Advice needed (applying 2013)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Korabora

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Could do 1) and 3)...then 2) next year if you have to :p That's a strong DAT and not horrible grades. I'd think your odds are pretty good for 2013 if you apply to a lot of schools, and very good next year if you do get that upward trend.

Just finish your pre-reqs, apply, make sure you're finishing your degree before matriculation to dental school. DAT scores have a much bigger pull and yours are great. Your GPA is not that bad. I got into 2 schools and got 3 interviews with a 3.0 and 20s.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

I wanted to get some advice on my current situation. I'm currently a senior at 4-year university. I had not-so-great grades in my pre-reqs due to poor time management and study habits (two C-'s that I have had to retake), and so starting from last spring (junior year), I've been working on pulling my grades up and taking more upper division sciences to show an upward trend. I managed to get a A/A-'s with 1 B+ that semester and another A that summer. I took my DAT's and got 24AA/26TS/20PAT (18 in QR, 24 in RC)

That said, I just took my finals for the semester and I'm fairly sure that I will be getting a lot of B's this semester with minimal A-'s. Maybe even 1 B-. I'm really upset because I know I could have pushed myself harder, and I'm really worried that this completely destroyed the upward trend that I established for myself. As of now, I have a 3.26o/3.06sci/2.9bcp, which I could bring up to at least a 3.3xo/3,1x/3.0x if I do well next semester. I know that most threads regarding low gpa's on this forum have mentioned the importance of having a strong upward trend, but I couldn't find any that talked about a somewhat bumpy trend that's still upwards :\ I'd be essentially going, by semester 3.49 --> 2.91 --> 3.15--> 3.09 --> 2.55 --> 3.76 --> 3.2 (projected)

My question is - is enough? I originally wanted to apply after that semester, but now I'm worried that my stats won't be good enough. I have plenty of leadership experience, 300 service hours, lots of research and potentially 2 co-authorships, etc but I know my gpa is really pulling me down. I'm walking in my graduation ceremony in May, but I am planning on not officially finishing my degree until Fall 2013 (extra semester) so that I have more time to boost my undergrad gpa. I will be taking a class or two next summer as well.

Given that I am able to do well next semester, summer and fall, would it be more advisable to:
1) Apply June 2013, send in an academic update after Fall semester and hope for the best
2) Wait until June 2014 to apply
3) Finish degree June 2013, look for a postbacc or a master's

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks for reading, and congrats to everyone that's gotten in so far this cycle! :)

I would not waste money on a post-bacc, your ECs, and DAT are great. Apply next cycle to about 10-15 schools. YOUR DAT IS SOLID!. I'm sure you'll get interviews for sure. In addition, just finish up the year with B+ or better. Just to show them you're focused and on track now. I had a poor GPA to start college and finished my last 2 yrs with a ~3.5 and my final year with ~3.7/3.8. SO I mean my overall was still very low when I submitted my app in June (3.09overall, and 2.76sGPA). So, your DAT is already like 1000X better than my 22AA. You're set.

1. stay on track
2. keep up with that dental assisting/experience
3. keep up with those good grades
4. apply/submit in June
5. wait for all the interviews to be flowing in.

GOOD LUCK!

You have good DAT scores. Apply to schools within your range next year. UoP likes to emphasize DAT more than GPA. But if you wanted a better chance at a school of your choice, I would do a Master's but you're fine either way. A Master's is certainly not necessary.

Thanks so much for the feedback everyone! It's definitely a relief to know that there's still hope. I'll be making sure to budget my time better after this scare, and rock my classes for the next year. Just need to make sure to keep my head up and stay focused :)

Imo you got good chance. Same as above poster. Apply. Do postbac meanwhile. Reaply if you have to. Get in :)

You have good DAT scores. Apply to schools within your range next year. UoP likes to emphasize DAT more than GPA. But if you wanted a better chance at a school of your choice, I would do a Master's but you're fine either way. A Master's is certainly not necessary.

agreed. UoP loves DAT, mainly PAT.

I also checked my portal which said a decision has been made and that I will receive it in the mail in 10 days