Advice Needed for Dental Hygiene

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saunierb

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated with my bachelors of science in 2015 from Indiana University of PA. I had a GPA of 3.8 and applied to dental schools. Unfortunately, I did not gain acceptance. So I decided to apply for hygiene schools for the Fall of 2016. I was accepted to University of Pittsburgh's Dental Hygiene program, where I currently attend. I will be receiving my associates degree in dental hygiene, which is the same degree that I would receive at a community college or technical school. Just in limbo about what I should do. Should I stick out two years at Pitt and pile $60,000 onto my student loans, or should I transfer into a technical school and save money but I won't have the big Pitt name.
Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't care where my hygienist or dentist or doctor went. I just want them to do good work.

Reactions: 6 users
Lol since when was the "Indiana" University in Pennsylvanis? Do you know that they are two different states hon?

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol since when was the "Indiana" University in Pennsylvanis? Do you know that they are two different states hon?
Pennsylvania has a city called Indiana... where the school is

Reactions: 2 users
I graduated with my bachelors of science in 2015 from Indiana University of PA. I had a GPA of 3.8 and applied to dental schools. Unfortunately, I did not gain acceptance. So I decided to apply for hygiene schools for the Fall of 2016. I was accepted to University of Pittsburgh's Dental Hygiene program, where I currently attend. I will be receiving my associates degree in dental hygiene, which is the same degree that I would receive at a community college or technical school. Just in limbo about what I should do. Should I stick out two years at Pitt and pile $60,000 onto my student loans, or should I transfer into a technical school and save money but I won't have the big Pitt name.
Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.
Do yourself a favor - go to community college. Also, why did you give up after one year applying to dental school if you don't mind my asking?

Reactions: 1 users
If you're willing to do a gap year and reapply to cheaper DH programs then yeah. The cost will be a big difference and any DH program will prepare you the same. However, if you feel dental school is your true passion and goal then I would recommend to invest all your time and efforts to shadow, volunteer (dental and non-dental related), gain work experience and get high DAT scores if your previous scores were not that great. Feel free to PM for more questions and advice.

You have an amazing gpa. But going to a community college as a DH is perfectly fine, it's the work that you do that counts.

Reactions: 2 users
What was your DAT score? There's no reason to pile up $60,000 for this if your ultimate goal is dental school. Most people I know had to apply more than once to get where they wanted to go--in any profession. If you're adamant on being a dental hygienist in the meantime, then most of us would advise a more reasonable cost for the degree. In the end, you get licensed and experience--that's all that matters.

Reactions: 1 user
Why not re-apply to dental school? Don't give up if you didn't get in the first time around!

Lol what a funny school name it has

Well, Indiana is a town in Pennsylvania. I am well aware that there is also a state of Indiana. Here is a link to IUP's webpage...http://www.iup.edu

You have a great GPA. If your DAT was low, you could've studied to take it again! As for DH, just find the best financial option in my opinion.

If you're willing to do a gap year and reapply to cheaper DH programs then yeah. The cost will be a big difference and any DH program will prepare you the same. However, if you feel dental school is your true passion and goal then I would recommend to invest all your time and efforts to shadow, volunteer (dental and non-dental related), gain work experience and get high DAT scores if your previous scores were not that great. Feel free to PM for more questions and advice.

First of all, thank you for your advice. I have struggled with making decisions about my future, ever since my denial to dental school.
My DAT was low, I took it twice and my best score being 17. Looking back, I would not have taken my second so soon but I followed the advice of my grandfather.
I would love to take it again, but I just don't want to risk having to take another year off of school and the third attempt being my last, I want to make sure I am ready. That is why I went the hygiene route, so I could be working while studying for the DAT and gain more experience. Dental schools I applied for told me that I had the GPA but my DAT was low (obviously).
I am enrolled in Pitt's program now, like I said, but near my hometown there is a Hygiene school called Fortis. I just never imagined myself going to anything but the "best" and that is what Pitt has told me they are. I am slowly starting to get it in my crazy brain that I'll get the same degree, I'm just worried I'm compromising my job opportunities by not having the Pitt name. Fortis accepted me for this term, and I wouldn't have to begin until Novemeber due to the amount of transfer courses they accepted from my undergrad. Thing is, I need to make a decision to leave Pitt for Fortis or stay at Pitt by Wednesday. I have talked to every dentist and hygienist I know, I just have a hard time accepting the Fortis name because of what I expected for myself but finically Fortis makes the most sense.

Do yourself a favor - go to community college. Also, why did you give up after one year applying to dental school if you don't mind my asking?
My DAT was low, I took it twice and my best score being 17. Looking back, I would not have taken my second so soon but I followed the advice of my grandfather.
I would love to take it again, but I just don't want to risk having to take another year off of school and the third attempt being my last, I want to make sure I am ready. That is why I went the hygiene route, so I could be working while studying for the DAT and gain more experience. Dental schools I applied for told me that I had the GPA but my DAT was low (obviously).
I am enrolled in Pitt's program now, like I said, but near my hometown there is a Hygiene school called Fortis. I just never imagined myself going to anything but the "best" and that is what Pitt has told me they are. I am slowly starting to get it in my crazy brain that I'll get the same degree, I'm just worried I'm compromising my job opportunities by not having the Pitt name. Fortis accepted me for this term, and I wouldn't have to begin until Novemeber due to the amount of transfer courses they accepted from my undergrad. Thing is, I need to make a decision to leave Pitt for Fortis or stay at Pitt by Wednesday. I have talked to every dentist and hygienist I know, I just have a hard time accepting the Fortis name because of what I expected for myself but finically Fortis makes the most sense.

Girl, you gotta go look at the DAT section of this forum, listen to everyone's advice, kill the DAT, and apply again. A 3.8 isn't something anyone takes lightly.

Dentists ARE doctors :rage::mad:
As are professors and podiatrists and physical therapists. Dude, I want to be a dentist and fully intend to call myself Doctor. I'm pretty sure the above was understood to indicate physicians but ok. =D

First of all, thank you for your advice. I have struggled with making decisions about my future, ever since my denial to dental school.
I guess that explains it. I understand the risk of taking a year off and not being able to do much else. Hey you got a forum of nutcases here who will give you so much DAT advice your head will explode so Ik you'll be ready the next time :). A high GPA shows a good work ethic so if you have the right materials and right strategy you'd definitely be able to kill it!

I have many friends who've graduated from expensive or cheaper DH program. They all have the same experience and earn closely the same. The "real" learning they say is when you start practicing in the work field. Dentist don't care where they graduated from but look for competent and diligent hygienists. In CA, private programs are about 60 to 100K (ex. USC or UOP) while the community college DH programs are about 10K. I think you'll be happier to pay off 10K within a year and enjoy a nice vacation in the process :D.

I'm currently in the dental app cycle and I took the DATs four times and scored the same (-_-). Most schools said it was fine after some phone calls and research. Don't be me and take it four times lol but take it when you're ready. Look at DAT breakdowns on this forum and find what works for you. Again, more than happy to give suggestions or wisdom. I was going through the process thinking about DH too. Good luck on your endeavors.