advice needed re: shadowing vs. research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

takeonme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I know it is recommended that we shadow but how much shadowing would be adequate? I just began shadowing a physician, but I am limited in time (work full-time night shift, school mon-thurs) because of my schedule. This physician also has a 3rd year DO student so it does get a bit difficult and crowded in the clinic. Not to mention, I am taken aback by how little I can do since I work as an RN. What would be more beneficial for my circumstances: shadowing or research? I have been working as an RN for 2.5 years. My other ECs include volunteering at an assisted living facility for 5 years and some dabbling in research since this summer. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

i have no idea what is recommended, but i'll tell you what seemed to be "adequate" in my case. i shadowed one doc about half-day once per week for 10 or so weeks, and then asked him to write me a letter. i shadowed another doc for a half-day once each month for about six months and then asked her to write me a letter. that was essentially all my real shadowing experience.

it depends why you're doing it. are you doing it to get a letter? or just so that you can have (and list) the experience?

being an RN might be a bonus on your application, but don't assume that it means you get away without doing all the other stuff. it will show you are serious if you still go through the normal steps.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your response. I'm doing it for the experience, or as you said the "normal steps." Maybe a letter, but I'm still feeling it out. I was mostly worried that it wouldn't be sufficient enough to count. Your response was very helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think just enough shadowing hours to know what you'll be getting yourself into is sufficient. Before submitting my primary application to AMCAS, I had 40-ish shadowing hours. After that, I was able to shadow primary care doctors and brought this new activity up on my secondaries and during my interview. Take note of your favorite and worst patient encounters, and talk with the doctors (ask what are the problems in medicine...helpful when it comes time for interviews).

If I were you, I would focus on doing research. Although it's not required, many MD schools look favorably on this. It'd be good to be familiar with research and to be able to describe eloquently what you did and learned. Doing research will give you a leg up in the competitive med school admission process.

I think just enough shadowing hours to know what you'll be getting yourself into is sufficient. Before submitting my primary application to AMCAS, I had 40-ish shadowing hours. After that, I was able to shadow primary care doctors and brought this new activity up on my secondaries and during my interview. Take note of your favorite and worst patient encounters, and talk with the doctors (ask what are the problems in medicine...helpful when it comes time for interviews).

If I were you, I would focus on doing research. Although it's not required, many MD schools look favorably on this. It'd be good to be familiar with research and to be able to describe eloquently what you did and learned. Doing research will give you a leg up in the competitive med school admission process.

Great. Thank you! It seems like my shadowing hours will probably end up being ~40-ish prior to applying. Definitely will talk to the dr I am shadowing about. There's been a few times where he's introduced me and said "we'll see if we can change takeonme's mind [about applying to med schools]" in a joking way. o_O But based on what I've seen from work and shadowing... I can't wait. :soexcited:Research is interesting and I was treading between which one I should focus a little more on with the type of schedule I have. Thanks for your input!

Hehe sounds like you are shadowing a fun doctor. Good luck. I "know" so many of the doctors around here that when/if I need to shadow I don't want to have to choose between the ones that recognize me lol. I will be shadowing strangers.

U WA requires > 40 hrs, but I think anywhere from 10-40 would suffice for most med schools.

Hello, I know it is recommended that we shadow but how much shadowing would be adequate? I just began shadowing a physician, but I am limited in time (work full-time night shift, school mon-thurs) because of my schedule. This physician also has a 3rd year DO student so it does get a bit difficult and crowded in the clinic. Not to mention, I am taken aback by how little I can do since I work as an RN. What would be more beneficial for my circumstances: shadowing or research? I have been working as an RN for 2.5 years. My other ECs include volunteering at an assisted living facility for 5 years and some dabbling in research since this summer. Thank you in advance.

U WA requires > 40 hrs, but I think anywhere from 10-40 would suffice for most med schools.

thanks Goro. I was worried that if I did get <40 hrs or so, it'd raise eyebrows and seem insignificant. I am understanding now that its really the experience you gain from it.

Excellent thread, @takeonme- jumping in on it to ask my own question!

Is there a certain type of research that would be preferable? For example, I'm really interested in the studies a college on my campus has done with the aging populations of various ethnic populations. However, should I be looking for more traditional research experience instead (wet beach, etc)?

Thanks all for sharing the info. Very Useful , this advice will come in handy.