Advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Atlgirl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a dilemma /questions, and hoping someone has been in this situation before.

- Are you a non-traditional student who left their well paying job and took a lower paying job so you could get all your prerequisites done? If so, what types of jobs did you apply to? My background is in doing analytical type of work. I just can't find none 9am to 5 pm jobs to apply to.
I have just 2 prerequisite classes left. However the classes are scheduled in the day time hence my reason for looking for a non 9 to 5 job. I have the option of relocating to another state for a well paying job but I'll have to pay out of state tuition for the 2 classes left and possibly delay applying to med school by a year. I recently got laid off hence the option to relocate.

What would you do, find a lower paying job, finish the few classes left, study for the MCAT and apply next year or relocate, take the better paying job and delay med school application by a year or two?

I have current living expenses and cannot go without working although my expenses are not that high. I feel strongly about looking for a job that would have a flexible schedule but have no idea where to start looking. Any ideas? I am in GA.

-

Members don't see this ad.

I'm all for the lower paying job while you complete your prereqs faster. Concentrate on your long term goals.

Many people wait tables etc on their path to becoming a successful physician.

I'm all for the lower paying job while you complete your prereqs faster. Concentrate on your long term goals.

Many people wait tables etc on their path to becoming a successful physician.

Thanks. I guess that's the way to go.

I also thought of getting a loan just so I could do the classes in one semester or 2 (if i retake a few classes) and to also cover for however long it will take to get a flexible job. Does anyone know if it's possible to get a loan for a do- it -yourself post bac and defer payment? I can't get federal aid because I am not in a formal graduate program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above poster. If you're in a position where you are looking, focus on the big goal: med school to become a physician. If I hadn't just started a great and flexible FT job, I'd be going back to school FT and finding a side job a lower-paying flexible job. Take advantage! ;) good luck

I will definitely take the flexible job route. The hard part is looking. I volunteer at a local hospital and will check out the positions and hopefully find something soon.

You can always opt to follow my (recent) past path: Left my 142K a year job COLD TURKEY and now going to school full time. Figured I might as well get used to it....lol

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I came down to finding a flexible job and giving up the higher pay. I was a little scared but figured I should give it my best shot and hopefully everything works out great. Glad to know someone else has gone or is going through this. 142K is a huge sacrifice but it'll pay off eventually. I get to take the classes while giving up a few things. Thanks for your input guys, definitely very helpful.

Reactions: 1 user