultimate boards pass rate 95%
Reviews online say the administration doesn't care about their students and fail people for little reason
Total tuition $140,000
Closer to home (from Chicago) and have some family living in Philadelphia

Nova Southeastern University in Fort Lauderdale, FL:
Admitted into the extended program: 5 year program
4 years didactic work and 1 year externships
Rotations in their clinic starting 4th year
5 onsite clinics
Ultimate boards pass rate 99%
During my interview I felt very welcomed and have heard from current and previous students how much the administration cares about their students
Total tuition: $130,000
Amazing location and weather

I am a hands on learner which makes me think Salus would be the best choice because they start observations in the clinic the first semester and there is an extra half a year of externships but I'm apprehensive of the condensed curriculum, the last thing I would want to do is fail a class. If I go with Nova I would be sitting in class without patient interaction for 3 years which sounds discouraging. And although Nova would be cheaper in tuition that is an extra year that I could be working and making money.

If you have any advice or insight I would really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

I've been admitted into the Salus University traditional program and the Nova Southeastern University extended program and wanted some advice/insight.

1 onsite clinic
Reviews online say the administration doesn't care about their students and fail people for little reason
Total tuition $140,000

5 onsite clinics
During my interview I felt very welcomed and have heard from current and previous students how much the administration cares about their students

I am a hands on learner which makes me think Salus would be the best choice because they start observations in the clinic the first semester and there is an extra half a year of externships but I'm apprehensive of the condensed curriculum, the last thing I would want to do is fail a class. If I go with Nova I would be sitting in class without patient interaction for 3 years which sounds discouraging. And although Nova would be cheaper in tuition that is an extra year that I could be working and making money.

Why is the four year program the condensed program? What about that is condensed?

Go to Salus. You will graduate a year earlier and instead of paying tuition you'll be MAKING at or close to a six figure salary. This is really a no-brainer.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Why is the four year program the condensed program? What about that is condensed?

Go to Salus. You will graduate a year earlier and instead of paying tuition you'll be MAKING at or close to a six figure salary. This is really a no-brainer.

Condensed compared to Nova; what I would learn in 4 years at Nova I would be learning in 2.5 at Salus.

Thank you for you for taking the time to respond!

What are your stats if i may ask

Condensed compared to Nova; what I would learn in 4 years at Nova I would be learning in 2.5 at Salus.

But most of the other programs are traditionally 4 years. I dont understand why you would want to do 4 years of didactic work. I dont see the point in an extra 5th year, especially since its not a residency year or something. Have you considered any other schools? Maybe its just me, but I feel like seeing patients in the clinic from 4th year is kind of late.

Also, why pay an extra year of tuition + housing? You could defer the loans or something and do a residency (and get paid for it) or you can just start working right away as KHE mentioned. Even if the tuition does balance out, do you really want to spend an extra (imo, unecessary) year?

Nah man, optometry school is traditionally 4 years. Do the traditional 4 year program.

Yea, it's probably slightly harder than the 5 year plan but so what? You should be able to handle it. Thousands have come before you who have handled it just fine. Work hard for 4 years instead of semi-hard for 5, graduate and start getting paid.

Nah man, optometry school is traditionally 4 years. Do the traditional 4 year program.

Yea, it's probably slightly harder than the 5 year plan but so what? You should be able to handle it. Thousands have come before you who have handled it just fine. Work hard for 4 years instead of semi-hard for 5, graduate and start getting paid.

I was thinking the same thing about working hard for 4 or semi-hard for 5. Working hard for 4 seems like the better choice.
Thank you!

But most of the other programs are traditionally 4 years. I dont understand why you would want to do 4 years of didactic work. I dont see the point in an extra 5th year, especially since its not a residency year or something. Have you considered any other schools? Maybe its just me, but I feel like seeing patients in the clinic from 4th year is kind of late.

Also, why pay an extra year of tuition + housing? You could defer the loans or something and do a residency (and get paid for it) or you can just start working right away as KHE mentioned. Even if the tuition does balance out, do you really want to spend an extra (imo, unecessary) year?

I agree, 4 years of didactic work sounds miserable.
Thank you!

1 onsite clinic
Total tuition $140,000

5 onsite clinics

"Ultimate" pass-rates for examinations are meaningless. Ask for first-time rates.

^ I agree, Salus university does have a lower initial pass rate for part 1 of boards since this we do start our clinical externships a semester earlier than other schools. The only advice I can give a make sure your 3rd year site is nearby so you don't have to commute far or spend time moving when you should be studying.

And also agreed an extra year or school is pointless unless you wanted to do residency after your optometry degree

Hi, I'm an OD1 at Nova. Congrats on your acceptances! That's awesome. The Extended program is called the "E-program" and is for people that are either older, have families or other obligations, where it would be more difficult for them to have the same course load as the non-E students. Basically it just takes the first and second year curriculum and spreads it out into three years instead of two years, then they take the same classes as us 3rd year and have externships 4th year, just like us. It's not looked down upon at all, I actually have a lot of respect for them for being able to handle OD school with kids, etc! There's a handful of E-students in each class and I know they truly appreciate the option of the E-program. My recommendation to you is to go to school wherever you want and where you would be truly happy. I love being in nice warm weather but it just depends on what you want. If you hate warm weather, don't go to a school that only has that haha. If you hate cold weather, definitely consider a warm weather school. Also, where are you from and where is your family? You will be super busy and won't have too much time to visit out-of-state frequently, trust me I've tried going back to AZ every chance I can get but it's still very hard. You'll want to be near your family. The NBEO national scores honestly don't matter as much as you think, if you care and put in the work and study for the NBEO, you'll pass and do well. Every school using the same prep program (KMK) and has to teach you most of the same classes to prepare you for the NBEO and graduation. Optometry school is really how you make it and how hard you want to work at it. Also about when you see patients, I know when I was applying that was all I cared about "When do I see my first patient???" but now in OD school, I've realized that I have soooooo much to learn before I even think to start seeing patients. I was a tech for 2 years at 4 different OD practices and still am amazed on the amount of detail and volume of things I need to learn and remember to be a good doctor and pass.

Reactions: 1 user