Advice: horribly inconsistent MCAT scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Steph4VP

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a question that I'm hoping yall can help me out on.

I took the MCAT last June and got a 26 ( 10PS, 6VR, 10 BS, had major anxiety during that verbal section). 3 months later, in September, I retook it and got a 27 (11 PS, 9 VR, 7 BS, I had a horrible stomachache that literally came out of nowhere during the break after verbal).

I'm not naive, I know I F-ed up badly. Two test scores with similar scores overall but drastically different point breakdowns is not good. But nevertheless, I have been working with a huge chip on my shoulders studying 10/5 for the past 3 months for the new MCAT. I am averaging around 513-514 on the TPR MCAT2015 practice tests, and got 83% overall on the AAMC 2015 Practice Test.

So my questions now are that:
1) How bad do my first two scores look, put bluntly?
2) Whats worse: applying with a 27 MCAT having taken the test twice, or applying with (hypothetically) the equivalent of a 33 on the MCAT2015 having taken the test 3 times?

Any advice is extremely appreciated, thank you!

P.S. For a little background info, I have a 3.79cGPA, 3.72sGPA, and overall very strong extracurriculars and LORs

Members don't see this ad.

The first two scores look pretty bad. Scores of 7 or below are not welcomed by MD schools.

It is much better to apply with 26/27/33 than it is to apply with 26/27.

Reactions: 1 user
Best of luck with your MCAT! Nerves were my main nemesis too when taking the MCAT... make sure to get those under control!