Advice on a special circumstance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PetiteFeet

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
-Thanks for the advice everyone!-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your ECs are excellent, but that MCAT is lethal, even for DO schools. Your GPAs are low (but not lethal) for MD schools, but fine for DO schools.

Raising the MCAT is your top priority, and you'll want a 30+ to have a shot at MD schools. Aim for 26+ to be competitive at DO schools. If you are set on MD schools, keep in mind that your GPAs are below the accepted average, so you'll want to compensate by scoring comparatively higher on the MCAT. Ideally, you should aim for a 33+ if you want to have a solid shot at MD schools.

Best of luck on your January exam!

You're doing everything right, so concentrate on acing the MCAT.

1) Is there anything meaningful I can contribute to my application in addition to a really good MCAT score? I can take classes at my job for free and I was thinking of taking human physiology or Biochemistry II as those are the only two upper level classes that I didn't take and my general science classes were all A's and B's.

Don't forget Emory, Mercer and PCOM-GA.

2) Does anyone have any experience with applicants that are from military families? My husband will be coming to Augusta, Georgia for good soon, which leaves MCG as my only option. Should I send a letter of intent along with my application? Or should I include it as a part of my personal statement or secondary application?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your advice, Goro and Proud MD. I will focus all my energies right now into acing the MCAT and I will include Emory, Mercer and, PCOM-GA in my application.

Reactions: 1 user