Advice Needed: Choosing a dental school with the best chance to specialize

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jeb1291

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sorry I can't type more, in the middle of a pretty crazy week at school, but if you're certain you'd like to specialize as it sounds like you are, I'd choose Penn. Top 10 are ranked, all others are P/F. That 3 class exemption at BU might give you a significant advantage, but it might not -- I'd take the sure thing and go to the school that has a proven record of sending many students to specialties. Good luck!

If there is a significant cost difference, go to the cheaper school. I assume BU is far less expensive than Penn with comparable cost of living, but I don't know. If they cost the same, then Penn would be a good call. They're about to seriously upgrade their school (right now their clinic is absolutely archaic), but the reputation does precede itself, I guess. Point being: you can specialize out of any dental school; it's about the individual, not the institution. If you expect your school to do that work for you, then you're setting yourself up for failure. Even if you don't match straight out of BU, there is no guarantee you would out of Penn either. Further, you can always do a GPR, etc. or work as a GP and reapply. You will get in the second time around, most likely. Don't make a bad choice based on "prestige" and assumptions. You control your own destiny, not your school and ultimately you need to decide what is right for you. I turned down an Ivy and am still in a position to do whatever the heck I want b/c I'm at the top of my class, extended myself in multiple leadership capacities, done a good bit of research, externships/missions, and have developed good relationships with mentors/professors for future letters. I don't expect my school's name or prestige (or lack thereof) to do ANY of the work for me in applying for residencies. Neither should you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got offered a scholarship at BU and I turned it down due to things I heard about their clinic and requirements. Please contact some students at BU to get their honest opinion before making your decision. BU is expensive too, I'd go to penn if you want to do peds, less chance of regretting that decision later!

I go to penn now, and they crush residency match stats. Penn is a huge school for students trying to specialize. And solid Peds program too.

I also did that BU OHS program and was in the same bind between BU and Penn. If you want to specialize, DEFINITELY go into Penn. As I'm sure you saw at BU, people do get into specialties but the number that do some from Penn are ridiculously more. However, if you want a much better clinical experience, I highly suggest BU because's Penn's are not the best.