Advice needed please: Failed Step 1 + chances to match 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dbsksweetz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I would love to get some advice in regards to matching into neurology in this years upcoming cycle. I failed Step 1 and had a retake score of 206. I had to take time off to restudy for Step 1 + personal family issues, so it made me off-cycle and graduating in December this year instead of back in May. My step 2 CK was a 246. I have average grades in my med school class.

What are my chances to match into a good program? I am worried because of the programs that automatically filter out Step 1 first attempt failures. Is there a list of schools that automatically filter?

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

You should do some research and electives to strengthen your CV. Matching into a good program might not be easy without them. If you are from a top US med school and have a believable story for step 1 , u might make it ! good luck

1) Change your status from pre-med to med student.

2) I would advise taking some time off as well to get some research under your belt and do some rotations w/ neurologists who can write glowing letters of recommendation on your behalf.

3) You'll probably match if you are a US grad, but being realistic, it will be very difficult for you to get into one of those "brand name" programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a friend this cycle whom was a MD, PhD student who got between 210 and 215 on step 1 and had a hard time getting interviews at good places.
I remember our program director gave us a talk before we applied and said that it is common for programs to use 220 as a cutoff.
Remember for neurology the average Step 1 score is around 230, so given this it is probably unlikely you will get into top tier or name brand program.
I would not rule out a university program, but I would also have realistic goals when applying.

Just to put it out there, my friend matched last year after failing and getting a similar low score. It wasn't a top program, but it was an academic program. He was also a US MD