Advice Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PMEDIC2DOC

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some advice.

I am 28 years old. I am Paramedic and have a BS degree in EMS management. I am looking into going to med school.
Background: I have been a paramedic for almost 10 years. I am married and recently bought a house. In order for me to apply to med school I would have to attend a post bac type program to take the pre reqa (chem, bio, physics).
How feasible is med school at 30-31 years old after post bac?

Members don't see this ad.

After reading this forum for quite some time, I have noticed that there are a decent amount of non trad applicants and that you are capable of attending med school at that age. After I finish my pre-reqs I would be 30-31 as well and it shouldn't be a problem if you are a good candidate.

I need some advice.

I am 28 years old. I am Paramedic and have a BS degree in EMS management. I am looking into going to med school.
Background: I have been a paramedic for almost 10 years. I am married and recently bought a house. In order for me to apply to med school I would have to attend a post bac type program to take the pre reqa (chem, bio, physics).
How feasible is med school at 30-31 years old after post bac?

I'm finishing MS1 and am pushing 40. There are older students than me. Age is not a limiting factor.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess age isn't a factor for me. I am worried about quitting a decent full time job to go back to school with no guarantee that I will be accepted into med school after my pre reqs. And add the fact that my wife and I would most likely have to sell the house.

Remember, there are SEVERAL dimensions the adcoms will use to determine the outcome of matriculation:
1. MCAT/GPA
2. UG Degree / Additional degrees / academic vigor
3. Extra curricular activities/ volunteer / community service
4. Maturity and life experiences (age helps here)
5. Your specific propensity to finish med school and become a Physician
6. What YOU, as a potential candidate, add to the diversity of the matriculating class
7. How well you relate to the school's ideology (research vs practice)

These are in no specific order mind you. Some schools value Military service over others, some are looking for more scientific minded people that more closely aligns with the schools ideology and teaching style. With over 141 (and growing) medical schools in the US, you should be able to find a program that you like and likes you.

Best of luck.

P.S: I'm 46 y/o applying 2016 for 2017 cycle. I've been researching this a long time.