Advice Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mkc13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an undergraduate student receiving a BA in Speech Pathology and a minor in Spanish this may 2015. I am applying to several post bacc pre med programs across the country however I only have a 3.3 GPA ( possibly a 3.4 or 3.5 by the end of this semester)

I also received a C one of my statistics courses.

Most programs say a minimum 3.0 GPA but I have heard most successful applicants have over a 3.5.

Is it worth me applying/paying for all of these schools? Do I stand as a competitive applicant?

Very interested in Georgetown, NYU, UVA, Johns Hopkins, and Colombia.

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hrmm, what other strengths do you have? Do you have medical volunteer experience? Where did you receive your undergraduate degree? With just the information provided (3.3 GPA, BA in Speech Pathology) you would not be a competitive applicant.

To be honest your GPA is going to be a huge weakness, especially at Hopkins, Columbia and UVA. These programs are very popular and receive thousands of applications, so they expect that a students transcript will be outstanding (3.5+). Further, they are going to look at the rigor/difficulty of your chosen major. If you do get into a program you will have to work very hard to make sure that your undergrad GPA does not also effect your medical school applications.

That being said, if you really want to pursue a career in medicine, there are ways around your predicament. First, you may want to look at other less competitive programs like Drexel, Temple, Lincoln Mem U, etc. . Second, a lot of these programs weigh medical experience almost as much as your academic record so if you have a strong medical resume they hold on to your application. Third, you can always take your reqs at a university outside of a formal program.

Good Luck,

I volunteered this summer at New York Presbyterian Hospital in NYC, I currently volunteer in Baltimore Maryland at place called Healthcare for the Homeless and will hopefully be volunteering this spring at Johns Hopkins. I am taking extra biology courses this fall and upcoming spring as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hrmm, what other strengths do you have? Do you have medical volunteer experience? Where did you receive your undergraduate degree? With just the information provided (3.3 GPA, BA in Speech Pathology) you would not be a competitive applicant.

To be honest your GPA is going to be a huge weakness, especially at Hopkins, Columbia and UVA. These programs are very popular and receive thousands of applications, so they expect that a students transcript will be outstanding (3.5+). Further, they are going to look at the rigor/difficulty of your chosen major. If you do get into a program you will have to work very hard to make sure that your undergrad GPA does not also effect your medical school applications.

That being said, if you really want to pursue a career in medicine, there are ways around your predicament. First, you may want to look at other less competitive programs like Drexel, Temple, Lincoln Mem U, etc. . Second, a lot of these programs weigh medical experience almost as much as your academic record so if you have a strong medical resume they hold on to your application. Third, you can always take your reqs at a university outside of a formal program.

Good Luck,

How does a bachelors in Speech Pathology make someone less competitive?

How does a bachelors in Speech Pathology make someone less competitive?
It doesn't.

A low GPA in a non-hard-science major is not confidence-inspiring to a competitive structured premed postbac program. Such programs are looking for ~4.0 non-hard-science-major students who will predictably thrive once they hit the hard science classes, so that their program results stay impressive and their linkage agreements are kept intact. A sub-3.5 student is not who these programs are looking for.

A high GPA (say, 3.7+) in speech pathology would be as confidence-inspiring as a 3.7+ in any other major to a competitive structured premed postbac program.

Last edited: