Advice MCAT BS MD person

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reddoggie979

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm a BS/MD student through a partnership with a state allopathic (MD) school. Conditional on a certain GPA and a 25 MCAT with no less than 7 in each section. I'm going to be a first semester sophomore, although I will probably graduate by Fall '15. I am aware that the MCAT is changing, and I would like to take it now to relieve some stress and solidify myself in the BS/MD. I'm a liberal arts major and I have taken all of the prerequisites other than Org Chem II and Biochemistry.

I have been passively studying for the last month or so, I don't know if I would call it studying. I should've taken better advantage of the summer. I'm signed up for the Oct 25 (2014) MCAT. I have done lots of Verbal passages, and questions through EK and TPR with mixed results but always over 50% averaging out at 70%, and have done content review in Biology, where I was the weakest.

This is my first post to the site and I would like advice on how to hit my 25 and avoid a retake and general direction/guidance.

Thanks to everybody who contributes.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you taken a practice exam?

I'd first recommend you take a diagnostic and see where you are. The diagnostic will most likely have an analysis of your strengths and weaknesses. You can then plan your study schedule accordingly since your test is coming up soon.

Haven't taken a full practice exam yet, I'm thinking about studying for 6 hours or so a day until the test. Class load isn't bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haven't taken a full practice exam yet, I'm thinking about studying for 6 hours or so a day until the test. Class load isn't bad.

Take an exam and see how you do. The MCAT is a different type of test from what you've probably seen in undergrad. It tests your knowledge differently and when you are able to understand how concepts will be tested then you will be better suited to study. This is my opinion, more are sure to come.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I doubt I'll do well enough for a 25 my first time. The BS/MD people just added the MCAT req for my year. Hooray, lol.

Take a practice exam ASAP, timed, full-length. AAMC3 is free (e-mcat.com) but keep in mind that it's the easiest of the practice tests and below the level of difficulty of the current MCAT. If you can't get well above 25 (and by that I mean low-mid 30s) then you shouldn't sit for the exam in Oct, unless/until you can get your average score up to that range before taking the real thing. People tend to score 3-5 points below their practice test average, so you need an average well above your minimum threshold. Don't jeopardize your acceptance by winging it.
Good luck.

Take a practice exam ASAP, timed, full-length. AAMC3 is free (e-mcat.com) but keep in mind that it's the easiest of the practice tests and below the level of difficulty of the current MCAT. If you can't get well above 25 (and by that I mean low-mid 30s) then you shouldn't sit for the exam in Oct, unless/until you can get your average score up to that range before taking the real thing. People tend to score 3-5 points below their practice test average, so you need an average well above your minimum threshold. Don't jeopardize your acceptance by winging it.
Good luck.

I agree with this post.

If you have the option to take it multiple times and they won't count it against you then maybe you can sit for the exam if your scoring around the 30s. But you need to take a practice exam. It's important to know where you stand and where you should put your energy if you plan on taking it soon. This exam needs much more time than you might think.

I think many would agree with me that if you just master the MCAT content and know them cold, you can score a 30 (or close to it). Beyond a 30 requires good reasoning skills, the ability to think flexibly about the concepts, strong test-taking skills, and luck.

Since you are a BS/MD candidate, I assume you are a naturally intelligent and hard-working person. I think you'll be fine. Just be confident! After your MCAT studies, take a few of the AAMC practice tests (be careful not to waste them). Save the later AAMCs (9-11) closer to your test date.

I think many would agree with me that if you just master the MCAT content and know them cold, you can score a 30 (or close to it). Beyond a 30 requires good reasoning skills, the ability to think flexibly about the concepts, strong test-taking skills, and luck.

Since you are a BS/MD candidate, I assume you are a naturally intelligent and hard-working person. I think you'll be fine. Just be confident! After your MCAT studies, take a few of the AAMC practice tests (be careful not to waste them). Save the later AAMCs (9-11) closer to your test date.

I would disagree with the first sentence. I think the testing style takes some practice to do well.

The rest I would agree with.

Well there is no stipulation in the program about how many times I can take my MCAT, and I've done worse things ie drop a class without speaking with the school of medicine and have not been kicked out.

Also I lived in an apartment with horrible noise for 6 months that usually limited my sleep to 6 hours or so and I feel like that decreased my IQ ~10 points. Maybe I was 'smart' before but it's disappeared.

Also the program I am in is not as competitive as other BS/MDs as in it was limited to in state residents and more specifically in state residents from rural areas.

Thanks for the input

You have plenty of time to get past the 25 range. Stop your passive studying NOW!

take a practice test first to see where you're at. YOu'd be surprised at waht you can achieve without studying.

Practice exams. It is much more about learning the test than the content.

Good luck.

If you score 3 points below your average, let alone 5, it means that you have glaring weaknesses and should've prepared significantly more. OP, a 25 is a very achievable score, you should take exam 3 then work through the AAMC diagnostics. If you have the appropriate background knowledge I would transition from passively studying to actively taking at least a practice exam a week and studying your weak points in between.

I have this notion that my 6 months of restricted sleep lowered my IQ. It's harder for me to remember things I read.

If you score 3 points below your average, let alone 5, it means that you have glaring weaknesses and should've prepared significantly more. OP, a 25 is a very achievable score, you should take exam 3 then work through the AAMC diagnostics. If you have the appropriate background knowledge I would transition from passively studying to actively taking at least a practice exam a week and studying your weak points in between.
Which is true for the majority of test takers...

I have this notion that my 6 months of restricted sleep lowered my IQ. It's harder for me to remember things I read.
:bullcrap:that's an attitude problem, not an aptitude problem.

Which is true for the majority of test takers...

Absolutely not. If you're well prepared, your score should fall within a very tight range around your average. Granted there are some extreme high and low scoring instances, but for the majority of well-prepared test takers your score should reflect the average of your practice exams.

Absolutely not. If you're well prepared, your score should fall within a very tight range around your average. Granted there are some extreme high and low scoring instances, but for the majority of well-prepared test takers your score should reflect the average of your practice exams.
3 points is considered a tight range.
Also, most people have (understandably) more stress/anxiety on the actual test day, which can also lower a score.

Also I'm a kissless virgin at almost 19 years old and this distracts me all the time for the past 6 months or a year. Does anybody have tips for this? (Male)