advice needed for postbacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mbell2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey gang,

i graduated from school with a biology major 3 years and i've been working since. well, im going back to school, specifically cal state long beach and applied as a second bachelor student. The thing is, I'm not planning to get the second degree. I just need to be enrolled as a full-time student, so i can take some upper division biology classes while getting financial aid. So do you guys think it's not a good idea that i don't finish it before i get into dental school? How do you think the admissions committee will feel if i withdraw from csulb prior to applying. I hope you guys can give me some input. thanks alot.

Members don't see this ad.

mbell2 said:
hey gang,

i graduated from school with a biology major 3 years and i've been working since. well, im going back to school, specifically cal state long beach and applied as a second bachelor student. The thing is, I'm not planning to get the second degree. I just need to be enrolled as a full-time student, so i can take some upper division biology classes while getting financial aid. So do you guys think it's not a good idea that i don't finish it before i get into dental school? How do you think the admissions committee will feel if i withdraw from csulb prior to applying. I hope you guys can give me some input. thanks alot.

I actually graduated from CSULB, did a post-bacc at UCLA School of Dentistry, then was accepted to University of the Pacific. The post-bacc did help, it showed that I was determined to get in. Also, I worked for a dental company for a year after the post-bacc while applying. That helped as well. Decent GPA, good DAT's (in the 19's to 20's), and alot of persistance will get you in. Hope that helps. I'm a first year at UOP currently, and LOVE IT!!! It's the most work I've ever done in my life, but it's all worth it. DO NOT GIVE UP!!!!!! YOU WILL MAKE IT!!!

mbell2 said:
hey gang,

No big deal. I did the same thing with UT-Austin. I just took classes as a degree seeker so that I could register early and get the classes I needed. In the end, I changed my status to non-degree seeker so that there wouldn't be any confusion on my transcripts. Nobody cares if you don't finish, especially since you have a bachelors.