Advice needed: apply or wait?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CelinaBelle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN,
Your threads have been very helpful and I'm hoping someone might give me some advice. I've been getting a lot of mixed messages regarding a number of topics, but ultimately, I want to know if I have a chance of getting in this coming cycle.

About me:
-3rd year at a top public institution
-Physiological Science major
-3.45 cGPA
-3.3 sGPA
-32N MCAT (10 PS, 10VR, 12 BS)
-3 year member of Fellowship for International Service and Health (Last year served as Director of International Relations, this year I am Chief Relations officer). We travel to Mexico every other week to put on a free clinic.
-Shadowing experience in pediatrics
-Spent last summer working at a birthing clinic on Guam as a birthing assistant
-Doing research in lab on campus
-Number of non-science extracurriculars (student theater group, talent show performer)

My main questions:
Is the N significant enough for me to take the test again? I'm a fairly decent writer, so this score is pretty disturbing.
Is my GPA too low? Or will schools take into account the rigor of my undergraduate environment?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are a little on the low side GPA-wise. What's the trend like in your grades? If you have a good upward trend, then you might be OK for this coming cycle.

With the exception of your writing score, your MCAT is okay for MDs, but running right around the average mark. That being said, retaking is going to be risky because if your score goes down, that'll look terrible.

Your ECs look pretty good overall, though you should make sure you have enough experience in the US.

The rigor of your undergrad institution is counted only if your school is known for grade deflation (such as at Princeton). I don't know if your particular university is known for grade deflation or not. If not, then you'll be beat out by applicants coming from lesser-known schools that have higher numbers and similar ECs.

If you apply this cycle, apply broadly and apply to a few DO schools. Based on your description, I'm going to wager a guess that you're from CA, in which case it'll be tough for you to get into some of your in-state options (if I'm wrong, then disregard that last bit).

Hey SDN,
Your threads have been very helpful and I'm hoping someone might give me some advice. I've been getting a lot of mixed messages regarding a number of topics, but ultimately, I want to know if I have a chance of getting in this coming cycle.

About me:
-3rd year at a top public institution
-Physiological Science major
-3.45 cGPA
-3.3 sGPA
-32N MCAT (10 PS, 10VR, 12 BS)
-3 year member of Fellowship for International Service and Health (Last year served as Director of International Relations, this year I am Chief Relations officer). We travel to Mexico every other week to put on a free clinic.
-Shadowing experience in pediatrics
-Spent last summer working at a birthing clinic on Guam as a birthing assistant
-Doing research in lab on campus
-Number of non-science extracurriculars (student theater group, talent show performer)

My main questions:
1) Is the N significant enough for me to take the test again? I'm a fairly decent writer, so this score is pretty disturbing.
2) a) Is my GPA too low? b) Or will schools take into account the rigor of my undergraduate environment?

3) Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
1) US schools don't much care about the writing score. If you're Canadian, though, you have a problem.

2) a)Yes, unless you have a steep upward recent grade trend with most of the low grades in freshman year. Even so, another year of GPA repair would serve you well. b) Not enough to compensate for what numbers you have.

3) It would help if you'd edit in some timeframes for your activities, as otherwise they are difficult to assess. I am concerned that you have no US-based clinical experience listed as international experiences, while great, should not stand alone. The leadership looks good though.