Advice Moving Forward

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bwblue

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a Junior Biology major at a small liberal arts college. Up until this year of college, I had been mainly focused on biological research (I've got about 3 years worth of experience in college so far) and moving forward with a PhD in biomedical science. However, I have recently realized that I do not enjoy a lot of the basic science within the biomedical science field--or working long hours in a lab for that matter.

I realized I need some application of the science itself to actually enjoy what I'm doing. So after talking to many people, I was directed toward Public Health and, specifically, Epidemiology. From what I've read, I think I would really enjoy the prevention aspect of Public Health as well as the advocacy for healthy living. I also think it would align well with my interest in Chronic Disease Prevention, Nutrition, and Cancer Biology. That being said, I am a little apprehensive as to whether Epidemiology is a good fit for me. I'm a really strong writer/reader, however I am naturally weaker in math (which I think is reflected in my GRE score). Do you think this would be a problem? Or would there be a better field I'm suited for?

Also, another major concern for me is the cost of the degree of the degree itself. I know a lot of the top schools in the field are $40,000 + a year, which I am not comfortable paying. I do have in state residency in Texas, so I could go to one of the state schools here (UT, Texas A&M). That being said, I do not plan on staying in Texas long term and do not want to significantly limit my career options by choosing a certain school. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Are there any schools that I should seriously consider?

Undergrad GPA:
3.98 (expecting to maintain this GPA this semester)
Major/Minor: Biology/Chemistry
GRE: V: 161 Q:155 (I know this is a little low) Writing: 4.5
Experience/Research:
1 year of Evolutionary/Plant Biology research
1 summer REU researching Cell Biology
1 summer of Cancer Biology research at the Mayo Clinic (this summer)
TA/tutor for Biology
President of a couple of academic organizations

Unfortunately, I do not have a lot of Public Health specific experience. Do you think this would be a problem?

Sorry for the long post!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you'd be a great fit. I was in the same situation as you as an undergrad in biology. I say when you apply for grad school, apply broadly and see what happens! You never know, some funding or scholarship opportunities might pop up! Also, an in-state option at UT is always a good option for the MPH, anyway. Getting a MPH there won't hurt your chances to move elsewhere for further opportunities.

Are you interested in getting a PhD? If so, think about applying for MS programs instead of MPH. It will position you better for the PhD (more emphasis on concentration courses and a thesis) and you *might* be more likely to get funding.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you'd be a great fit. I was in the same situation as you as an undergrad in biology. I say when you apply for grad school, apply broadly and see what happens! You never know, some funding or scholarship opportunities might pop up! Also, an in-state option at UT is always a good option for the MPH, anyway. Getting a MPH there won't hurt your chances to move elsewhere for further opportunities.

Wow, thank you so much for your advice! It's nice to know some other people were once in my shoes. How many programs would you recommend applying to? Would it limit my career options to get an MS vs. an MPH?

Are you interested in getting a PhD? If so, think about applying for MS programs instead of MPH. It will position you better for the PhD (more emphasis on concentration courses and a thesis) and you *might* be more likely to get funding.

I think I am definitely interested in getting a PhD, and I'm leaning towards that more now than practice. Do students traditionally go straight from a masters program to a PhD, or do they get some work experience first?

Wow, thank you so much for your advice! It's nice to know some other people were once in my shoes. How many programs would you recommend applying to? Would it limit my career options to get an MS vs. an MPH?

I wouldn't think that it matters much once you complete your PhD. I recieved a MSPH (tropical medicine) and went the DrPH (policy) route and no one questions my masters even though it has basically nothing to do with my doctorate or career.

I think I am definitely interested in getting a PhD, and I'm leaning towards that more now than practice. Do students traditionally go straight from a masters program to a PhD, or do they get some work experience first?

For PhD going straight through is pretty common, at least from my experience. DrPH programs have a tendency to look for work experience more so then the PhD, just due to the nature of the degree.

I went straight through to my MPH to PhD. I don't think for most types of employment, you'll see much difference between the MS or MPH. It's mostly just how the programs are structured and what your hands-on experiences will be. If you want a more broad education (MPH) vs. a more rigid research-based education (MS).

Your math score looks fine for most programs. Ad lobg as you've had and done decently in stats and calc 1/2, you should be fine for most epi programs. Only Biostats programs look for more advanced calc and linear algebra and stuff like that really.

DrPH programs have a tendency to look for work experience more so then the PhD, just due to the nature of the degree.
6ik4Ah

Thank you all so much for your advice! I think I will try applying to a mix of MPH and MS programs in epidemiology next year as some of you have suggested. Also, is most of the epidemiology research conducted laboratory based?