Advice On Applying To Do Schools Now In January

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RafMin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I applied to only MD schools and didn't get much interview calls. My MCAT score is a 34R and I have a 3.69 GPA. I have a B.S. in Biomedical Engineering and am a Florida resident.

I was thinking about applying to DO schools now, and I wanted to know if it is too late? Do I have any chances? Any advice would be appreciated please, such as if it is too late, what schools should I apply too, etc.

Thank you so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you so much for your advice. Do you know of the schools that love 30+ MCAT scores? Also, I don't understand why DO schools are so much less competitive than MD schools..do you have any idea? From my reading, you learn basically the same stuff but in DO schools you learn some extra things..

Thank you so much for your advice. Do you know of the schools that love 30+ MCAT scores? Also, I don't understand why DO schools are so much less competitive than MD schools..do you have any idea? From my reading, you learn basically the same stuff but in DO schools you learn some extra things..

They will all love it. They generally hold a lot of value in life experiences and your interest in osteopathic medicine aside from numbers, so keep that in mind.

There are a number a reasons I perceive that DO is not as competitive as MD schools, including: people not caring about OMT, less prestige/pop culture representation of the letters, possible discrimination and increased difficulty in some of the higher end specialties.

Some schools have filing deadlines coming up in February and others in April, so complete your application asap if you're interested. Here's the official handbook of all the schools http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Documents/2014cib/2014 CIB Complete Small.pdf

Members don't see this ad :)
The reason why admissions stats are lower is purely competition. The vast majority of people applying to DO schools have lower numbers so that is the pool that the schools work with. If everyone applying had MD stats then the averages would go up. Less people apply to DO also. Since the job market is awful and is getting worse more people will apply and averages will go up. The averages are already increasing for both MD and DO every cycle. But as the above poster said, DO schools also value life experience and commitment to the DO philosophy. So they are generally more open to people even if they are lacking a little in the numbers, which I honestly think is way better in selecting people for this type of career.

Thank you for all of your replies guys. I have decided I will submit my application in June for the next cycle when it opens. Hopefully I will get in.

Don't know anything about your ECs but I'm surprised you got no love from MD schools. Either way, you'll be fine come June.