Advice Needed!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoForG

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, since I haven't heard anything so far, I guess I will have to re-apply in the future. But I really need your advice on when to apply.
My status: Computer Science Master (graduating in May) at SUNY Stony Brook
GPA: 3.75 for undergrad, 3.57 for master
MCATs: 26(VR 6, PS 12, BS 8) in 2013, 29(VR 7, PS 11, BS 11) in 2014
Vice President for a club and President for the same club in the following year
No clinical exposure (volunteer or shadowing)

Applied schools:
Central Michigan University College of Medicine (only primary)
USF Health Morsani College of Medicine (only primary)
Wayne State University School of Medicine (only primary)
Florida State University (only primary)
Morehouse School of Medicine (only primary)
Rutgers New Jersey Medical School (only primary)

Cooper Medical School of Rowan University (both primary and secondary)
Drexel University College of Medicine (both primary and secondary)
FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine (both primary and secondary)
New York Medical College (both primary and secondary)
Stony Brook University School of Medicine (both primary and secondary)
University of South Carolina School of Medicine, Greenville (both primary and secondary)

I received no IIs from any of these school. My guess is that I submitted both primary and secondary at the end of the cycle, like on the day of the deadline. I am really struggling wether I should apply it in the following cycle or later, or should I even re-apply. I am also going to volunteer at the hospital in my school this semester. Your advice is much much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

State of residence?

The two below avg. MCAT are what are sinking you for MD schools. It appears that you have plateaued. I would not recommend a retake unless you seriously fix your VR deficit. Are you ESL?
Did you know that Cent MI accepted only 5 people from out of state for their class of 64? Rutgers and USC are also very in-state favoring.

I don't think that you're competitive for MD school, but you are fine for all DO schools, except maybe AZCOM.

I suspect that you're not a URM. Have you don't your homework? Morehouse is a HBC.

Hello everyone, since I haven't heard anything so far, I guess I will have to re-apply in the future. But I really need your advice on when to apply.
My status: Computer Science Master (graduating in May) at SUNY Stony Brook
GPA: 3.75 for undergrad, 3.57 for master
MCATs: 26(VR 6, PS 12, BS 8) in 2013, 29(VR 7, PS 11, BS 11) in 2014
Vice President for a club and President for the same club in the following year
No clinical exposure (volunteer or shadowing)

Applied schools:
Central Michigan University College of Medicine (only primary)
USF Health Morsani College of Medicine (only primary)
Wayne State University School of Medicine (only primary)
Florida State University (only primary)
Morehouse School of Medicine (only primary)
Rutgers New Jersey Medical School (only primary)

Cooper Medical School of Rowan University (both primary and secondary)
Drexel University College of Medicine (both primary and secondary)
FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine (both primary and secondary)
New York Medical College (both primary and secondary)
Stony Brook University School of Medicine (both primary and secondary)
University of South Carolina School of Medicine, Greenville (both primary and secondary)

I received no IIs from any of these school. My guess is that I submitted both primary and secondary at the end of the cycle, like on the day of the deadline. I am really struggling wether I should apply it in the following cycle or later, or should I even re-apply. I am also going to volunteer at the hospital in my school this semester. Your advice is much much appreciated.

State of residence?

The two below avg. MCAT are what are sinking you for MD schools. It appears that you have plateaued. I would not recommend a retake unless you seriously fix your VR deficit. Are you ESL?
Did you know that Cent MI accepted only 5 people from out of state for their class of 64? Rutgers and USC are also very in-state favoring.

I don't think that you're competitive for MD school, but you are fine for all DO schools, except maybe AZCOM.

I suspect that you're not a URM. Have you don't your homework? Morehouse is a HBC.

Thank you for your reply, Goro.
I didn't do much research on these schools partly because I was overloaded with my courses when I was applying last year. I am a Chinese immigrant with New York residency.

Is that true I need a LOR from a DO in order to apply for DO schools?
And could you recommend DO(and a few MD) schools I should apply with my status?

Members don't see this ad :)
Good time mgt is very important for success in medical school.
I didn't do much research on these schools partly because I was overloaded with my courses when I was applying last year. I am a Chinese immigrant with New York residency.

Not all. Mine's OK with an MD LOR,

You'll have to do some more homework and aim for schools that take only the most recent or best score. Some schools average, but I still think you're OK ofr all DO schools. For MD, start with Albany, NYMC, all other SUNYs. If you have MSAR Online, aim for schools with median stats closest to yours. And pay careful attention to the Acceptance Information pages. Avoid OOS public MD schools, because they favor the home team, and if you're OOS, one has to be above average.

Good time mgt is very important for success in medical school.

Not all. Mine's OK with an MD LOR,

You'll have to do some more homework and aim for schools that take only the most recent or best score. Some schools average, but I still think you're OK ofr all DO schools. For MD, start with Albany, NYMC, all other SUNYs. If you have MSAR Online, aim for schools with median stats closest to yours. And pay careful attention to the Acceptance Information pages. Avoid OOS public MD schools, because they favor the home team, and if you're OOS, one has to be above average.
Thank you!!!
Is there a DO-version of MSAR Online?

A big problem I see is your lack of clinic experience. To make up for any academic deficits in your application you have to have killer ECs and clinical experience. Having no clinical experience is a huge downfall, as it could be used to offset that 7 VR.

Reactions: 1 users
No clinical exposure at all? No shadowing, volunteering....admissions at mostly everywhere are going to be especially critical that you don't know what you are getting yourself into. DO shadow, get a volunteer position at a hospital/hospice/clinic and you would be in a better place

A big problem I see is your lack of clinic experience. To make up for any academic deficits in your application you have to have killer ECs and clinical experience. Having no clinical experience is a huge downfall, as it could be used to offset that 7 VR.

Concur. Sounds like few if any experiences at all.. 2 clubs...

You need to improve your app to be taken more seriously. As others have said, you need clinical exposure, some volunteering, and more careful early selection of schools and better understanding of the admission process. Who were your letters from? Are you a US PR or citizen? Did your family go to college? What's your research experience?

I would highly recommend having your personal statement professionally edited.

With a comp sci background, think about bioinformatics as a possible stepping stone towards medicine.

I think MDs schools could be within reach and DO would also be good.

Last edited: