Advice on audition rotation for a DO student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pinkleton

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, 3rd year osteopathic med student here who will be applying to IM. Good grades, 242 step 1. I think I've decided to do just one audition rotation next August, but I've heard not to do it at your #1 spot. So I was thinking...instead of doing an IM sub-I at my #1 spot at the risk of not standing out, I could do either an ICU or infectious disease rotation. That way I won't directly be working with the IM service, but would be showing interest in their program/location.

I've done an ID elective (got a great LOR) and could really shine on the rotation because it's what I'm most passionate about. But since I've already done an ID rotation, will that mean less to them? Or would it look silly to have 2 LORs from ID docs assuming I can get a good one? I may look like an idiot in the ICU because of how tough that rotation can be. But I really want to do an ICU rotation for the experience

I guess I'm asking...does my rationale for foregoing the IM audition for either ICU or ID make sense? And which should I pick, ICU or ID?

Would really appreciate some input. I'm not sure I'm going about this the right way and it's real important for me to do my residency at my #1 choice, as it is for everyone I'm sure haha

Members don't see this ad.

Whatever rotation you do at this program is going to be an "audition" rotation. Using that term to apply only to a Sub-I is an artificial distinction. You need to approach any rotation there, be it an outpatient ID elective or an ICU month, as a make or break month for your application. ID and ICU docs are as much a part of the medicine department as anyone else, and their appraisal of you will weigh heavily on your application.

If you are really passionate about ID, then it would certainly be reasonable to spend a month doing that, and no one would look at your application funny for having 2 letters from ID attendings.

But the advice you've gotten about the risks inherent in doing an audition rotation at your #1 choice apply equally to these elective months as they do to a Sub-I.

I agree with SouthernIM about any rotation there will be an "audition." I would vote for you actually doing an IM rotation at your "#1" place right now, since it will give you really good insight on the program (you hear what the residents b**** about, how they get treated, what the work schedule is like, how you actually feel working with these people). Sure, there is the inherit risk of standing out in the wrong way, but I haven't really heard of OM4s doing that (by now you should have all the medical student formalities down).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys. So it seems like doing another ID rotation would likely be the best choice because I can put my best foot forward doing something I'm familiar with, rather than such a broad subject like IM

Thanks guys. So it seems like doing another ID rotation would likely be the best choice because I can put my best foot forward doing something I'm familiar with, rather than such a broad subject like IM

Yea, so I'm going to assume you didn't read my post. LOL!

Reactions: 1 user
Unless the program is out of your reach because of your app/school of graduation....your step 1 will likely get you an interview there. You don't want to do a rotation at a program then learn that they don't take DOs.