Advice needed...failed step 2ck

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

depresseddude

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, first time poster here

So as the title reads, I failed my step 2ck. I've already applied. Past two days have been terrible, but I did do some constructive work. I went back and applied to programs that allow multiple attempts at step 2ck. I applied broadly to over 100 programs now. But I still feel like ****, which is gonna last forever I suppose. I just want some advice on what are my chances.

carribean US-IMG
Step 1: 216
Step 2 CS: passed first attempt
Step 2ck: 200. Retaking it in december
I don't want to make excused, but during my ck hardcore study period, I had a family emergency and had to fly back home, that took a week and a half off my study sked. I should have bumped my test back, but I was stubborn and didn't and now I'm suffering.

I know my scores suck, but I have good clinical grades, and good letters. I don't have research, but I did present two posters at ACP. what are the chances that I get a chance with some FM programs?

Members don't see this ad.

i think fm in general is a bit more forgiving than other specialties. Study hard and try to ensure you pass the second time around. There are definitely programs that states upto 2 attempts is still acceptable. I would try looking online and doing research about those.

Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure you scores are back in time for ranking. If the programs do not have a score when they go to rank they will drop you from the list.

Agree with needing to have your scores back before ranking. If your scores aren't back in time for final program rankings, they might drop you from the list. Apply broadly (more broadly than you might have if you passed on the first try). Be ready to have some top / competitive programs not even offer an interview. Be ready to explain why you didn't pass - you'll get asked in interviews (the family emergency is a good reason that many people would understand).

Agree with needing to have your scores back before ranking. If your scores aren't back in time for final program rankings, they might drop you from the list. Apply broadly (more broadly than you might have if you passed on the first try). Be ready to have some top / competitive programs not even offer an interview. Be ready to explain why you didn't pass - you'll get asked in interviews (the family emergency is a good reason that many people would understand).

Programs will not rank you without having passed step 2 score on file. There is no "might not" about it.

From the nrmp website under FAQ:

I am an international medical graduate, and my Verification Status in the R3® system says NOT VERIFIED. What does that mean?
After registration opens for the Main Residency Match®, the NRMP contacts ECFMG® once each week to verify whether the applicant has passed USMLE® Step 1 and Step 2 CK and CS. The ECFMG must verify this information by the Rank Order List Deadline for you to participate in the Main Residency Match. Once ECFMG verifies this information with the NRMP, your status will change to VERIFIED.

Last edited: