Advice Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Contagi0n

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDNers! Thanks for taking the time to check out my thread! I just have a few questions in regards to strengthening my chances of medical school acceptance. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

My Information/Stats (thus far)
I will be graduating this year with a 3.39 cGPA (calculated with the AMCAS GPA Calculator). Realistically, I am most likely going to be going the D.O. route and plan to utilize their grade replacement policy. I will be retaking three general courses that I have received a C in during my freshman year. Hypothetically, if I receive an A for these classes, I am looking at a 3.49 cGPA (according the the AMCAS GPA Calculator). Additionally, I have received mostly A's with a few B's for the science pre-requisites.

Clinical/Shadowing Experience: 200+ hours volunteering at a hospice in-patient unit, spent 2 weeks on a medical mission trip to Nicaragua, ~50 hours shadowing physicians in various specialties

Volunteering: Various 1-day events that benefitted health-care organizations, have participated in several charity motorcycle rides that benefited different organizations

Work Experience: 3+ years working as a behavioral therapist for children with autism and related disorders.

Leadership: Served as a senior therapist who is responsible for a team of junior therapists and training potential hires as well as parents.

MCAT: Will be taking Sept 1st

STRONG LORs

* I am also an underrepresented minority in health-care (if that makes any difference)

** I do not plan on applying until next year so I have a good amount of time to build my application..

Questions:
1. What would be the best activities for me to take on in order to optimize my chances of getting an acceptance? I've been considering taking on a tutoring position, shadowing D.O.s, and getting involved with research, I am also in the process of organizing my own charity ride to benefit a health-care organization. Any good recommendations for non-medical volunteering?

2. I am slightly worried about my grades that I received for my last semester. My grades/GPA throughout my undergrad have been mostly consistent with a major upward trend only from my freshmen to sophomore year (when I decided to pursue a career in medicine). Other than that I have been receiving a few C's every few semesters (as well as my last). How will schools view this? Overall, I have recieved 6 C's in total, but as mentioned above, I am planning on retaking three of them..

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey SDNers! Thanks for taking the time to check out my thread! I just have a few questions in regards to strengthening my chances of medical school acceptance. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

My Information/Stats (thus far)
I will be graduating this year with a 3.39 cGPA (calculated with the AMCAS GPA Calculator). Realistically, I am most likely going to be going the D.O. route and plan to utilize their grade replacement policy. I will be retaking three general courses that I have received a C in during my freshman year. Hypothetically, if I receive an A for these classes, I am looking at a 3.49 cGPA (according the the AMCAS GPA Calculator). Additionally, I have received mostly A's with a few B's for the science pre-requisites.

Clinical/Shadowing Experience: 200+ hours volunteering at a hospice in-patient unit, spent 2 weeks on a medical mission trip to Nicaragua, ~50 hours shadowing physicians in various specialties

Volunteering: Various 1-day events that benefitted health-care organizations, have participated in several charity motorcycle rides that benefited different organizations

Work Experience: 3+ years working as a behavioral therapist for children with autism and related disorders.

Leadership: Served as a senior therapist who is responsible for a team of junior therapists and training potential hires as well as parents.

MCAT: Will be taking Sept 1st

STRONG LORs

* I am also an underrepresented minority in health-care (if that makes any difference)

** I do not plan on applying until next year so I have a good amount of time to build my application..

Questions:
1. What would be the best activities for me to take on in order to optimize my chances of getting an acceptance? I've been considering taking on a tutoring position, shadowing D.O.s, and getting involved with research, I am also in the process of organizing my own charity ride to benefit a health-care organization. Any good recommendations for non-medical volunteering?

2. I am slightly worried about my grades that I received for my last semester. My grades/GPA throughout my undergrad have been mostly consistent with a major upward trend only from my freshmen to sophomore year (when I decided to pursue a career in medicine). Other than that I have been receiving a few C's every few semesters (as well as my last). How will schools view this? Overall, I have recieved 6 C's in total, but as mentioned above, I am planning on retaking three of them..

Thanks in advance!
1) I think it's evident you have a very good idea of what would strengthen your application. Nonmedical community service ideas: Meals on Wheels, homeless or women's shelter, soup kitchen, food pantry, crisis hotline, after school tutoring of kids or ESL for adults, Big Brother/Big Sister, Special Olympics or coaching athletic programs for the physically disabled, helping with a scout troop or other youth group, providing enrichment classes in a poor school (eg, science demonstrations or health topics), Habitat for Humanity, or Humane Society. Try to give your time on a regular basis, ideally weekly or twice monthly. Note that some of these would also cover Teaching (tutoring, TA, coach, mentor).

2) It would be best if you end with an upward grade trend before you apply. Even better if you get As in upper-level bio and Biochem over this last year to reassure adcomms that you have what it takes.