Advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thegreatjaspy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.28 cgpa
3.3 sgpa
MCAT 26 (9/9/8)
My Mcat is lower than any practice test I took and I will very retaking. My question is about when to submit. I submitted my application to aacomas and 1 school and should be verified soon, should I submit to the other schools I want now and just tell them I have a planned retake or wait till that score comes back?

Members don't see this ad.

You're fine right now for most schools, even mine. Just apply now and update with the new and hopefully better score.

3.28 cgpa
3.3 sgpa
MCAT 26 (9/9/8)
My Mcat is lower than any practice test I took and I will very retaking. My question is about when to submit. I submitted my application to aacomas and 1 school and should be verified soon, should I submit to the other schools I want now and just tell them I have a planned retake or wait till that score comes back?

Reactions: 1 user
You're fine right now for most schools, even mine. Just apply now and update with the new and hopefully better score.
That's encouraging, I really thought I needed to be 27+ with my gpa. My practice score average was 29.5. Will I get secondaries if I say that I have a new Mcat planned or will I be set aside?

Members don't see this ad :)

Would you recommend the OP to retake an MCAT score of 26? I would worry about retaking a 9/9/8 and going down.

From what I've seen retaking a decently strong MCAT is risky. A lot of people will say anything above a 26 leave it alone (assuming the GPAs are fine) and anything less than a 26 you may want to retake (assuming the GPAs not crazy high). OP you are right there in the middle, however I would not retake that 26 because you will more than likely get some love as you are.

You are missing a heavy component of the application; what about those ECs?! :p

From what I've seen retaking a decently strong MCAT is risky. A lot of people will say anything above a 26 leave it alone (assuming the GPAs are fine) and anything less than a 26 you may want to retake (assuming the GPAs not crazy high). OP you are right there in the middle, however I would not retake that 26 because you will more than likely get some love as you are.

Sounds like blackjack. lol.

Thanks so much for the replies everyone, I set a goal of 27 for myself and I know a 30+ is attainable for me, which is why I am so disappointed with the 26. Here is a little more detailed breakdown....
3.28 cGPA
3.3 sGPA
Bio major, religious studies minor
strong upward trend, 1 retake
graduated with distinction in biology
2.5 years stem cell research (Parkinson's disease)
1 national 2 local research conference poster presentations
Research funded by Howard Hughes Medical Institute grant
4 years NCAA Varsity softball, 3 year team captain
2 Medical service trips abroad (1 week each)
1 volunteer trip to Uganda (1 month)
100+ hours ER volunteer
50+ hours shadowing (DO and MD)
Many strong letters of rec, including a DO

My current thought process is that I would rather spend the next 6 weeks studying to improve the 26 (which I am confident I can do since it is lower than any of my practice scores) than be sweating bullets the next year because I am applying with mediocre GPA and MCAT, but I do appreciate all the input. I plan on applying to 20-25 schools, but Touro NV is #1 strictly based on location. My goal is to get in somewhere, I do not have a dream school, just a dream of being a DO and all schools have the same net result. Here is my list as it stands now, I am having trouble eliminating schools because I keep thinking "What if they are the 1 school that wants me?" And even though some are not in ideal locations I would move to Antarctica if I had to.

Applied to get application verified
· Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine

Plan to apply
· Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine
· A.T. Still University of Health Sciences School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona
· Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine
· Liberty University College of Osteopathic Medicine
· Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine
· Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine
· Touro University – California
· Touro University – Nevada
· University of Pikeville - Kentucky College of Osteopathic Medicine
· Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine - Auburn Campus
· Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine - Carolinas Campus
· Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine - Virginia Campus
· West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine
· Western University of Health Sciences
· William Carey University
· Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine

Undecided (looking for input)
· A.T. Still University of Health Sciences Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine
· Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University
· Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences College of Osteopathic Medicine
· Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine
· Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine
· Georgia Campus Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
· Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
· Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine Bradenton Campus
· Lincoln Memorial University DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine
· New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine
· Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine
· Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine
· Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine - New York
· University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine

I don't think it's necessary.

Would you recommend the OP to retake an MCAT score of 26? I would worry about retaking a 9/9/8 and going down.

oh btw I am a California resident currently living in nevada, which is why I am applying to CA schools despite a lower mcat

Thanks so much for the replies everyone, I set a goal of 27 for myself and I know a 30+ is attainable for me, which is why I am so disappointed with the 26. Here is a little more detailed breakdown....
3.28 cGPA
3.3 sGPA
Bio major, religious studies minor
strong upward trend, 1 retake
graduated with distinction in biology
2.5 years stem cell research (Parkinson's disease)
1 national 2 local research conference poster presentations
Research funded by Howard Hughes Medical Institute grant

4 years NCAA Varsity softball, 3 year team captain
2 Medical service trips abroad (1 week each)
1 volunteer trip to Uganda (1 month)
100+ hours ER volunteer
50+ hours shadowing (DO and MD)
Many strong letters of rec, including a DO

My current thought process is that I would rather spend the next 6 weeks studying to improve the 26 (which I am confident I can do since it is lower than any of my practice scores) than be sweating bullets the next year because I am applying with mediocre GPA and MCAT, but I do appreciate all the input. I plan on applying to 20-25 schools, but Touro NV is #1 strictly based on location. My goal is to get in somewhere, I do not have a dream school, just a dream of being a DO and all schools have the same net result. Here is my list as it stands now, I am having trouble eliminating schools because I keep thinking "What if they are the 1 school that wants me?" And even though some are not in ideal locations I would move to Antarctica if I had to.

If you feel confident you can do better, go for it. I had a range of 26-30 on my practice tests and I've hear that if your score is within that range then the likelihood of it going up is pretty low (but that just may be a bunch of BS haha).

Also huge props on your HHI award and research! That is amazing!

More or less your gpa + mcat combo isn't really amazing. So apply very broadly.

Members don't see this ad :)
That'w how I feel, I don't want to leave things to chance, I'd rather hit the books and get this MCAT up.

Good luck, though honestly these days the mcat is more and more and more of a crapshoot that has more to do with whether the gods have rolled the dice in your favor. So you know, consider your options.

With your numbers do not expect California to show you any love, doesn't matter that you are a resident there.
I figure that'll be the case, I don't have my heart set on either of those schools but my family would be upset if I didn't at least try to come home.

Good luck, though honestly these days the mcat is more and more and more of a crapshoot that has more to do with whether the gods have rolled the dice in your favor. So you know, consider your options.
Let's say I do worse, am I required to update my score and let the schools know?

Thought so, just making sure.

I'm so torn. I planned on retaking below a 27 but now people are scaring me into thinking I could do worse. But currently I feel very average to just below average.

Thought so, just making sure.

I'm so torn. I planned on retaking below a 27 but now people are scaring me into thinking I could do worse. But currently I feel very average to just below average.

Just apply and do it now before it gets too late in the application cycle. Don't fiddle with the idea of taking the mcat again unless you're absolutely ready for it, to me it seems like you are not ready. You were given some pretty good advice, you have good ec's and stats, just start on your apps.

Just apply and do it now before it gets too late in the application cycle. Don't fiddle with the idea of taking the mcat again unless you're absolutely ready for it, to me it seems like you are not ready. You were given some pretty good advice, you have good ec's and stats, just start on your apps.
My application is in and should be verified by the end of the week. I am already signed up for another Mcat and plan on starting to study tomorrow, the idea of not retaking didn't cross my mind until this thread.

My application is in and should be verified by the end of the week. I am already signed up for another Mcat and plan on starting to study tomorrow, the idea of not retaking didn't cross my mind until this thread.

Most of the competitive D.O. schools seem to have an average MCAT of 28, but then again that is just the median, i believe you should be fine with a 26. Goro backed you up on that as well. If you do decide to retake the MCAT you're going to have to inform the schools you're applying to with your updated score, that could be a good or bad thing depending on what you get on the MCAT. Whatever you decide to do, good luck. Hope you get into your top choice.

Hey GreatJaspy, Im in the same boat as you. cGPA 3.5, sGPA about 3.2, I took the MCAT last year and got a 26. After weeks of more studying, I went into the next MCAT more confident, but scored a 26 again. (Minus 1 from BS, Plus 1 to BS).

I was planning on retaking it in July, but Ive been told my my advisors that I am still competitive. Im personally nervous, but Im working on submitting a strong app, PS, and EC's.

When did you submit your Primary btw? And did you submit an AMCAS? What schools are you looking at as a decent bet with a 26?

Hey GreatJaspy, Im in the same boat as you. cGPA 3.5, sGPA about 3.2, I took the MCAT last year and got a 26. After weeks of more studying, I went into the next MCAT more confident, but scored a 26 again. (Minus 1 from BS, Plus 1 to BS).

I was planning on retaking it in July, but Ive been told my my advisors that I am still competitive. Im personally nervous, but Im working on submitting a strong app, PS, and EC's.

When did you submit your Primary btw? And did you submit an AMCAS? What schools are you looking at as a decent bet with a 26?
Your cgpa is 0.2 higher than mine, so you're in better shape. I submitted my primary on June 14 and have been following the verification thread and it looks like I should get verified soon. I sincerely want to be a DO, not an MD, so no acmas for me. I don't consider any school a shoe in for anyone so I don't really know what schools I'd be banking on in my current situation. I have a strong app otherwise and I'm actually really proud of my personal statement, but I think for my own peace of mind I have to take the Mcat one more time.

Niiiice. You're in excellent shape as well because Im planning on submitting my primary by the end of this week. Little late :0
Im looking to apply to about 20+ schools- crossing fingers to get into at least 1

Application got verified so it was time to add more schools...
recap 3.28/3.3/26 (retaking)

These are the schools I did NOT apply to, should I add any of them (ie are any of these in my "sweet spot")
· A.T. Still University of Health Sciences Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine
· Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine
· Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine
· Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine Bradenton Campus
· Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine
· Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine
· University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine
· Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
· Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University
· Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine
· Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine - New York
· Touro University – California
· New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine
· University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine

Last edited:
Plenty of people get into UNECOM with your stats, but you'd have to be okay with 72 inches of snow per year. LECOM-B is also totally viable.

Plenty of people get into UNECOM with your stats, but you'd have to be okay with 72 inches of snow per year. LECOM-B is also totally viable.
I was under the impression UNECOM had significant regional bias?

I was under the impression UNECOM had significant regional bias?
Not really. It's more that people from outside the region don't apply much and even when accepted often choose to go places closer to home than rural Maine. I interviewed with people from as far away as California and Canada though.

If you do worse, can't you just not send it in? Or do they know you've retaken it?

retook and got a 30 (9,11,10) so excited! my 26 had already gotten me 2 interviews so I am excited to see how things pan out with a 30 :)

Congrats!!!
I'm in a bit of the same boat (slightly higher GPA by .1 and is on an upward trend) but have not yet taken the MCAT. I will be applying for both MD and DO. Any suggestions?