Advice on choosing a program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gratefulgas

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Doctors,

I'm a 4th year at a lower-tier US MD program. I have decent but not incredible stats; step I of 230, step II of 250. I'm going to apply broadly to programs mostly in the northeast.
Right now I'm thinking that I don't want to do a fellowship. I want to be a good doctor, and learn how to do good, safe anesthesia. I want to work hard, and obviously I expect to, but I'd rather be at a program where the work hours are reasonable. More is not better in my opinion, and I'd like some time outside of the hospital to read, exercise and socialize. The difference between a 55-60 hour work week and a 65-70 hour week is huge.
My questions: Assuming I'm even able to land a few interviews at big-name programs like Penn or Yale, is it completely crazy to rank a program like Albany Med, which is closer to my family and presumably a bit lower stress/more reasonable cost of living, over these bigger names? What was important to you guys when ranking programs? What, in general, should I be looking for when interviewing, besides happy residents? What are your opinions on how fellowship-heavy programs impact the quality of resident training?
Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Pitt is a great program, one of the best in the NE outside of B&W and Mass Gen. I ranked Pitt higher than UPenn because of personal fit with the city and program culture--even though I focused on the South. Rochester is probably better than Albany, but Albany is will likely get you where you want to go. Cleveland Clinic is also a great program. It's all about how well each program 'fits' with your own interests, values, and learning style. There are so many incredible programs out there that I'd just interview at as many and see how they all match your career and personal goals.