Advice needed! To apply or not to apply...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skeehcsif

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all - i've just joined this forum after lurking for a month or so -- I need some very important advice regarding my future and who better to ask than all you fine people(who may know more about applying than the admissions committee themselves)

so here's the breakdown:
i've been planning on applying to vet school for the current application cycle... but i've been reading through all these threads and i'm doubting myself VERY much.. and i DO have much reason to doubt myself as my stats are not up to par with most of the posters here..here they are:

21 yrs old, NY resident, going to be Senior in college
Cum GPA: 3.17
Last 45 hours GPA: 3.33
GRE: 720Q, 650V, 4.5A
Vet Experience: 100 hours SA clinic
Animal Experience: 300 hours zoo/aquarium volunteer
50 hours zoo/wildlife camp
LOR: vet, advisor, college soccer coach (basically the only people who know me well enough to write me a decent LOR)
Extracurrics: service fraternity, habitat for humanity, varsity soccer, filipino association..

I was planning on applying to Kansas, Mississippi, Iowa, and Illinois

SOooo, what i would like to know is: should i take a risk and apply now(would also like to share that i am short on money), or should i wait a year and get more experience, get better LOR's, and up my GPA in my last year of school? Any advice is appreciated and don't worry if you think you may be crushing my dreams or anything... Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, congrats on your first post! When I first stepped into the application pool I was feeling the same way you feel. I decided to apply the summer after I graduated from undergrad because I didn't think I had enough experience, I didn't want to deal with applying while I was working/taking classes/volunteering, and I really thought I needed a year off before I started 4 more years of school. For me, it was a good decision. I applied and it was much more work than I thought it would be (definitely a marathon, not a sprint).

However, I think it depends on what you have holding you back from applying. If you apply, you have a chance to get in. If you don't apply, you don't have a chance. So what's the harm in applying? If you don't get in your first try, then you have a year off (which is what you are thinking about doing anyway). What you DO have to lose is money and time and a lot of stress.

If you have the time and don't mind spending the money, I'd say go ahead and apply. To be honest, you do have a chance - esp at the schools you want to apply to. Your chances would be better if you waited, but most people's would. But I wouldn't totally count yourself out just yet. Your GRE somewhat balances out your GPA. The people on this site are usually pretty hardcore prevets from what I've realized. You have experience (not a ton, but it's diverse), extracurriculars (they love college athletes), and a great GRE score. I think your LORs seem great, just make sure they fit the requirements of the schools you're applying to. Your GPA is low, but that's not everything and you do still have a year to bring it up. You also can get a lot of hours in before apps are due, so you can get experience up as well. And write a kickass PS.

Sorry my post is so long - feel free to PM me if you have any more questions. I hope I helped at least a little!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there, skeehcsif.

I applied for the first time after I graduated, as well. However, I didn't plan on getting an interview on my first try. I didn't think that I had it enough together to be considered. Apparently, I was wrong, because I got waitlisted. Illinois, for one, looks at the quality of the experience, instead of the quantitiy. So, you have a real shot, right now, with those stats. I'd try for LA vet experience, if I were you, though.

I wish I had applied sooner, because I would have been more aware of what was going on during the process. There is only so much that you can gleen from this forum. No one can describe the application cycle the way that you will experience it. Unfortunately, this is your trip to make on your own. We're all on the same road, but we're not in the same car.

If you go into it with an attitude that you'll do your best on the app and not expect much, you may be surprised what you'll get.

Also... Don't be discouraged by the scary stats floating around here. There are great people who have made it into vet school with lower gpas. That's how they get the averages. ;)

Your GPA and GRE are so very close to mine that it's just a little bit creepy. :p

(see my thread about my postmortem at Davis for my stats)

Like Truth, I didn't expect to get an interview this year. I planned on applying, getting rejected off the bat and doing the exit interview to figure out my chances if I wanted to reapply. Instead I got an interview and though I didn't get in, I made a valuable contact at the interview and I'm going to be doing a Masters degree under her that is totally relevant to my career goals and will undoubtedly help me get in the next time I apply (next summer, haha).

I think that if you clearly express your goals, write a coherent personal statement (one of my problems!) and relate what experience you do have to your desire to study vet med that you will have a shot. I would continue to accumulate experience and keep my grades up during the upcoming year if I were you, though, just in case you don't get in on this try. Good luck, either way. :)

Most of my points have already been stated but for whats is worth...

I totally agree with the you dont know if you dont try mentality. If money is an issue definately apply to at least 2 schools. Your IS if you have one and then at least one more (ie your first choice school if that is different from your IS). If you dont get accepted, you can compare the advice between the two and if you hear repeating issues then you know exactly what you need to improve on. Since not every school focuses on the same criteria, you may get some good feedback about which school you are more competitive at which may cause you to rethink your choices all together for round 2.

2. Experience, experience, experience. Never can have to much. Something I never knew about until SDN is to continuing updating your schools after you submit your application in October with your experiences and hours. Since some dont start the file review process until December or January you could concievably rack up quite a bit more hours to plump up your stats.

Good luck and welcome.

wow, thanks everyone! all this advice has helped a lot... i believe i WILL be applying for this cycle... and i feel a bit better about everything thanks to all of you.. and i'll be sure to let you all know how the process goes!